Gransnet forums

Chat

"You gotta accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative".....( lighthearted)

(67 Posts)
phoenix Thu 14-May-20 22:59:46

As the song goes!

Well, my positive for today is that my fringe has now grown so much that it now covers my eyebrows, so no one can see how much they need plucking/tidying!grin

Does anyone else remember that song?

And even if you dont, what are you're minor postives?

After all, we all need a little frivolity occasionally, don't we?

Daisyboots Fri 15-May-20 13:51:32

Growingolddisgracefully your crochet wreath is beautiful.

As my life has been like this for over a year things arent so different for me except I am unable to go shopping due to chemotherapy. But today I have had a big positive for me. I wrote down in Portuguese exactly what meat I wanted for my DH to hand to the lady in the butchery department and at long last got what I wanted. Which was a sirloin joint and then sirloin steaks. Not back rump and various other steaks he has brought home. A big plus it was on special offer with 30% discount. May seem trivial to most but for me it was a good result. smile

justwokeup Fri 15-May-20 15:32:16

Ah farview if only I could bludgeon your H for you and you could bludgeon mine! A perfect crime! Oh no, apparently there's a film about that ...
Feeling down today as our relative's care home has widespread virus, staff and residents, and there's nothing we can do so, yes, it's time for counting blessings. A rediscovered garden, weather is beautiful, and, as far as I know, all our other beloved ones around the world are safe. I've rediscovered a love for baking and the family get in touch regularly to say hello online. And so grateful to all those wonderful care home workers who are working all hours to look after their residents. A welcome thread indeed.

Jaycee5 Fri 15-May-20 15:37:39

PennyWhistle It is not wrong but I must admit that I feel a bit guilty when I feel positive. It is very peaceful here with quiet, clear sky, planes not flying overhead, fewer trains on the local branch line, my problem neighbour is away and I was thinking this morning what a shame it is if the earth could not just take a holiday every 3 months (obviously without all the horrifying things happening that are causing the quiet).

narrowboatnan Fri 15-May-20 16:07:25

We only go to Aldi once a fortnight now instead of our usual once a week, so we don't spend as much on housekeeping. Our car now does at least four weeks to the gallon (more savings) and the hairdresser's closed, so even more savings.

On the minus side, I'm not looking forward to when all the reporters, MPs, bank workers (in the Barclays advert) return to their offices because I shall miss seeing inside their homes, trying to read the book titles on their book shelves, seeing their pets and occasionally - and accidentally - their children. Makes them all more normal I suppose. I can't be the only perv on here, can I?

farview Fri 15-May-20 16:55:44

justwokeup ??

Blinko Fri 15-May-20 18:30:42

We met with a friend in the grounds of a local stately home and enjoyed a catch up and a stroll.

And on the way home, I was able to buy self raising flour... WooHoo!

123kitty Fri 15-May-20 20:21:50

This lockdown has reminded me why I chose my lovely husband 50 years ago.

annemarg Fri 15-May-20 20:47:32

I finished my Painting by Numbers today! I just felt I had to do something other than watch TV. It's turned out not too bad!!!

Daftbag1 Fri 15-May-20 21:15:38

I received the decision on my PIP (personal independence payment), & I've been awarded the enhanced rate for daily living and mobility components. This will make a huge difference to our budget.

Jaycee5 Fri 15-May-20 21:19:16

Daftbag1 That's good news. Must be a relief. Waiting for those kind of decisions is always stressful.

GreenGran78 Fri 15-May-20 21:34:55

My positive? My new grandson arrived in Australia on Monday. Today he came home, and I got to ‘visit’ them via the internet. Although I didn’t get to give him a cuddle I had a close-up of his lovely little face, and watched him being fed and changed.

I’m sad that my planned visit for his birth didn’t materialise, but thank heavens for FaceTime!

Thisismyname1953 Fri 15-May-20 21:37:40

We have just heard this evening that we can buy one of the cockerpoo pups that we applied for a few days before they were born . We already have a 2 year old Shih Poo and we want a companion for her as are gorgeous bichon Frise , Alfie , was pts last summer . We miss him so much but know that it’s better for our little Winnie to have a friend. The puppy is female and can come to us at the beginning of July . What to call her? Decisions decisions

Rosiebee Fri 15-May-20 23:06:08

Last week when I went on my now weekly highlight of the week trip to our local M&S Foodhall, I was 28th in the queue to go in, today I was 14th. Every little positive helps.
We've cleared garage and shed and a skip is coming on Tuesday. Everything is bagged up and ready to pop in skip. "Oh Happy Day"
Sorted through years of photographs, pre- digital and whittled then right down.
Made my own dough for pizzas tonight and it was yum.

I love that song esp the line"Don't mess with Mr Inbetween".
I am trying my hardest to accent the positive.
We're still here and family are well.
Wishing everyone the same. sunshine

DanniRae Sat 16-May-20 15:31:12

Well done annemarg for finishing your painting. I especially love the roses around the door! smile

Fennel Sun 17-May-20 11:37:48

We're both grateful that we're not (yet) in the oldie's group who have to stay indoors. Enjoying our daily walks and bie rides for husband.
That's one of my favourite songs too Phoenix - sung by Bing Crosby Or Aretha Franklin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IP9h40z0sk

Fennel Sun 17-May-20 11:41:52

I think the Crosby one is better + Andrews sisters
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qk9o_ZeR7s&pbjreload=10