Gransnet forums

Chat

What has your better half fixed today?

(66 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-May-20 13:44:01

Inspired by the discussion of the wobling toilet seat and the passing references to husbands, I would like to share the following:

DH has finally (it took three months) identified the grease trap, taken the lid of it and cleaned out the blocked drain, so now I can do a whole washing without having to wade through the wash-kitchen!

What have yours done recently to make you remember why we love them?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-May-20 13:44:55

Sorry, there should have been two bs in wobbling!

Pantglas2 Mon 04-May-20 13:50:56

Breakfast on our anniversary- Buck’s Fizz scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on sourdough toast. And there’s more coming this evening

Crispy Chilli Prawns & Tartare sauce
Rumpsteak, salad and chips
M&S steamed jam pudding
Cheese & Crackers

Wot a ?

MiniMoon Mon 04-May-20 13:55:50

Well, he is outside painting the interior of the summerhouse.

I cant get him to paint the interior of the actual house though. sad

MissTree Mon 04-May-20 13:56:30

Not half as good as yours , Pantglas . Mine fixed the wheel of my vaccum So now I have to hoover. Not sure if I’m pleased or not .

Jane10 Mon 04-May-20 13:58:26

DH gas taken over all dusting, hoovering, dishwasher and dustbin duties. All without being asked he's just slowly done it. Not complaining!

Jane10 Mon 04-May-20 13:58:45

Sigh - has not gas!

SirChenjin Mon 04-May-20 14:07:12

He’s tidied out the sheds and garage after eleventy billion years of me asking politely and not so politely. This is a major step forward from someone who really doesn’t like throwing anything out - I’m very proud of him.

LadyGracie Mon 04-May-20 14:07:20

Mine has spilt tea on the new carpet, walked through the kitchen in his garden shoes, I give up!

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 14:48:29

He just said 'Right then, I'd better go and do something'

Not sure what.

BlueSky Mon 04-May-20 14:54:40

Poor DHs they can't use the classic old excuse: 'I'll do it when I've got time !' at the moment! grin

paddyanne Mon 04-May-20 14:59:39

He's making outdoor seats from whisky barrels,todays hes making the seat pads with burgundy leathercloth and studding them .Making a great job of them as he does with all his wee projects .

lemsip Mon 04-May-20 15:00:20

I am the better half, don't know what he's doing lol!

Alima Mon 04-May-20 15:04:06

Mine has done most of the ironing and then went on to fix a fence post. Makes him seem quite handy. To be honest I think he needs to find things to do to make up for all the bowls he should be playing. I’m not complaining. For a change.

dahlia Mon 04-May-20 15:06:32

My DH has almost completed an update of my potting shed. I was quite content with the rather shabby exterior it had, but he felt it was a blot on the landscape, so he has given it two new windows (old double glazing) and wooden lapping. At time of typing, he has just made and is fixing a new door. I won't know myself - I just need to keep him out now! grin

Blinko Mon 04-May-20 15:07:45

Mine's fetched our first click and collect order. That means we can do this from now on instead of taking a delivery slot from someone who might need it more. All good!

MerylStreep Mon 04-May-20 15:07:47

He's just on the last leg of painting the bungalow which also involved replacing the soffit boards. Tomorrow it's up on the roof to do the chimney.
I'm very lucky that I don't have to wait or ask twice for something to be fixed as we are both of the same mind: do it now.
Yesterday he welded the next door nieghbours Sun umbrella stands as they were wobbly. She didn't ask. We were talking over the fence and just mentioned it. Before you know it, out comes the welder. Job done.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 04-May-20 15:16:04

DH is busy doing whatever takes his fancy for that day.

We now have an even longer list of half finished jobs!

Some of these half finished jobs are needed for our house build. The plumber and water company will be back when lock down restrictions make it possible.

"I don't like to plan", is his reply when I ask when he will finish the important/essential jobs.

BBbevan Mon 04-May-20 15:36:48

He has made shuttering ,so we can make a concrete base for a wall we shall build in the garden. Probably we will make the base on Wednesday as rain if forecast for tomorrow. I love helping DH with jobs like this.

SalsaQueen Mon 04-May-20 16:44:38

erm.....nothing. He put the washing on the line when I was at work (he's been off for 8 weeks now)

BlueSky Mon 04-May-20 16:51:12

Original answer Woodmouse! grin

B9exchange Mon 04-May-20 16:58:57

Has been out cutting the grass, and trimming the hedges which means going up a high ladder which I had banned him from doing, but he sneaked out. Also cut the hedges with an electric trimmer and no goggles. He has very little sight in one eye and glaucoma in both, so damaging his good eye would be a tragedy. He is now out putting in some of the bedding plants.

I am very grateful for all his hard work, but I know he will have overdone it and with his back will hardly be able to move tomorrow, bless him!

kittylester Mon 04-May-20 17:18:35

He changed the bulb in the glass fronted cupboard in the kitchen It drives me bonkers when one has gone and they are going with increased frequency lately.

Pittcity Mon 04-May-20 17:22:27

Unblocked a toilet that he denies blocking....

sodapop Mon 04-May-20 17:26:24

I'm lucky my husband can turn his hand to most things, he has just mowed the grass and is now doing home made pizza and salad for supper.

I wish he could turn his hand to throwing away rubbish.