Gransnet forums

Chat

"You gotta accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative".....( lighthearted)

(66 Posts)
phoenix Thu 14-May-20 22:59:46

As the song goes!

Well, my positive for today is that my fringe has now grown so much that it now covers my eyebrows, so no one can see how much they need plucking/tidying!grin

Does anyone else remember that song?

And even if you dont, what are you're minor postives?

After all, we all need a little frivolity occasionally, don't we?

pensionpat Thu 14-May-20 23:06:26

I’ve finally got rid of my garden waste. It’s only taken 6 weeks. The bin is emptied fortnightly and I’ve been using 3 neighbours bins also.

Lucca Thu 14-May-20 23:06:38

My non live in partner has actually started walking! From being practically car bound he is now up to about 2.5 /3 miles a day which is great. Not as good as my 5 but......?

merlotgran Thu 14-May-20 23:10:57

I don't have to bother ironing......anything!!

gillybob Thu 14-May-20 23:22:31

My positives are that I know for sure that there are some kind people out there. I have also managed to read far more than I normally could.

My negatives are that I have put on weight from eating rubbish. I’m lounging around watching TV on an evening and I sleep worse than ever .

GrannyLaine Fri 15-May-20 00:09:28

My very boring hairstyle lends itself well to low maintenance. Chin length bob, somewhat elongated but still in shape and the fringe I can trim myself. I long for it to become that elegant silver, but it stubbornly refuses, so no colouring issues. Not had to put on a pair of heels in months so will probably fall over next time I need to glam up.

Calendargirl Fri 15-May-20 07:20:43

Let’s face it, weather wise it’s been one of the nicest Springs ever.
Just think if April had been constantly cold, wet, windy ......

Puzzler61 Fri 15-May-20 07:30:25

The positives (in no particular order:
The NHS is alive and well and there for us despite hearing much to the contrary in recent years,

Nature and the weather have done us proud during the crisis,

Great kindness has been shown by many, to help many others,

My garden is looking the best it has ever looked (my DH has been “furloughed” from playing golf 3 days a week and turned to gardening to keep busy).

Negatives:
I’ve missed what I always took for granted - meeting with family and friends for a lunch in a pub or cake and tea in a garden centre.

I’ve tried hard not to dwell on any other negatives.

Riverwalk Fri 15-May-20 07:59:18

I've saved money!

No hairdo's, no eyebrow waxing, no pedicure, no eating out, no theatre/cinema, and apart from a pair of Skechers no purchases.

I'll be loaded by the end of all this shock

Gaunt47 Fri 15-May-20 08:07:49

Another song from that era which I love is "Busy doing nothing".
Goes on: working the whole day through trying to find lots of things not to do....
Appropriate eh? grin

oldgimmer1 Fri 15-May-20 08:36:56

I'm WFH. Normally, I have a 2-hour commute. I'm not missing thsy.

I am less stressed about chores because I can get on top of them during the day.

The weather has been gorgeous and I've really enjoyed walking round the neighbourhood when it's quiet. It's normally very busy.

I've saved money on clothes and I'm lower - maintenance. I haven't been doing my nails and I've cut and coloured my own hair.

I'm enjoying the slower pace of life.

Iam64 Fri 15-May-20 08:40:29

Same as you phoenix, my fringe is so long it covers the hedges that are my eye brows.
I haven't ironed anything in 8 weeks,I give things what mum used to call a good stroking.
The windows haven't needed cleaning because our four under 5 year olds aren't here several times a week wiping their sticky fingers on them (ahh, wanders off trying to stay positive)

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 15-May-20 09:05:13

The sun is shining and the wind has at last dropped, so looking forward to going out and about on my bike today for as long as l want, and as far as l want.
Smashing!

Missfoodlove Fri 15-May-20 09:12:25

We have found all our relations graves from our cemetery walk.

Feel guilty though and think we may have to go and clean them all.

Newatthis Fri 15-May-20 09:18:16

Feeling positive about making a quilt for my new granddaughter due in 3 weeks. Already got the fabric etc out, DH has fixed my machine and very ready to go!

Tree58 Fri 15-May-20 09:19:01

I’ve made an early start on my ‘winter padding’ with all the baking I’ve done.
I’ve got to know my new neighbourhood better with the walking most days.
I appreciate what a wonderful community spirit we have in the village, with all the help and advice on offer.
We’ve had a big clear out and filled a skip. Now we’re ready to tackle the major projects, like a new kitchen, when we can get started again.

Rosina Fri 15-May-20 09:23:14

I'm still alive!

Lizzies Fri 15-May-20 09:27:58

Found a charity shop taking in donations so I can get rid of the piles of clothes from the spare room.

MawB Fri 15-May-20 09:30:53

No deadlines to meet.
No obligations to fulfil.
Anybody walking up the front path is going to leave whatever on my doorstep and won’t interrupt my reading
Other than FaceTimes /Zooms it doesn’t matter a jot what my hair or face look like. In fact once I have to wear a face mask, if I add sunnies ? I need never wear makeup ever again
Perfect excuse for total sloth and my biggest excitement consists of compiling my Ocado order then amending it half a dozen times before the cut off time.
Watching old WWII films all day - and justifying it as part of “my course” - which it is.
Yep, not all bad. (Shame about the ? forcing it on us though )

Joesoap Fri 15-May-20 09:33:22

Glad to be alive.
First time for ages I havent felt stressed.
Trying to feel calm all day.

B9exchange Fri 15-May-20 09:37:47

I have saved enough from no haircuts and no cleaner to get a new laptop on eBay! Backing up the decrepit old one has taken 14 hours so far, but hope to get everything copied across and working by the end of the weekend. If I disappear, you will know it is not going well! grin

Bazza Fri 15-May-20 09:44:15

Hopefully a refund from BA

TrendyNannie6 Fri 15-May-20 09:47:11

I’m still alive

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-May-20 09:49:09

I got the front lawn mown and the edges trimmed yesterday, and am still polishing my halo because I got the attic tidied earlier this week.

Don't die of shock anyone, please.

It's raining on and off today, so I can't continue with the back garden's two large lawns, so I am finishing odds and ends of sewing instead.

TwiceAsNice Fri 15-May-20 09:50:35

Positives
More time for reading

Lovely sunshine- it’s going to be really hot next week

Went for a drive yesterday ( didn’t get out of car) for first time in 8 weeks and car started first time!

Done loads of jobs around the house

Negatives
No hair colouring - look like a badger and hate it!

Miss browsing in shops and stopping for coffee

Worst negative- best friends daughter very ill ( not virus) she’s super upset and I’m not allowed to go and see her ( she lives in Wales) We were both crying on the phone this week and I’m so worried