Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you up to?

(66 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Wed 06-May-20 16:56:54

How are you all?
I’m having a cup of tea while listening to magic radio having finished my (late as I couldn’t face eating because of the pain in my legs) lunch. What about you?

rosecarmel Thu 07-May-20 18:11:30

Beautiful shots of the woods!

rosecarmel Thu 07-May-20 18:10:38

The finch hatched smile

ArtySue Thu 07-May-20 18:00:24

Just back from my allotment. Planted out perennial spinach, moved barrowloads of bark chippings, made a cup of tea and sat in the sun watching a hedgehog then hobbled home cos my hips were hurting! Serves me right ha ha.

Hellis Thu 07-May-20 17:34:04

Just finished icing carrot and orange cup cakes and a banana and chocolate cake for tomorrow's 'stay at home' VE day street party. Going to make an afternoon tea platter for m e and my adult son who has been isolating with me. Earlier I repainted our wooden garden chairs so we have something decent to sit on in the front garden tomorrow

Happysexagenarian Thu 07-May-20 17:29:08

Vacuumed all the downstairs rooms. Did 3 baskets of ironing and put it away. Sorted out more fabric for making face masks, will cut them out tonight. Received, sanitized and put away 2 deliveries of groceries. Played with the dog in the garden, and now I'm going to have a cup of tea.

Lisagran Thu 07-May-20 16:50:32

Been for a walk in the woods and the light was wonderful!

east12 Thu 07-May-20 16:00:49

Finished some `gardening and now having a well deserves cup of tea. will go out for a long walk later.

Floradora9 Thu 07-May-20 15:46:37

To-day I have been organising a quiz for the GC for a Zoom session on Saturday . I have got questions that they will be able to answer and some difficult ones on the same theme for the parents .Thought it best to have the teams as a family to save the GC being too competitive with each other.

Sawsage2 Thu 07-May-20 15:03:52

Nowt! Playing Gummy Drop ( and Candy Crush when I run out of lives). Will go to supermarket soon for bird food ?.

Kate54 Thu 07-May-20 15:00:38

Apologies - that last post was meant to be a reply to GabriellaG54’s comment about all this domestic activity that’s going on.....just realised it was at the bottom of page 1. Haven’t quite got the hang of this yet. Same with baking.

Kate54 Thu 07-May-20 14:56:53

Well I’m useless at it so soon, I hope, because it always seems to end in disappointment.
Just been round to a neighbour’s (different street but the property backs on to our courtyard which contains eight houses and a small block of flats, many of whose residents are elderly with underlying health conditions) to ask nicely whether they think it’s a brilliant idea to light a very smelly bonfire and keep it doing for two hours in the middle of a very beautiful sunny warm day.
They sort of apologised, said it was a one off (actually the third time this week) and used the excuse that they had an awful lot of garden waste to dispose of! Just like the rest of us then!
Time to calm down and do something less interactive now.

Greciangirl Thu 07-May-20 14:33:16

Sunbathing in my garden.
Now come in as a bit too hot.

Nanna58 Thu 07-May-20 13:52:12

Using our new breadmaker we are so bored we are taking it in turns to watch through the small window using a torch! ?

Lulu16 Thu 07-May-20 13:31:32

Repotting runner beans. Can't put them out yet as Arctic Freeze on Sunday!

GrandmasueUK Thu 07-May-20 13:30:52

Finishing vacuuming upstairs and waiting for yet another lot of bedding, in the washing machine, to hang out. The other day I finally finished washing, drying and pressing the entire contents of my bedding box. I loved doing it while watching a film or two on Netflix!

rosecarmel Thu 07-May-20 13:08:55

I'm still looking to move .. not easy during all of this .. Planted some seeds from last year, it's remained chilly here, 50/s during the day, 30/s at night- Finch built a nest in a Christmas wreath I didn't get around to taking down, it doesn't sound like anything hatched yet- I've heard a pack of coyotes several times this past week- Still washing all my clothes by hand because I'm scared to go to the laundromat ..

kazzer Thu 07-May-20 13:02:24

Relaxing after 4a.m. start when OH's defibrillator monitor device started flashing! Apparently we had no mobile phone network, we live remotely with poor reception.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 07-May-20 12:52:46

Right now I am reading Gransnet and have just laughed myself sick over the kitchen disasters, which wasn't very nice of me, was it?

Spent the morning on the blower, trying to find out how I could make an appointment for a corona test, which the hospital requires me to have before going in for a hysterectomy on the 28th.

It turns out that I cannot make the appointment now, but have to wait until a week before the 26th. The nurse I spoke to yesterday obviously didn't know that, and the national test web-site seems to have been constructed by someone in a tearing hurry, who neither could write correct Danish, say what they meant, nor build a web-site.

Yes, I know they are run off their feet, but it would have been far quicker to get someone to make the site who actually knew what she was doing.

Did some shopping and looked at my three lawns, but the wind is bitingly cold, so I am not going to mow grass today.

Coconut Thu 07-May-20 12:44:27

I’ve just had an hour long Zoom call with 2 friends I’ve known since school days, we always do a quiz too so have many laughs. DGS has asked me to make him some more rock cakes today so I’ll go and do my hour power walk then get back in the kitchen !

Brunette10 Thu 07-May-20 12:39:45

Just finished light lunch. Made a chocolate crunchie traybake this morning and is now in fridge cooling. Also got duvet covers washed and out drying although the sun has disappeared here in Fife for the moment anyway. Just going to watch the news at 1pm then get out for our daily walk. Oh this is an exciting life wink

inishowen Thu 07-May-20 12:36:33

I started repotting plants then realised the new compost is in the car and it's too heavy to lift. Will ask husband later. I've changed all my wardrobe from winter to summer. Going to watch Doctors after lunch and finish the little sweater I've been knitting. At 5.30 I'll watch Richard and Judy on their new book show.

Esspee Thu 07-May-20 12:32:14

@Gilly1952. Not a whole bottle I hope??

Well, after a stunning day yesterday when I only did a little desultory gardening it is overcast today so I have been having a 2 hour battle with Talktalk as our broadband has been cutting out for hours at a time every single day for more than a week. So far they have made three appointments for engineer visits two of which were kept and sent me two new routers.

The actual problem is in the open-reach fibre cabinet down the hill. I know this because another Openreach box outside my neighbour’s usually has at least 3 engineer visits per day since the problem started (there are about 35 customers from various suppliers affected) and I am on first name terms with several of them. They do not have access to the fibre box.

It is so frustrating communicating with Talktalk when you explain the situation and they insist on sending yet another router or making an appointment for yet another engineer to come out.

Anyway they threatened to close my complaint if I refused to agree to an engineer’s appointment so my only hope is that another provider chases up Openreach and they send someone to fix the problem.

I’m now going away to bash my head against a wall.

Missgran Thu 07-May-20 12:16:29

Me too we were sitting out in garden yesterday we should have been in Rome this week got refunded from Jet2 waiting to hear from them about our July holiday in Jesolo hoping to get away in England as you say it would be nice for a change of scene and not have to cook

FlyingHandbag Thu 07-May-20 12:09:35

I feel quite a bit better today. How did the sourdough turn out missfoodlove

Missgran Thu 07-May-20 11:31:44

Just having a cup of tea after been to the shops listening to the radio going to make some ciabatta after my cuppa