Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you planning to visit your holiday home?

(166 Posts)
JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 12:40:05

Now we are able to drive as far as we like (well in England anyway!) I am sure lots will take the opportunity soon.

We are not permitted to stay overnight so we are excluded for the time being as ours is in the West Country, over four hours drive from home, but for those able to get there and back in a day it’s very good news.

Pantglas2 Wed 13-May-20 12:45:36

I expect if you can leave at sunrise and return at sunset it would be within English rules but not here in Wales (unsure of NI and Scotland)

Unfortunately we’ve seen a bungalow behind us occupied for the last fortnight and I’ve heard of a few who’ve been reported and spoken to by the Police.

Furret Wed 13-May-20 12:46:07

Ours is in Lombardy so no chance ?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 13-May-20 12:47:58

Mines a tent.

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 12:54:15

The new rules do not give the green light for people to visit their second home. That's according to the PM.

tanith Wed 13-May-20 12:56:05

If I had one (some hope) I wouldn’t visit it.

JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 12:59:45

Yes the rules are quite clear- no overnight stays yet but I am sure a lot of people will be pleased to go and check their property for the day especially if it’s been unoccupied for a while.

I very much doubt we will have a foreign holiday this year so I hope by the summer we will be able to go to the holiday home for a couple of weeks or so.

Obviously it all depends on what the virus situation is then.

J52 Wed 13-May-20 13:01:02

I would like to, but I have no intention of breaking the rules as I suspect there will be another spike in deaths and another strict lockdown.
Our house is in Scotland so we can’t even go to look at it. I suspect the garden is very overgrown and full of weeds, but that can be rectified. The insurance is a different matter, we are supposed to spend one night there every couple of months. So at the moment it is probably uninsured.
When we can go there, we will be completely self sufficient, in isolation
, but just sort out the practical issues within the property.

rosenoir Wed 13-May-20 13:04:12

daisymae I think this is a situation for common sense.

You can drive to somewhere in England and visit an empty house, you would be quite safe. You just cannot stay overnight.

Not every situation has been listed, PM did not actually say wash your hands in the latest briefing but we know we will.It is about staying safe not picking apart every directive to see if you can find a problem.

Kate54 Wed 13-May-20 13:09:14

We’re lucky as the property is only an hour and a quarter away. We’re going for the day next week to check on recent work that’s been done there and to attend to various jobs. Common sense and logic here trumps the actual instruction which is officially about exercise.
All my summer bookings have been cancelled so I’m looking forward to holidaying there myself - maybe, at some point, with son and family. Fingers crossed, folks!

JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 13:17:34

I completely agree rosenoir

I wish ‘use your common sense’ was part of the new guidelines!

If our property was about two hours drive we would definitely go and make sure all is well but as it is we must wait.

Here in the south lots of folk have second homes on the south coast, Bournemouth, Poole etc which is a perfectly accessible for a day visit.

JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 13:22:35

Another sensible post Kate54!

I think a lot of us will be hoping for a lovely hot summer this year for our ‘staycation’ !

SalsaQueen Wed 13-May-20 13:26:34

Holiday home?! If only.....

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 13:29:00

The PM was asked by an MP about visiting second homes. The answer was quite clear. The answer was no.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 13-May-20 13:30:33

Well Cornwall is filling up, and I doubt that they will all go back to their first homes every night.
A close family friend is using a holiday rental to isolate her DD from the rest of the family as she is having Chemo, she has been asked to leave this weekend as the holidaymakers are all coming back, as they have all paid deposits they are being allowed too.

lemongrove Wed 13-May-20 13:32:50

I don’t have a holiday home, but understand the need to go and check up on things.
Using common sense....why can’t you spend the one night there and drive back the next day? Taking a hamper of food with you, you needn’t interact with anyone at all.

mary51 Wed 13-May-20 13:33:33

We were due to go Friday to ine in West Wales but finally cancelled on Saturday and full refund is on the way.

BlueBelle Wed 13-May-20 13:37:00

Blimey how the other half live eh

JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 13:38:25

I think the question to the PM was regarding whether people can stay or not but I am asking whether anyone is planning a visit just for the day.

Surely then holiday lets aren’t allowed to resume yet?

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 13:43:52

It does seem that some holiday companies are taking bookings for July. Whether anyone would want to risk it is another matter

JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 13:50:42

I must admit we were tempted lemongrove!

As you say we wouldn’t be a risk to ourselves or anyone else. We could take sandwiches for lunch and have a fish and chips supper overlooking the sea.

The 303 and A30 will still be quiet, so it’s a tempting thought but I don’t think we should.

The Cornish have mixed feelings about second home owners as it is, part of which I can understand.

EllanVannin Wed 13-May-20 14:41:21

Barmyoldbat, I can't stop laughing. That's made my day grin

JuliaM Wed 13-May-20 15:25:43

Most of our bookings with the Caravan clubs have been cancelled by them for this year, we live in hope of maybe being able to get a break sometime.in the Autumn, but nothing is certain. I think.that a fair few Campervans and Motorhomes may be heading away for a daytrip this weekend, and a handful of those will be looki g to hide out for the night somewhere tomake it into a two day event. Locally around the Derbyshire peak district where we live we have stumbled across one or two of these units who had quite clearly settled in for the night down a quiet lane seldom visisted by anyone other than a local shepard or Dog walker. We also.have a few people locally who are living out in touring caravans or motorhomes on their property probably as a means of self distancing away from their family. One thing that suprised me yesterday on the way to the bank. at Matlock was the coned off areas all.along the parade at Matlock.Bath preventing anyone other than Tradesmen from parking. The message was loud and clear, 'visitors go home'!

Grammaretto Wed 13-May-20 15:29:40

This is such a first world problem isn't it.

Did anyone else hear Kirsty Allsop on the news today? She was talking about how the housing market is starting up again and how important it is, mainly due to the 3 Ds: Death, Divorce and Destitution.

More people will be working from home so houses in the country will be popular again. Good news for Escape to the Country.

AGAA4 Wed 13-May-20 15:40:46

The police have had to take down rude signs on the roads coming into Wales.
There will be signs but polite ones asking people to return home.