Gransnet forums

Chat

Where is the lockdown community spirit

(123 Posts)
Gingster Sat 09-May-20 20:52:24

My 80 yr old sister In law lives on a new estate with lovely houses with families all around her. Not one neighbour has knocked on her door to offer help or assistance,

notanan2 Sun 10-May-20 15:20:29

Theres a world of difference between organising a community event that you have an interest in, and putting yourself at personal risk to get essentials to others

The two are incomparable.

When we're told that every contact = risk its a different kettle if fish and nobody is "owed" from doing non risky hobby volunteering pre pandemic.

The people checking on others now will have the question returned.
The healthy looking 20yr old might actually be the most vulnerable on the street.
Thats why community under lockdown is about everyone looking out for everyone.

essjay Sun 10-May-20 15:45:46

we also have the Nextdoor app which has been great for people looking for and offering services and also posting warnings of scams etc. my next door neighbour despite having a houseful has offered to shop for me if I need it and if doesn't see me for a few days, messages me to see if I am ok. she will always help any one who needs it

CBBL Sun 10-May-20 16:29:08

I live in a small village with no shop, Pub, Church or Bus service. There are 10 houses in our street (there is a second street to the village) and apart from one neighbour (who lives opposite), we had no offers of help until I registered my husband on the Government website after he received the "Extremely Vulnerable" letter. I gave my phone number to our next door neighbour before this happened. We always wave to everyone when coming and going in the car - neither of can walk far! The Volunteer came from our nearest town, yet there are two other villages closer than this. Even our local Farm Shop (in the next village) closed down, after the Lockdown was announced. No one here (in the street) goes outside to clap for the NHS - so now we (hubby and myself) do this indoors. People are not nasty, but there is little evidence of community spirit here. Last year, when one of my cats was missing for four days, I leafletted the entire village (both streets) and those people who were at home were all friendly and many had seen my cat (prior to her disappearance). I had some phone calls from people who had seen her in the previous couple of days, and we did eventually get her back (she was on a local farm, outside of the village). There is no Community Hall or indeed, any other space for Community activity here - so perhaps that's why?

Jaye53 Sun 10-May-20 16:34:47

Dont need it but havent been offered any. But I think you have to SEARCH and ASK im afraid as help IS out there. Good luck

Billybob4491 Sun 10-May-20 16:42:05

I live in a London suburb and I have had several offers of help from neighbours. One neighbour in particular would rather cross the road than say "good morning", yet he puts a note through my door nearly every day asking if I need anything. One thing this lockdown has taught me is never judge a book by its cover!

Brigidsdaughter Sun 10-May-20 17:14:19

That is a shame.
We had two of the forms through, 4 contacts in all should we need help. We dont but I kept them just in case. We're in a built up area SW London so perhaps more organisers around. I'm on a next door app. Lots of rubbish in chats but lots of real community spirit too

Gingster Sun 10-May-20 17:20:22

I’m not talking about social calls. A knock on the door and stand back. Say hello just wondering if you’re ok? Here’s my number IF you would like it. That’s all I’m saying. No big deal ....... but it is to her.

notanan2 Sun 10-May-20 17:33:05

As you SIL IS getting everything SHE needs, why isnt SHE knocking on doors checking whether they have the essentials they need?

Gingster Sun 10-May-20 18:21:44

She isn’t strong g enough to knock on people’s doors. She’s an elderly lady

notanan2 Sun 10-May-20 18:25:35

Right now youre being rediculous.

You want her to be answering her door to an stream of well wishers? How if she isnt strong enough?

If she cant even enquire from her door/window/fence about how others are doing then how are all these door knockers you want supposed to chat to her?

notanan2 Sun 10-May-20 18:34:01

So they have a neighbour who isnt strong enough to have a brief conversation, is having regular family visits and deliveries, and you want people to knock on a door she cant answer anyway during lockdown. For no reason as she has all her needs met.

