Gransnet forums

Chat

Piers Morgan’s interview with Nicola Sturgeon

(86 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Mon 11-May-20 10:56:48

What did you think of Piers Morgan’s interview this morning with Nicola sturgeon and Please please intelligent answers only.

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 13:32:22

I wish too that it was made clear that Scottish figures (and probably figures for Wales and the North of England, too) are behind those for London and Southern England, not higher. It was said weeks ago that London was a week (at least) ahead of the rest of the country, so the peak would be later. The rise started later, so of course the peak has been reached later, and of course the numbers won't drop as soon. That should be taken into account when any relaxation is considered. What FitzJames doesn't necessarily FitzHerbert.

paddyanne Mon 11-May-20 13:32:24

Grannyjay maybe you should have a word with Nicola's granny who is ENGLISH She might be able to set you right...Like most of us that I know in the Independence movement I also have an English son in law and GD ,english cousins and uncles and ( god help ius all) ENGLISH friends .I get on very well with them all .OUR problem is Westminster seems you find that hard to understand.
Imagine ....you have a business its doing very well ,the company down the road isn't doing as well BUT its bigger and a wee bit of a bully so it forces you to hand over ALL your income and it gives you pocket money back...it also borrows money and tells you that 10% of everything it borrows is YOUR debt.That money they've taken off you is spent on extravagances that you dont want or need.things like a gardenbridge that costs £45 MIllion even though its never built or rail networks you'll never use and replacing sewers in a country you dont live or work in .THATS our problem WE hand over all our revenue and westminster spends it on stuff THEY think THEY need we are given debts we haven't accrued and stuck with budgets we shouldn't havve to adhere to.
Scotland is a wealthy country ....just one of our products is 25% of ALL food and drink exports from the UK ...and theres more much more .
Independence is NORMAL we were taken into the union against our will and its taken us 300+ years to get enough people behind us that might make our indepndence a reality .tThere have been over 100 countries who have gained independence from the UK ....NONE of them have asked to come back .We would rather have good neighbours than bad masters ,after all it was a TREATY that was signed ,any country who signs a treaty can walk away from it without permission...didn't England decide to do just that with the EU ?

MawB Mon 11-May-20 13:38:58

I hate to disagree with you Elegran and indeed rarely do, but the graph with the coloured lines showed a sharper decrease in the London figures and at least one showed the NW had more cases. If we look at per capita figures Scotland and Wales are not yet doing well enough.

MawB Mon 11-May-20 13:42:02

This is not the one I meant, but it is useful.

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 13:51:59

Isn't that the same as I was saying? - London numbers may be decreasing but Scottish ones are not matching the fall yet.

Grannyjay Mon 11-May-20 13:53:26

I think I touched a raw nerve Paddyanne ?

Elizabeth1 Mon 11-May-20 13:57:25

How I enjoyed these comments thank you so much all pretty civilised. Mind you I recall visiting the head of the charity I worked for in London. ( I’m Scottish)Who it seemed had little or no knowledge of Scottish law they were for removing the meagre extra pennies given to care staff for a certain qualification when I piped in saying sorry but Scottish law says care staff cannot work without this qualification what does that tell you - one half of the organisation were unaware of this not so little difference making me believe some have knowledge and some do not regardless of which country we live in it seems by all accounts that NS says there is a higher risk at the moment to Scotland and it’s the stance we need to keep to keep the ratio number down. Sorry for the rant everyone wink

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 13:58:28

Fair point janeainsworth grin

I agree Elegran - we’re further behind here and Sturgeon was clear in her recent statement that it was one of the key reasons why we’re not at the point of being able to ease ‘lockdown’ any further here.

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 14:00:04

Here’s an article that gives a bit more info www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-52578939

Rosalyn69 Mon 11-May-20 14:01:32

I don’t like Nicola Sturgeon per se but I have a huge respect for her. She has great leadership skills and seems to have full grasp of what she’s talking about.
Here in Wales we have this Drakeford chap.....no comment.

Urmstongran Mon 11-May-20 14:01:51

Yes janeainsworth a subtle transition in wording (and very clever) from the SNP.

