Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone been cutting their hair

(81 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 15-May-20 17:18:38

Well I did this afternoon chop, chop, chop, couldn’t wait for my DH to do it, just got the comb after I had washed and blow dried it, the ends were scraggly so I thought, I’m having you, and off I went quite enjoyed doing the sides and fringe, but of course the back is left straggly now, so I’m going to have to wait for my DH to do that after all.

Franbern Mon 18-May-20 11:20:30

The great thing to remember about cutting hair - is that it grows!! So, any mistakes will soon grow out.
I do have a pair of hairdressing scissors, normally trim the top and sides of my short hair between visits to hairdresser. Always get told off for 'chopping' it.
My hair grows fast - like a weed is how one hairdresser described it!!
cannot bear it when it gets long, so I have been trimming (chopping it) happily myself. When I do go back cannot be told off this time!!
Front and sides are easy - was difficult doing back by myself and found mirrors did not help - rather confused me, so do it by feel. It looks fine, and even more important, feels fine - will be a long time before I actually get to my hairdresser, so will continue to do this for some more months.

Lettice Mon 18-May-20 09:56:45

Please tell me how to make my hair grow. Last visit to hairdresser was July last year, and while that cut was short it wasn't "baldy". And now all those months later it has almost come to my ear lobes. I so regret having it cut in the first place and very fine hair is so difficult to style and has to be "done" every day. When it was longer I could have a different style several times a week, with down and curly, down and smooth, up in a simple way and up in a more complicated style. I enjoyed doing it when longer, but short is a nightmare for me.

varian Sun 17-May-20 19:50:51

I cut the front and sides of my hair and OH did the bit at the back.

Fennel Sun 17-May-20 19:47:23

smile -
kissingate -
I would miss my HD though. She's good for a chat and doesn't overcharge.

kissngate Sun 17-May-20 14:59:19

Like Maggiemay my OH cut mine no issues at all. Told him to cut a quarter inch off in sections at the back a d leave the fringe to me. I bought a root touch up off the net he did that too on an other date. Well impressed told him he can do it again next month. Dont think I'll be needing a HD for a while.

Kate1949 Sun 17-May-20 13:16:52

Thank you Callistemon It is indeed difficult. I was so pleased to have found a solution. It doesn't help with celebrities on TV complaining about their hair. Still, people are dying so it really is minor.

Callistemon Sun 17-May-20 13:04:42

Kate1949 that must be difficult at the moment. Mine did go very thin at one point through some treatment I was having but didn't quite all disappear.

I have been complaining about mine, but had a rethink after I saw the appeal by the girl, whom I know, and have donated to her fund.

Fennel Sun 17-May-20 12:45:19

Theoddbird - good idea! there are so many ways to tie headscarves.
Icut my fringe and front side bits myself. Husband does the rest, he's qute good at it. Mine used to be layered and now the layers have grown out and it looks thicker.
I hope we don't put hairdressers out of business.
You need really sharp scissors

Tweedle24 Sun 17-May-20 11:28:36

My grandson has beautiful, deep auburn hair which had grown really long. A couple of weeks ago he cut it off and it has gone to a charity that makes wigs for chemo patients.

Kate1949 Sun 17-May-20 11:19:27

Thank you for your post Callistemon As someone who has alopecia totalis (no hair), and can't have my lovely hair system maintained during the pandemic, what I would give for unruly hair, grey roots and a too long fringe.

Sparkling Sun 17-May-20 07:06:35

If it's driving you mad just go for it, it will soon grow again before are allowed out, you can always tie a band or scarf round it or or a hat, my sun hat will be out this week. My hair is now at my shoulders and I tie it back in a low pony tail, it's neat and tidy, I should have done it years ago, I used to spend a fortune having a cut and blow dry every 5/6 weeks at a good salon. I love the grey too.

grumppa Sun 17-May-20 00:01:32

I've been number fouring for years, but now it looks number 7 all over, while the beard is still number 5.

Callistemon Sat 16-May-20 23:07:02

Oh no, not a comb over grumppa!

You could give yourself a No 1

grumppa Sat 16-May-20 22:59:02

If a male may intervene, I decided many years ago that I would never have a combover à la Robert Robinson, but would let my baldness shine honestly through. Uncut since 21st February, my hair is covering my scalp and my neck in a way I never expected; I am turning into a silverback gorilla.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 16-May-20 22:45:21

I did take a little off my fringe, it wasn't too bad, unless it completely drives me round the bend, will take my chances letting the rest of my hair do it's own thing

Callistemon Sat 16-May-20 22:36:08

Worrying about your hair?

A young girl I know is shaving off all her beautiful hair to raise money for the NHS and her hair will will also go to make a wig for children who have lost theirs through cancer treatment.

So, I will not moan about mine again.

Will you?

Daisyboots Sat 16-May-20 21:54:52

After losing my hair due to chemotherapy last year it has grown back as tight curls like a 1950s perm. Luckily here in Portugal hairdressers and other small shops were able to open subject to strict restrictions from the 4th May. Our hairdresser/beautician has always been strict about sterilising her tools so there was no problem there and everyone has to wear masks and use hand sanitizer . So my DH, who was looking very shaggy, and I booked her for the afternoon and had hair cuts. Plus I had my finger and toe nails gelled as I find it protects them while having chemo. She did say that she thought my hair is now thicker than before I lost it so that's good news.

Nannytrace Sat 16-May-20 21:43:14

I bought some curlformers online. I am still practicing putting them in but the curls take up the excess length in the fringe and all around where it was looking thin and straggly. also the grey isnt quite as obvious with curls. I’m really enjoying having the extra volume and playing hairdo’s.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 16-May-20 21:12:42

Has anyone with highlights tried colouring them in to disguise 2 inches' growth of dark root behind them?

I need to do this but don't know how.....

I will look awful with dark roots on top of my blonde highlights before too long.

GagaJo Sat 16-May-20 20:48:17

My dye is growing out and I have 2 inch grey roots. I'm VERY tempted to cut off the dyed bit with clippers and just have 2 inch, short grey hair. BUT if I have to go back to work like that... Doesn't bear thinking about!

Maggymay Sat 16-May-20 20:41:52

Always had my hair short,but after 3 months I was beginning to look like Worzel Gummidge,so in desperation let DH cut it.Well I have to say he made a decent job of it now a short bob and I much prefer it slightly longer.

NotAGran55 Sat 16-May-20 19:54:49

My husband said I was transforming into Gail on Coronation Street as my my little face is disappearing behind my hair .

Grandmama Sat 16-May-20 19:39:42

No, I daren't risk a self cut. I now have a head of out-of-control natural curls. If hairdressers open at the beginning of July and they are so busy that I can't get an appointment immediately it will be another two months of growth from now. By then I should be able to pin it up so I might not bother with a cut and go back to my long hair of 20 years ago. Or I might not confused

Puzzler61 Sat 16-May-20 19:16:57

This week my hair needed a colour and a trim. First attempt at colour wasn’t good - it was too orange.
I ordered another permanent colour dye from Amazon and 2 days later toned the orange down to a golden auburn.
The trim turned out okay, but I didn’t’t go too scissor happy. It feels better.

live7 Sat 16-May-20 19:07:49

I cut mine about a week ago (about 2" off) and am really pleased with the result. Decided no one can see me and so better now than later on and it can grow a little to hide any mistakes!. I don't want to be rushing out to the hairdresser in the mad rush when this ends. I will wait a little. Also not dyeing my hair again until just before we end this. Good to give my hair a rest!