Gransnet forums

Chat

Will the Staying Alert send out mixed messages

(146 Posts)
12Michael Sun 10-May-20 11:39:56

Using Staying Alert in England , where Scotland and Wales and maybe NI will still use Stay Home.
To me Stay Alert means being on the ALERT to all things.
The slogan could also be misread like all Government gobbledegook .
If Stay Home was redone as Stay at Home, but also state what that means , As we are aware we need to shop and exercise as part of are daily routine .
But how many will misread it all.
Mick

Lucca Mon 11-May-20 07:29:07

To be fair to people it isn’t that simple to organise. If you’re expected to go back to work does that make you a key worker and give you access to school ? If not and a nursery local to you is not operational what do you do ? And surely you can’t put children aged 10 or 11 in nursery ? It’s complicated for many people so let’s not get all superior about it when posters are concerned

almostelderly Mon 11-May-20 07:41:07

I found it confusing with mixed messages. It wasn't clear who was supposed to be returning to work today, if measures were being taken regarding their safety at work and on public transport. It appears that in England, people can go out as they please but cannot have contact with family unless in the same household. The other nations are doing it their way which is creating separatism in a time of crisis, I am stranded in Wales, I was caught in the lockdown so I am unable to return home to England at present. It is very frustrating.

Grandad1943 Mon 11-May-20 08:06:06

Although not normally a Tory supporter I have felt that up to this point Johnson and the government had handled this crisis well.

However, this action by the government seems totally confusing if not in many circumstances unworkable. To take just one example, many workers living in Newport and Chepstow etc are employed by companies located on Severnside. Being that Wales has maintained that only journies by essential workers are allowed, is someone working in the huge wine warehouse in Avonmouth England now allowed to make that journey across the seven bridge to work?

There are also reports of workers waiting outside companies on Severnside which have not unlocked their gates as no preparation for working under social distancing etc has been made.

Total Chaos.

Baggs Mon 11-May-20 08:08:49

Why do people expect clear, certain messages when the situation is fraught with unknowns and uncertainties? "The science" is in progress rather than decided and decisive.

NanaTuesday Mon 11-May-20 08:12:31

Mixed Messages indeed - “ Stay Alert” Is not Stay Home it is Giving a Green Light to the very section of the population that have been ignoring the “ Stay Home “ Request .
These people re the ones gathering in the Parks , Popping around to friends & relations houses as if nothing was wrong .
Personally , I have stayed home & out of shops . I am confused as everyone now bit will still continue with my Stay Home Self Isolating .
Come on Westminster be clearer than this !

NanaTuesday Mon 11-May-20 08:18:46

@Grandad1943 Exactly , This is what we were saying last night ?
How many people would be so confused that they would actually turn up for awoke this morning .
What I feel should of been said was that “ Employers should start the process of reducing Furloughed Staff In Industry & Construction ? starting from now on that they should communicate this to Employees”,
It was too airy fairy . Workers cannot all be returning to work regardless of whether a Company Workplace has Social Distancing in place as Schools are not going to be open . How do you manage. Childcare with No School’s, Nurseries , GrandParent Care Givers ?

Grandad1943 Mon 11-May-20 08:23:11

Baggs Quote [Why do people expect clear, certain messages when the situation is fraught with unknowns and uncertainties? ] End Quote.

Baggs, in regard to the above, does a worker living in Newport Wales risk today travelling to their employment in Severnside England.

I suppose if he or she gets booked by the police for that travel that would clarify the situation in your eyes, would it not Baggs.

growstuff Mon 11-May-20 08:23:55

The current state pension age is (almost) 66 - just saying!

vegansrock Mon 11-May-20 08:25:52

Loads of nurseries are not still open, In fact many will go out of business without support, and it’s not as simple as dumping your child at anyone that is open, presumably they have to cater for children enrolled, staffing issues, ppe, settling child in etc. But of course we should all have had a crystal ball and sorted this out weeks ago ( just like the government)

JenniferEccles Mon 11-May-20 09:47:59

I am sure the government credited the population with enough common sense to work out the finer details of their own individual circumstances for themselves.

The PM’s talk last night lasted around 15 minutes but more details are to be released later today, all of which will be in newspapers over the next few days.

We have had the past 7 weeks or so to plan for the inevitable limited return to work.

Why do so many react as if this has been sprung on them ?

Grammaretto Mon 11-May-20 09:51:05

vegansrock precisely what I was thinking. Logistical nightmare.

