Gransnet forums

Chat

"You gotta accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative".....( lighthearted)

(67 Posts)
phoenix Thu 14-May-20 22:59:46

As the song goes!

Well, my positive for today is that my fringe has now grown so much that it now covers my eyebrows, so no one can see how much they need plucking/tidying!grin

Does anyone else remember that song?

And even if you dont, what are you're minor postives?

After all, we all need a little frivolity occasionally, don't we?

rockgran Fri 15-May-20 10:03:20

I hate the stress of entertaining visitors but love the chat. Now I can chat on the phone without having to clean the bathroom, etc.

nipsmum Fri 15-May-20 10:05:25

Just got my car in for routine servicing and MOT. Will do my knitting until I need to collect it. Feel much better than I did yesterday. All positive things.

b1zzle Fri 15-May-20 10:11:12

That the site manager of the flat where I'm hoping to move to very soon (government restrictions permitting) accepts that organising a letter authorising my cat to move in with me is an absolute priority!

Missgran Fri 15-May-20 10:15:24

Beautiful weather sun shining

sandelf Fri 15-May-20 10:16:59

The washing machine broke (terminally). We can't move it. In lockdown our usual help is not available. Asked neighbour - he has a trolley and was happy to help. Machine is on the drive awaiting collection by local authority (next Wednesday). And Argos deliver new one tomorrow!!! (We can have trolley again to install it) smile

SirChenjin Fri 15-May-20 10:16:59

DH and DS1 are both furloughed and they are both doing an amazing amount of DIY around the house and garden - jobs that have been outstanding for months and in some cases, years, are finally getting done!

Christalbee Fri 15-May-20 10:18:16

Love the sunshine, the birds and the lakes. Beautiful walk this morning with my dogs. Missing my grandchildren and daughter like hell!!

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 15-May-20 10:18:17

Sunshine here today

I'm alive and well

DH similar

Should get shopping delivered today

Probably make another laundry bag or two

BusterTank Fri 15-May-20 10:25:43

My positives are I have my health and family and that's all that's matter .

DanniRae Fri 15-May-20 10:27:02

Phew sandelf glad you have a happy ending to your washing machine saga! I felt quite stressed at the thought of you not having a washing machine........I can't imagine being without mine!! shock
My positives - I can cut my own fringe....I have brown hair spray to cover my grey parting....the weather is, mainly, beautiful....I have lots of enjoyable books to read (mainly ones I have enjoyed before)....I wake up in the morning and don't have things to do/places to go that I don't enjoy!
Happy Days!
I wish Happy Days to all you Gransnetters too! smile

Seefah Fri 15-May-20 10:30:20

My big positive is all my family are alive and well.
My second positive is our very dear neighbour in Istria took it upon himself to mow all the grass in our deserted holiday house so it looks occupied! It’s not a small garden. I actually wept when I saw the photos - we’re sending him a gift today.
My only negative is hardly eating a thing and weight won’t go down. Lost 5 kg and came to jamming halt. I feel fatism is about to grip the UK. I find people in UK unkind about fat at the best of times!

farview Fri 15-May-20 10:41:39

...my positive is that No I'm not going to bludgeon H..I am going to do some work at the end of the garden ?

gillyknits Fri 15-May-20 10:51:59

A man is coming to mend my oven, after two weeks of waiting. I can bake again!

inishowen Fri 15-May-20 11:19:32

Ive really enjoyed the garden. I had old seed packets in the garage which I've sewn in pots. Some are coming on well. The negative is that our neighbours have gone gone gardening crazy and have pulled down the foliage from our dividing fence. Now we're completely exposed to their back door.

Milly Fri 15-May-20 11:33:45

Not wearing bra or makeup as no one sees me, except me in the mirror when I get nasty shock!

Grandmabeach Fri 15-May-20 11:35:28

The sun is shining. I have just had a walk along the sea front. My DH and I are both well. Our family are all safe and we can still keep in touch with our friends with phone, emails and Skype/Facetime.

Craftycat Fri 15-May-20 12:02:17

The sun is out & I am getting a tan worthy of 2 weeks in Greece!!

Jaycee5 Fri 15-May-20 12:07:53

I went out for a walk this morning for the first time since the lockdown. I live in a very built up area but saw virtually no one and only a handful of cars. The houses looked unoccupied.
You expect things to be quieter but it is so much quieter. It is strange that there are no radios playing, no one hammering, no one shouting conversations at neighbours. All I heard was birds and the sky is beautifully clear and still.
It was half way being peaceful and calming and spookily like the opening of an episode of Outer Limits where a suburb is like normal but not like normal.
I'm going to make more effort to go out once a day now as I was getting a bit squirly being indoors all the time. Also, my flat gets a bit stuffy even with the windows and doors open.
I've got a few things done (mainly administrative) that I wouldn't otherwise and used up a pile of wool but generally it is not as different for me as it is for many people.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 15-May-20 12:10:19

The only (large) negative is the threat still hanging over us but I'm pushing that into the background today. Positives are that I'm getting various craft projects done- I finished this crocheted spring wreath in time to hang it up for the last days of spring. The weather has been astoundingly good and I'm shortly off out on my motorcycle on some bike-sized errands. Another positive is that we're not having to put a stopwatch on how long we're out of the house. So all good really!

netflixfan Fri 15-May-20 12:13:42

I love that old song and hum it to myself quite a lot! X

lemongrove Fri 15-May-20 12:26:39

Growing your crocheted wreath is amazing!?

Like some others, I do enjoy the sense of time slowing down because there is no hurry to do anything, and not having to do/go to things am not really keen on.Obviously I miss all the nice things that we usually do/go as well, but there are positives to most things.
Have done a batch of baking this morning, called SIL and DGS and they have come to collect it ( delightedly!) and nice to see them from the doorway and have a quick chat.They only live a few minutes walk away from us.
Am enjoying emailing and phoning friends for a chat more often, and being able to do lots in the garden.
Reading more books, crossword puzzles etc too.
We haven’t done anything different ( from the lockdown) as yet, as DH must be very careful.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 15-May-20 12:34:43

growing I love your Garland , so clever.
Positives are
veggie growing , we are usually away so don’t bother.
Beautiful weather
We are both still well.
Negatives
MILs funeral today and we aren’t able to go and aren’t able to meet up with the rest of the family.
We couldn’t visit MIL when she was ill
DD had all of her chickens taken by foxes yesterday whilst she was at the post office and she is devastated, and we can’t go down to comfort her.
And of course the awful hair, roots aren’t very attractive at any time

cornergran Fri 15-May-20 12:43:06

The garden waste has been collected. A small thing I know but it means I can continue to prune smile.

Our decorating is finished. Hooray. Tomorrow the conservatory will look like a room again and I can stop haunting Mr C to wipe up paint drips that he insists he didn’t cause grin.

On a more serious note a very unwell neighbour has had such excellent care from our GP practice with ongoing home visits. Good to know non covid care is there if needed.

lizzypopbottle Fri 15-May-20 13:03:15

I've saved mega-bucks not buying petrol! This has more than covered shopping locally rather than supermarket forays.

On the other hand, I haven't been anywhere...

PennyWhistle Fri 15-May-20 13:18:00

So many positives!

DH and I have left the rat race (despite being told this is the worst time ever to retire).

We love waking each morning (with no alarm clock) then deciding which local area to explore on foot.

This glorious spring weather helps too.

I have started to learn crochet and am about 1/2 way through making squares towards creating a blanket.

Is it wrong to be happy with this life?