Sandrax Sun 10-May-20 19:31:10

Hackney in London lots of neighbours say "Ask if you need anything". Phoned by the Housing Association and the Local Council to ask if I need help and giving me numbers to phone and the internet neighbourhood group offers too. Luckily I don't need help at the moment but it helps me feel that there are people who would be there for me.

grannysyb Sun 10-May-20 19:51:26

London suburb, loads of help offered, and even more now I've broken my wrist! We have such lovely neighbours.

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 20:07:00

You are being very unpleasant to someone who is worried about her elderly, vulnerable sister, notanan.

Par for the course, though.
Take no notice, Gingster.

We dont need this unpleasantness on threads where people are expressing their anxieties.

notanan2 Sun 10-May-20 20:11:30

You are being very unpleasant to someone who is worried about her elderly, vulnerable sister, notanan.

Worried about what? she said the SIL has everything she needs! All her needs are met. Her deliveries are arriving. OP is able to visit too. There is no deficit to be met

notanan2 Sun 10-May-20 20:12:59

its just a needless "young families have no community spirit" thread.

Distegarding that those young families may be the very ones who are vulnerable and not having needs met...

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 20:15:38

Oh, great.
Other needs could be some social interaction with others.

It's all very well for those with their family living with them.

Heartless.
Just like the horrid criticism of those who are shielding sending for yarn or other craft materials to fill the endless days on their own as they self-isolate.

notanan2 Sun 10-May-20 20:17:47

The SIL has more social contact than most. She has family dropping by weekly.

We're all missing social contact.

This is no stick to beat the "young uns" with

Chewbacca Sun 10-May-20 20:41:09

young 'uns? hmm

Gingster simply said that her neighbours were "families"; she never mentioned their age did she? And, to be fair*notanan*; you seem to be being unduly harsh and judgemental in your responses to her. Is there any particular reason for that?

Whilst I agree that communication and looking out for each other is a two way street, for those who are physically mobile and possibly have access to a car, it's really no hardship to just knock on a door, or pop a note through the door to say you're going to the shops, do they need anything is it?

HannahLoisLuke Sun 10-May-20 22:46:14

I'm shielded and can't go out but thankfully have lovely neighbours who've offered help right from the start and we didn't even really know each other before.
One chap brings me my newspaper every day and a lady two doors up cooked me a lovely Sunday roast on Easter Sunday.
Unfortunately she then went down with the virus two days later. She's fine now thank goodness but I must admit to having a scary couple of weeks.

peaches50 Sun 10-May-20 22:59:05

I haven't been on this for sometime - but move to Basildon folks. Via next door a community forum, to help one nurse in our local hospital who was doing 12 hours shifts but cooking hot meals on her days off (with fears over PPE and not wishing to leave their dying patients going for 12 hours with little to eat or drink) , we now have Mums Army - feeding the front line from our kitchens. see www.zedgeneration.uk. Our local Round Table donated cash so I can arrange supplies, donations came from neighbours, people shopping (we are shielded). We live by a new estate when I am in the front garden they stop with their children social distance allowing and see if husband and I are OK - bicyclists smile and wave and have a chat.It's made being parted from beloved sons and grandchildren for so long almost bearable. I'm sure this caring side of what we thought was an indifferent society is being replicated elsewhere. Essex council are brilliant - we have a young man calling once a week 'man chatting' with husband going demented trapped with me alone; lovely volunteers who do our shopping, government letters and as we were missed off the 1.5 million list even a food parcel yesterday! I'm cancelling as others need it more and I've got people making sure we are not isolated, depressed or left to ourselves. I am so proud and grateful to live in a wonderful country. We will get through this.

Luckygirl Sun 10-May-20 23:05:38

Masses of it round here. I have loads of options for getting any help I might need.

SIL has become an NHS "Shield Buddy" and is getting people's shopping and also ringing up to check on some others.