DS and DDiL have been at work but juggling hours to cover childcare. The school has only been open to children where both DP are key workers who cannot work from home. The school has only had 9 pupils and that is from 2 schools. It is a childminding service.

Baggs Mon 11-May-20 10:21:00

Granddad, Begin quote: Baggs Quote [Why do people expect clear, certain messages when the situation is fraught with unknowns and uncertainties? ] End Quote.
Baggs, in regard to the above, does a worker living in Newport Wales risk today travelling to their employment in Severnside England.
I suppose if he or she gets booked by the police for that travel that would clarify the situation in your eyes, would it not Baggs.
End quote.

Has that person been able to work from home? If not, has their employer told them to come to work? If not, has the person spoken to their employer to ask about what comes next in that particular part of the economy? Etc, etc.

It isn't all down to government. I think the message is, in part, "use your nous" (and other people's nous, e.g. that of one's employer as well).

I think the police have been, on balance, more unhelpful than helpful during lockdown.

Anyway, the simple answer to your question is maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on the fraught unknowns and uncertainties of the situation, as I mentioned above.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 10:30:07

We started preparing our business to go back to work on the first day of lockdown, any responsible employer should have done the same and kept their employees informed.

My cleaner messaged me yesterday saying she is working from next week and forwarded me the Government guidelines from Gov.co.uk relating to working in people's homes. Easy to understand and totally workable in the majority of homes.

Boris Johnson /Conservative/Brexit haters will always hate and object.

Blinko Mon 11-May-20 10:32:41

For those of us over 70, it seems pretty straightforward. Shielded remain in isolation. The rest of us can carry on doing what we've been doing: visiting a shop for food/medicine infrequently, otherwise staying home.

Now we can extend our activities somewhat and meet a friend or even a family member in a public place, whilst keeping 2mtrs distance.

For those who've had childcare responsibilities there are other considerations, of course. But for many of us it seems fairly simple...

notanan2 Mon 11-May-20 10:36:01

It was too airy fairy . Workers cannot all be returning to work regardless of whether a Company Workplace has Social Distancing in place

theyre not. that was not what he said.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 10:40:03

agree notanan2

Blinko Mon 11-May-20 10:40:49

GrannyGravy grateful if you could please post a link to the guidance for those who work in people's homes? Thanks..

notanan2 Mon 11-May-20 10:43:45

I hope it will be alright but in my immediate family we have several key workers whose partners have been able to wfh and cover childcare , with difficulty, but what happens if the partners are expected to go back to work. Stay alert?

WFHers are to STILL WORK FROM HOME.

Work out of home couples can arrange to "tag team". We have had to do this at short notice several times during our childrens upbringing either because childcare fell through or our children needed us home.

You can take leave. One parent can reduce hours and the other increase so you have a SAHP temporarily.

Single parents can ask to be the one from the firm who home works if your workplace requires SOME client facing/production and some admin. They may need to ask to be redeployed to an admin role for this. But there are solutions. Even the NHS has SOME work from homeable roles. Most businesses require a back office.

Ask. Discuss.

notanan2 Mon 11-May-20 10:45:25

How do these hypothetical headless chickens cope normally if their childcare closes/gives notice/gets ill/doesnt suit their children?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 10:48:16

Blinko Gov.co.uk social distancing in the workplace during Coronavirus (Covid-19) : sector guidance, it is the third highlighted section.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 10:50:31

I am getting worried notanan2 as I find myself agreeing with you more and more ??

Ilovecheese Mon 11-May-20 10:55:47

Grannygravy13 on the Victoria Derbyshire show this morning she advised that cleaners should not go into people's homes. Looks like the press is confused too.

Ilovecheese Mon 11-May-20 10:57:13

Dominic Raab has given 2 conflicting messages regarding meeting parents in the space of one morning. How is this not confusing?

maddyone Mon 11-May-20 10:57:20

I’m sorry, but I don’t buy into this confusion. Workers were told not to return until Wednesday. What’s ambiguous about that? Wednesday. Why are people returning today? Have I gone to sleep on Sunday night and woken up on Wednesday? And the instruction to go back when social distancing measures can be maintained so maybe not even on Wednesday. It’s not confusing. Further guidance will be announced today. Obviously in one ten minute address to the nation the guidelines for every part of life can’t be given. We will be given further guidance as the situation develops.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-May-20 11:02:08

Ilovecheese no confusion it is all on the Gov.co.uk website, just sloppy journalism!!!