Gransnet forums

Chat

THIS IS HOW I SEE IT

(62 Posts)
phoenix Wed 06-May-20 19:19:54

To all GN Members

Complaining about my husband in a light hearted way should not offend or upset those who have lost theirs, as indeed members writing about their adult children in a similar way shouldn't offend those (myself included) who have lost theirs.

We all have losses to contend with, and they may be harder to bear at this time, but if we can smile at least once a day, surely that is what those who have left us would want, and those left behind, need.

The fact that they are dead, doesn't make them perfect. I'm sure that they had their foibles and peccadiloes, which no doubt annoyed or irritated you.

Don't beatify them, they were men, both special and ordinary, but nonetheless loved, as indeed my dh is.

Thank you for reading.

Doodle Thu 07-May-20 19:09:27

phoenix ? that’s awful. I am so sorry. flowers.

farview Thu 07-May-20 19:13:18

pheonix..what a terribly hurtful thing for your mother to say...?

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 19:17:00

Yes, it was, but can't change it. She never gave me the opportunity to sort out whatever it was that set her on that path.

As I say, another story for another time.

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-May-20 19:33:17

Ah, phoenix, it sounds as though you’ve been ticked off. I’m sorry. It happens so often on here. The fact is, all of us have worries and tragedies in our lives, it’s the human condition. There will be times, perhaps more often at the moment, when we just don’t want to read a light-hearted thread, or hear people laughing and enjoying themselves. At those times I’m afraid it’s up to us to avoid them, not to demand that everyone else stop all the clocks. Please keep on cheering us up, most of us appreciate it even more at the moment.

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-May-20 19:34:41

Oh my goodness, phoenix, your mother’s reaction! shock

thanks for you.

BlueSky Thu 07-May-20 20:15:44

Phoenix I liked you before but even more so now. flowers

maddyone Thu 07-May-20 20:20:35

Oh Phoenix what a terrible thing for your mother to say. Even after all my sister’s remarks, I gasped as I read what your mother said. That’s so sad, I’m so sorry it happened to you. flowers

GabriellaG54 Thu 07-May-20 20:26:44

When you turn to your mum and she turns away...there can be no harder blow.
So sad and sorry about that ? phoenix

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 20:40:54

Thank you all, your posts are very much appreciated.

Gabriella your post was so well phrased, I'd never thought of it in those terms, but you're right.

One day I may tell the story, at least the bits of it I know!

NanaandGrampy Thu 07-May-20 21:01:18

These days Phoenix tree is ALWAYS someone who is willing , ready and able to be offended !

So quite frankly you’re damned if you do and dames if you don’t.

I love Grampy but I’m not shortsighted enough to be unable to see him for who he is annoyances, foibles and all. I don’t love him any less by voicing them . Neither would he be offended to hear them.

Keep on keeping on Phoenix!

NanaandGrampy Thu 07-May-20 21:01:58

Tree???.......I mean ‘ there is’...of course!