Gransnet forums

Chat

PMs message

(799 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 10-May-20 19:20:05

Well, whaddya think?

I thought he came across very well. No long words. No faffing. Plain and simple.

MayBee70 Fri 15-May-20 21:02:06

I was told I needed a Avon S12 FM Mask size 6. [50-100?]. Whatever that is. [this was from someone I was speaking to on the phone yesterday about car insurance].

Firecracker123 Sat 16-May-20 09:47:23

The Mayor of Liverpool {Labour) and now Hartlepool (Labour) both refusing to open schools, no surprises there then. Thank the Unions for that they are still smarting from Labour's massive defeat in the General Election. When your children's education goes down the pan you can thank Labour and the Unions for that.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-May-20 09:51:28

I see that doctors are advising that opening schools on 1st June is too dangerous.

Lucca Sat 16-May-20 10:07:30

Firecracker I did ask you before how you see distancing working in schools ? Also I gather you think it is a good idea so must have an idea how it would work

Lucca Sat 16-May-20 10:09:16

White wave. Of course they do but politicians know better.
In Sydney, where there have been so few cases the children are even now only going back one day a week.

Firecracker123 Sat 16-May-20 10:43:12

If you watched the Government briefing last night a question was asked about schools I suggest you watch that Lucca you might learn something from an expert.

Firecracker123 Sat 16-May-20 10:51:02

What about the key workers children who have been attending school and nursery school they seem to be coping, no newspaper headlines declaring otherwise.

The private schools will be going back because the teachers wouldn't be paid if they refused unlike local authority teachers who are.

trisher Sat 16-May-20 11:30:58

Really Firecracker123 where do you get your information ? Most of the teaching staff employed in the Independent sector are on contracts and so will be paid. A small number may be paid termly and will lose out. But there are teachers in LEAs who are not on contract and are only paid for the time they work. It really isn't as simple as you seem to imagine.
One of the reasons key workers children are safe is because the numbers are low send in more children and they will be at risk.

Sparklefizz Sat 16-May-20 11:47:49

The children of key workers are at higher risk because their parents are on the front line and possibly bringing home the virus, so I wouldn't say "key workers' children are safe".

My daughter is a teacher, therefore a key worker herself, who has been teaching the children of other key workers all the way through.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-May-20 12:03:00

This seems both sensible and humane

Lucca Sat 16-May-20 12:06:11

Firecracker. Would you be able to just summarise a couple of the suggestions which you thought workable ?

Lucca Sat 16-May-20 12:10:26

Private schools wouldn’t pay their teachers ???

westendgirl Sat 16-May-20 12:15:00

Firecracker, Who was the expert on education in the briefing yesterday ?I must have missed them .

Iam64 Sat 16-May-20 13:23:14

Firecracker, the north west and north east have increasing levels of Covid infections. Andy Burnham, Gtr Manchester's Mayor is recommending that decisions about lifting the lockdown would be better devolved to the regions so the responses are focussed on local need.
Maybe you could check your facts -of course teachers in private schools are paid.
The children of key workers and vulnerable children who are in school are more easily kept safe because there are so few of them in school

MayBee70 Sat 16-May-20 13:32:43

And, from what I've seen round here, teachers have been keeping the children outside as much as possible which is, of course, much safer for everyone. Thankfully the weather has been good.

Sunlover Sat 16-May-20 14:49:26

The Primary school I taught in has over 900 pupils. During lockdown there has been a maximum of 10 children and often as few as 3. Much easier to social distance and supervise a small number. If Yr 6 go back that’s 120 children. Much much harder. Can’t even begin to imagine if Reception and Yr 1 also go back. Just glad I am no longer having to be involved in these very difficult decisions.

Hetty58 Sat 16-May-20 15:34:47

Firecracker123 it was anticipated that 20% of children would be in school during lockdown (those of key workers and the vulnerable).

However, people used their common sense and/or were worried about virus transmission so only 2% have been attending.

Hetty58 Sat 16-May-20 16:03:33

(Firecracker seems to have gone off - shame)

Firecracker123 Sat 16-May-20 18:09:20

On the Government briefing last night there was a question about schools, and both women on the panel, can't think of their names talked about sending children back to school. Look on YouTube if you are interested.
It is up to the parents if they want to send them, if I had children now I would.

Lucca Sat 16-May-20 18:47:45

You still won’t say which ideas you think will work!!

Firecracker123 Sat 16-May-20 19:11:36

I have never said I had any ideas, I'm leaving that to the experts. I just believe children should be in school if the government says they should be.

MamaCaz Sat 16-May-20 19:32:38

So of the Government said you should jump off a cliff, you would do that too, Firecracker?
Sounds stupid, but that seems to be the logic that you are applying!

Lucca Sat 16-May-20 19:35:41

But you have watched all these briefings surely there are suggestions in them that you think are worth mentioning!?
If you do Not have any ideas how can you support the idea of children back to school end of story no discussion etc.

Lucca Sat 16-May-20 19:36:54

Sorry to go on but you trust the experts? So for the return to school who are the experts ? The BMA Who say it is not safe ...they are doctors after all..

Firecracker123 Sat 16-May-20 19:48:17

Of course not but in this instance I agree with them that children should be going to school. Parents don't have to send their children if they don't want to. The Government can't be fairer than that. No parent will be fined for not sending their child to school.