Gransnet forums

Chat

THIS IS HOW I SEE IT

(62 Posts)
phoenix Wed 06-May-20 19:19:54

To all GN Members

Complaining about my husband in a light hearted way should not offend or upset those who have lost theirs, as indeed members writing about their adult children in a similar way shouldn't offend those (myself included) who have lost theirs.

We all have losses to contend with, and they may be harder to bear at this time, but if we can smile at least once a day, surely that is what those who have left us would want, and those left behind, need.

The fact that they are dead, doesn't make them perfect. I'm sure that they had their foibles and peccadiloes, which no doubt annoyed or irritated you.

Don't beatify them, they were men, both special and ordinary, but nonetheless loved, as indeed my dh is.

Thank you for reading.

Dollymc1 Wed 06-May-20 21:44:56

Phoenix, no one could love their husband more than I love mine
HOWEVER, when he eats an ice lolly, I have to leave the room, I have misophonia
I enjoy reading your posts

GrannyLaine Wed 06-May-20 21:46:13

Spot on phoenix

MawB Wed 06-May-20 21:48:37

I don’t agree that anybody “defending” their husband - whether alive or dead- is necessarily beatifying them.
In the same way, if he does not happen to share the shortcomings expressed by OP (whatever those might be) - what is the problem with saying so?
Yes, threads of this type (and we have had a few) are lighthearted but the custom of knocking “ ‘im indoors “ like the stereotyped mother-in-law figure is to me as dated as Les Dawson or Andy Capp and frequently out of touch with reality.

Suki70 Wed 06-May-20 21:51:17

Well said phoenix , I agree with you and enjoy reading your posts.

Oldbutstilluseful Wed 06-May-20 21:51:39

Phoenix as a long time divorcee, I really enjoy the humour in your posts. I love how the warmth and love between you and Mr P come shining through. Please keep on cheering us up with your posts.

HAZBEEN Wed 06-May-20 22:01:07

I dont know what prompted you to post this Phoenix but if anyone has "had a go" I would say they need to get a sense of humour. I love your posts! I am another who has lost a child but I dont object or have a go when someone posts about their children. Likewise I dont get upset when someone says about hugging their Grand kids, my GS is autistic and I cant hug him as he doesnt do contact like that but good on those that can cuddle. Please dont stop posting about Mr P.

merlotgran Wed 06-May-20 22:01:32

I suppose it goes back to the familiar argument on here that if you don't like or approve of a thread, don't go on it.

Callistemon Wed 06-May-20 23:01:39

We all enjoy your stories about Mr P and his foibles, phoenix.

In fact I think he's become rather a cult figure, thank you for sharing him.

MissTree Wed 06-May-20 23:13:43

I think we should start a Phoenix Appreciation Society. You have cheered up many more people than you have upset. I have laughed out loud at your posts and I look forward to them.
It’s a tricky one isn’t it ? Like Ginny I have hesitated to post about my OH for fear of offending someone on here who has lost a partner.
If people have read your ‘ many many’ posts they should know you are very fond of Mr P and are only joking.

Luckygirl Wed 06-May-20 23:22:18

My OH died in February - in no way was he perfect. There were things I loved about him and things that drove me nuts. I miss him lots - even the things that drove me nuts. That is life; real life.

I was entirely capable of grumbling about him or joking about his foibles when it was appropriate.

I am sure it was the same for him too.

Hang on in there phoenix.

Coolgran65 Thu 07-May-20 00:54:42

phoenix. Glad to see you came back on this.
I always look forward to your posts. Do not change your way of posting in any fashion.

cavewoman Thu 07-May-20 04:07:58

You're always good for a chuckle phoenix

Your mini blogs are a delight to read.

The world is miserable enough at the moment.

Teetime Thu 07-May-20 10:10:17

Good post phoenix I often stop myself posting something funny DH has said or done because I think I might offend someone who has lost their DH- he does do some weird stuff at times and the miscommunication due to his deafness can be hilarious.

Squiffy Thu 07-May-20 10:28:46

Keep on keeping on Phoenix! Mr P is becoming a legend in his own lifetime! grin

I think the other poster was having a bad day. It was most unlike her, so I hope she's all right.

TwiceAsNice Thu 07-May-20 12:06:03

Love your sense of humour Phoenix please keep posting. People and life are not perfect and let’s not pretend they are/ it is. It’s a pity your posts can’t be taken in the way they were intended

Lizzies Thu 07-May-20 12:12:29

I lost my husband earlier this year and my dad last month. I hope that I can carry on thinking of them both with a smile and even a chuckle when I remember their little and not so little foibles. They were both lovely people and thinking of them makes me happy and sad at the same time.

ninathenana Thu 07-May-20 12:15:33

Great OP phoenix I've always enjoyed your humour.

sodapop Thu 07-May-20 12:16:50

So sorry Lizzies such a sad time for you. It's good to hear thoughts of them still make you chuckle. Thinking of you thanks

farview Thu 07-May-20 17:58:40

When I see a new thread title..I can usually tell when it's a pheonix one..?and always look forward to reading it..your humour is wonderful..⚘

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 18:09:28

Thank you to all who have posted, and my apologies to those who I have inadvertently upset or offended. flowers

SueDonim Thu 07-May-20 18:40:39

smile

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-May-20 18:50:05

Carry on Phoenix in this strange time your posts are lovely to read and make me smile ??‍♀️

maddyone Thu 07-May-20 18:51:08

I think that your OP was lovely Phoenix. Thank you.

My sister lost her husband ten years ago. I tried my best to support her through the most difficult time for her (won’t go into the various things my husband and myself did, but there was lot) but one thing that frequently upset me was when she would say ‘You’ve still got your husband!’ in quite a nasty tone. I never once said anything back to her, but it did hurt me. Likewise when she said, most unkindly in my opinion, that no one ever did anything for her. I found it very hurtful.

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 18:58:31

Oh, maddyone that resonates! When DS2 died, I thought that would be the one thing that might build a bridge with my mother (she had suddenly decided that ideas persona non grata, long story, perhaps for another time?)

I phoned her in tears, hoping for some sort of reconciliation, I said "Mum, I've lost my boy"

She replied, "Yes, and I've lost a grandson, but you still have a husband" and hung up!

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 18:59:50

"I was" not "ideas" damn predictive text!