Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you planning to visit your holiday home?

(167 Posts)
JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 12:40:05

Now we are able to drive as far as we like (well in England anyway!) I am sure lots will take the opportunity soon.

We are not permitted to stay overnight so we are excluded for the time being as ours is in the West Country, over four hours drive from home, but for those able to get there and back in a day it’s very good news.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 15:45:57

barmeyoldbat lucky you!
We only have a cardboard box.

Tedd1 Wed 13-May-20 15:57:31

We have a static caravan in Dorset overlooking the sea. We are desperate to go there but the message from Boris and the site owner is a firm 'no' which I can understand

Lisagran Wed 13-May-20 15:59:26

A cardboard box Callistemon - by ‘eck, tha’s posh lass. We only ‘ave a piece o’ paper.....

Barmeyoldbat Wed 13-May-20 16:03:55

OK Callistemno and Lisagran, I feel sorry for you so you can borrow my 2 man pop up tent for your hols, free of charge of course.

Lisagran Wed 13-May-20 16:08:06

grin. We’re off on our hols Callistemon!

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 16:10:58

Thank you Barmeyoldbat, so kind, however, perhaps my camping days are over. I find it so difficult to jump up from the air bed these days when I need to cross the damp field to get to the loo at 2am.

Thank you for the offer, though, very thoughtful! grin

Lisagran I have another cardboard box I could send you, it's still whole, clean and dry. A bit snug though.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 16:13:22

Do you think we'll get the two men to go with the tent Lisagran?
Or is barmeyoldbat keeping them for herself?

JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 16:21:54

Holiday areas rely so much on visitors for their very existence so it would be devastating for them if we aren’t allowed to go this summer.

In Cornwall for example, tourism is the main industry and I can see a lot of businesses going under if holiday makers are forced to stay away.

So much employment there is associated with tourism from hotels, letting agencies, restaurants, the list just goes on and on.

Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

Ellianne Wed 13-May-20 16:54:51

I think you must be talking about my part of the country A30/A303 = Exeter = Devon. I see no reason why people shouldn't come to their own holiday homes but not to ones let out to tourists.
Speaking of Kirstie Allsop, who lives close by, she was unfairly criticised for coming down here from London with her family. Who's to say her manor house in Devon isn't her main home and she just uses her London (second) home for work purposes?

Lisagran Wed 13-May-20 17:26:58

Thank you for the offer of a cardboard box Callistemon, but I don’t like to live above my means - that sounds a bit posh for me. I’m from t’North you know.
Mind you, Barmey’s offer of two men in a tent does sound quite exciting grin

Grammaretto Wed 13-May-20 17:28:30

That reminds me of the much maligned poor old Prince Charles and Camilla. When he went down with the virus he happened to be at Birkhall near Balmoral.
I wonder if the grass is growing at Highgrove and the staff at Clarence House are all furloughed? They also have a house in Wales, I believe and a place or two in Cornwall.

JenniferEccles Wed 13-May-20 17:53:00

Yes that’s our route Ellianne
M3, A303 then the A30 into Cornwall.

You live in a lovely part of the country. I love Sidmouth!

I guess with Kirsty and others it depends whether they made their getaway before the lockdown or not.

I can also understand why Cornish residents were concerned about thousands turning up, possibly incubating the virus and then potentially overwhelming Trelisk hospital in Truro.

PamelaJ1 Wed 13-May-20 17:54:56

If I had one I am sure I wouldn’t. I think that I would probably have someone in situ who would pop in and check everything was OK.
The people that I know who have one all seem to have a friend, neighbour or gardener who has a key.
We live in a holiday home area and definitely second home owners aren’t very popular as they don’t contribute to the community. Allegedly! I’m sure that some do and they will be reading this post? but most don’t.

J52 Wed 13-May-20 18:01:06

We go to ours on average twice a month, we don’t let it out. Under normal conditions we always use the local butchers, bakers, grocers and restaurants.
We also belong to several local charitable organisations. It is our second home, not just for holidays.

Grammaretto Wed 13-May-20 18:20:29

Last year's movie, Bait, about a Cornish fishing village and its relationship with its second home owners was gripping and tense.
www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/01/bait-review-mark-jenkin-cornish-fishing-village

I can remember back in the 1970s when holiday homes were being burned down in Wales. Here is Scotland, there is a symbiotic relationship between locals and incomers. They rely on each other but the locals are grudging and detest the ones who don't spend their money locally and price the locals out of the housing market.

annep1 Wed 13-May-20 18:26:28

In N Ireland so no. Womnt

annep1 Wed 13-May-20 18:27:45

How did that post??
Won't be in Newcastle any time soon ?.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 13-May-20 18:39:03

Callistenan, you are welcome to one of the men, I barely have enough energy for one.

Alishka Wed 13-May-20 18:48:54

gringringrin - I shall cherish this thread opening for EVER!

J52 Wed 13-May-20 19:44:56

Just to reassure you Grammaretto all my ancestors are residing in the Scottish town’s graveyard.
So I’m not a newcomer.

notanan2 Wed 13-May-20 20:52:27

If I had one my main reason to not go right now would be fear of the reception I might get.

People might take their fear/anger/frustration out on incommers at the moment and I wouldnt want that to taint my happy place.

It'ld just be down to luck whether you happened to be the first/only out of towner they encountered that day or the 30th who they lose their temper at.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 13-May-20 21:02:39

JenniferEccles
Our Cornish MP Steve Double has just posted this on his Facebook Page

Tweet

Nigel Huddleston MP #StayAlert
@HuddlestonNigel

You and your household can head outdoors for your physical & mental wellbeing in England.
But be respectful to local people & communities.
You must adopt social distancing at all times.
Then return to your primary home - No overnight stays, including second homes & holiday homes.

notanan2 Wed 13-May-20 21:05:53

woodmouse I think people are msinly wanting to visit their holiday homes for the day y'know to check on maintenance/security and to remain insured.

which is allowed. But personally I would be reluctant to do it for the reason I stated above.

notanan2 Wed 13-May-20 21:08:53

We have some maintenance due on our home that absolutely has to be done this summer or it'll become a much bigger/more serious job. If this was our second home that would be a major worry right now IYKWIM and I would be wanting to visit to see whether it had deteriorated to the point of needing to be done immediately or if it will hold out for a few months

etheltbags1 Wed 13-May-20 21:13:24

Must be nice for some folks, still as we rent a different one every year we get st stsy at different places and its cheaper than buying one