Gransnet forums

Chat

Washing machine went bang

(16 Posts)
Grannygrumps1 Fri 15-May-20 09:50:02

Heard a terrible noise the other day and realised the noise had come from the washing machine.
Fortunately I could get the last load out. But sadly realised my machine had died. It’s an integrated model and impossible for me to move. I thought yeah I’ll treat myself to a new one as the other was old and had been repaired five years ago.
No such luck because of Covid there is no one who will remove and install the new one at the moment.
So.... I have reverted to washing everything by hand.
Has anyone else had something we take for granted pack up on them or gone back to the old method of doing things.

goldengirl Fri 15-May-20 09:55:14

Our freezer packed up a couple of weeks ago but we were lucky to have another delivered AND pushed into the utility room reasonably quickly. There was only one person delivering which I thought wasn't good when it comes to heavy items. DH managed to wipe it all down and put it into position himself. The old one is still in the garden as noone can take it at the moment.
It seems that some will deliver [eg John Lewis] but other are unable to do so

Calendargirl Fri 15-May-20 10:00:13

No help to you I know, but our local, family owned for three generations electrical shop has garnered many heartfelt reviews on our local facebook page for delivering, installing and taking away defunct items, washing machines, fridges, freezers during the crisis.
They are opening again properly soon, and I think that many people will think more about shopping locally, even if it is a bit more expensive.

Alexa Fri 15-May-20 10:08:30

Nice thought, Calendargirl!

Grannygrumps1 Fri 15-May-20 12:29:05

I did have a local shop recommended but they weren’t open and they didn’t stock an integral machine under £750.
Funnily enough in the last year I have had to replace my cooker and fridge freezer which along with the washing machine were all installed at the same time by the previous owner and all the same manufacturer (neff). So I do have accounts with two big electrically groups who have said they will contact me when they start to re install.
It’s just an inconvenience really.

Charleygirl5 Fri 15-May-20 12:51:52

Grannygrumps1 I may well be in the same boat soon but mine is not integrated. I googled my local Euronics store and it is open 2 hours a day and he will deliver, install and remove.

Also try AO.com

Good luck

Grannynannywanny Fri 15-May-20 12:58:50

Grannygrumps have you tried Currys?
I notice on my daily walk which takes me through an industrial estate that the Currys depot appears to be busy.

Large trucks being loaded up with domestic appliances and the staff car park almost full.

Not sure of their current protocol re fitting and removal of old machine but might be worth an enquiry if you haven’t already.

Grannygrumps1 Fri 15-May-20 14:41:10

Thank you all. A.O. will not will remove and install and according to Currys it’s vague but probably not going to install or remove but can’t get a definitive answer from them.
Local guy is a branch of Eronics and he does not have what I need on line but isn’t working anyway.
I just think I need a bit of patients and to keep doing everything by hand for now.

B9exchange Fri 15-May-20 14:50:58

I got mine from Hughes direct, great price and the delivery man lifted it inside my door. Washing machine repair men will come out for a fee, take your old one out and install the new one, and take the old one away. You don't have to suffer without a machine, and we stayed behind closed doors whilst the work was going on.

shysal Fri 15-May-20 16:34:00

When my kitchen was fitted, with Neff white goods, they were wired in rather than plugged in. Curry's couldn't replace as their fitters are not electricians and not allowed to re-wire. Each time a machine died I put in a plug socket so that it wouldn't be a problem . I am just waiting for my microwave to break down to do the last one, as even that has been wired into the wall! In normal times Curry's took the old appliance away, but not sure about currently.

I have a 90 year old neighbour who has never had a washing machine but does own a spin dryer. She washes everything by hand or, in the case of bedding, by foot as she tramples the sheets in the bath!

Grannygrumps1 Sat 16-May-20 09:40:35

Lol. All you ideas are good. BUT I live in a little bungalow on my own. If a machine was delivered and just put inside then I could not move. I only have a shower room so can’t wash stuff in a bath I haven’t got,
Currys and A.O. won’t do anything other than deliver. Ive checked all local electrical stores and they either don’t do the machine I want or it over double in price and they still won’t fit it. It’s just a case a patients I believe now.

Grannygrumps1 Sat 16-May-20 09:45:58

Oh I’ve just checked Hughes as well. They only deliver to the front door as well at the moment.

Grannynannywanny Sat 16-May-20 09:55:07

Before committing to a purchase and delivery perhaps you could check locally for a tradesman who would be willing to move it into the house and fit it?

TerriBull Sat 16-May-20 10:27:16

Commiserations to you, my old one, nearly 20 years of age packed up just before the lockdown so managed to get a new one, although John Lewis told me that their plumbers weren't sanctioned to plumb washing machines in, in garages anymore, can't remember the reason now, so had to get an independent plumber, who proved to be very good. Hope you get something sorted OP, awful time to be without such a device, there must be a plumber out there who would be willing to do such a job, I do perceive tradesmen are going back into houses now.

Kalu Sat 16-May-20 10:37:26

Our integrated dishwasher has died so I am back to washing dishes at the sink. No hardship but less convenient with a pile of dirty dishes to clean.

I tried Curry’s but a carrier can only deliver it to the house, no installation or disposing of the old one so I will just have to wait until such times jobs like this are up and running again.

Sunny82z Sun 17-May-20 15:42:04

John Lewis might be worth a try.