Gransnet forums

Chat

Best made plans!

(33 Posts)
kittylester Sat 16-May-20 08:36:31

Our village support group have asked for donations of baby stuff (nappies, wipes etc) which I ordered with my Sainsbury delivery.

After it was delivered, I emailed the organiser and left the stuff (as always) in a carrier on the gate post.

About an hour later I answered the door bell to find a very nice man holding my carrier of baby stuff saying 'I think you've left this by the gate!'

I thanked him, waited till he'd gone and then took it back down to the gate.

About an hour later, the same thing happened with a different man.

And, it happened again later on.

Then I got an email from the organiser saying that she had tried to collect it but the baby stuff was missing and she hoped it hadn't been stolen.

I'll try again today but with a BIG note on the bag!

annodomini Sun 17-May-20 17:10:15

I have a notice in my front window asking couriers and posties to leave deliveries on the back doorstep. The only couriers who doesn't comply with this request are almost invariably the Amazon drivers. I've always suspected that Amazon employs drivers who can't speak or read English well , so it's not really their fault and they are probably on minimum wage. I believe that they are also penalised if they don't meet their scheduled times.

Rosalyn69 Sun 17-May-20 17:45:27

We really have great delivery men in our area. Because of where we live they are easy to spot when they drive up but a lot of the regular ones know to leave the parcels by the porch.
I think most of them are doing a good job in difficult times and I always shout a thank you.

kittylester Sun 17-May-20 17:58:00

It's the way things currently happen in this village lizzypopbottle. We all leave stuff out for collection by various people.

I think they were all just passing through! grin

magsmay55 Sun 17-May-20 18:07:56

A few years ago my daughter was getting married. I ordered quite an expensive dress from Jaeger. It didn't arrive .I rang the company they said it had been delivered. The delivery guy said it had been delivered. It was delivered to a house with a caravan in the garden. We didn't have a caravan.shock

Ninjanana2 Sun 17-May-20 18:39:16

Welsh wife....this happens in Holland too. My friend once picked up a chaiselonge

JuliaM Sun 17-May-20 19:39:06

I live next door to a house undergoing renovation, a full strip back to bare walls job, earlier this week they had all new fitted kitchen Electrical appliances delivered ready for fitting, from a major uk supplier. They just ofloaded them and left them on the front drive at around 8am, and likewise the driver then stood back and took a picture of them. No body turned up to the place until late afternoon, and they were very lucky to find the goods still there by then.
Its a fairly busy road, and it would have been so easy for someone with a van to have helped themselves to a New Cooker, Dishwasher, Washing machine, and Fridge freezer.
The owners are quite elusive, rarely visit, various tradespeople come and go, but we havent seen anything of them to introduce ourselves and offer to help a little. With my poor mobility, im not able to go and knock on their door if they are there either!

GreenGran78 Sun 17-May-20 23:28:34

I offered something I no longer needed on a ‘giveaway’ site. I was asked if I could deliver it, as the lady had no transport. As it wasn’t too far away, I agreed, and was given the address of a flat, with instructions to go up the side, to find her front door. Unfortunately, my SatNav took me into a smart housing estate, which was obviously wrong. I found a Co-op shop on the main road, and phoned to say that I couldn’t find her flat.

When I said that I was outside the Co-op she said that she would come for it. A few minutes later I was surprised to see a young woman, in pink pyjamas and fluffy slippers striding nonchalantly towards me. It was 2pm. She took the bag from me, and headed back home. I never even got a Thank You, but at least she lightened my day!