Here is the logo they promote on their letterheaded notepaper these days:

Canny use of words there and they’ve grown legs!

Sparkling Mon 11-May-20 14:07:19

Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t like the English, she never misses a chance to put us down, never mind she has an English grandma, perhaps she doesn’t like her I don’t know, just hear what she says. I think she has been very concise throughout all this, she appears each day before us, their rate hadn’t reduced like ours so it makes sense they stay as they are. I didn’t think Boris was clear enough, but I cannot think of anyone else I would listen to in the same way, he has followed scientific advice and I think he’s done a stirling job. I think a couple of people on here appear to have a grudge against the English, that’s ok long as they don’t live here, it would be silly doing so if we are so bad.

Sparklefizz Mon 11-May-20 14:12:38

I notice that NS is also doing fist clenching !

Lucca Mon 11-May-20 14:12:39

Rosalyn. “ I don’t like Nicola Sturgeon per se but I have a huge respect for her. She has great leadership skills and seems to have full grasp of what she’s talking about”

So I’m confused as to why you don’t like her ?

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 14:15:31

I'd say that it is the "English" government at Westminster that NS doesn't like - that and the vast amount of ignorance there is in English institutions and organisations in general about the differences between Scottish and English laws and customs (which ars for historic reasons, not because NS and co have made changes recently just to be awkward)

Listen to those who have experience of both - like Elizabeth1's account above of a national charity based in London which was ignorant of relevant Scottish law.

Sparklefizz Mon 11-May-20 14:18:22

And how many Scots know the detail and intricacies of English law? Just asking .....

Listen to those who have experience of both - like Elizabeth1's account above of a national charity based in London which was ignorant of relevant Scottish law

^

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 14:19:28

What nonsense sparkling. She might not like the way the this Govt at Westminster behaves but don’t be so paranoid or silly - the English are made up of 70-odd million people, she doesn’t dislike all of you personally.

Can you give us some examples of where she has actually put the English people down? OTOH, I could give you one or two where Boris has put down the Scottish people, people who wear burkas, the Commonwealth and so on and on..

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 14:21:54

I didn'-t actually say the rate of infection was higher in Scotland, just to clarify, I said that it is still rising therefore Scotland may need to make different decisions than those for England, although perhaps the decisions for England should be made on a regional basis.

We now have a situation on the English/Welsh borders where school staff who live in Wales but work in England may be expected to return to work. If they have children who attend Welsh schools this is going to present problems.

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 14:22:58

Sparkle The English head office of a charity overseeing operations in ALL the UK ought to know the regulations in every part of the country.

Iam64 Mon 11-May-20 14:25:28

I’m with MawB in thinking female leaders are managing this crisis well.
I’m impressed by Nicola Sturgeon. The PM of the U.K. speaking only for England last night bothered me. It feels wrong that Westminster happily disregards the same medical evidence that leads NI, Scotland and Wales to be more protective of its people

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 14:26:16

Jane Godley voice-over to Nicola Sturgeon on Boris Johnson's latest briefing. Jane has Nicola's basic message right. Viewable by non-FB members.

www.facebook.com/janeygodleyfanpage/videos/909585442800212/

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 14:29:23

Iam It also feels wrong that so many believe that Scotland, Wales and NI ought to be following in their own areas what Boris has advised just for England. The circumstances are not the same!

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 14:33:41

Iam64 yes, he is PM of the UK but this is just the latest in a series of problems which devolution has caused.
As PM of the UK Boris should be in a position to make decisions and advise on the plans for the whole of the UK, taking into account all the figures, which are still rising in some areas although dropping, thankfully, in others.

However, with certain powers being now devolved, it means we are receiving mixed messages from leaders which will inevitably make life particularly difficult for those who live on the borders.

varian Mon 11-May-20 14:34:35

The circumstances are also different in the regions of England which is why, if rules are to be made for the whole of England, they should be safe and appropriate even for the regions with the greatest risk.

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 14:34:41

It might have helped engender a feeling of unity in the United Kingdom if Boris had made the distinction between the four parts of the UK in his speech, clarified why there were differences in their approaches, demonstrated how they would align themselves and involved the devolved Govts in his plans rather than having them find out about them from the Sunday papers.