Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you vacuum every day

(167 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 17-May-20 10:25:12

Having conversation with friend this morning she was asking me, how often do I vacuum, and was I doing it more since lockdown or less, I’d say it’s the same, I don’t go into every room every day no, but I do vacuum downstairs everyday and clean my floors, she was saying she vacuums once a week, she has no pets so no flurries of pet hair,

Saggi Mon 18-May-20 19:15:57

As a famous actress once said “ housework probably won’t kill ya, but no need taking the chance”..... I vacuum upstairs once a week ( carpets) .... and sweep wooden floors downstairs when I see dirt! Kitchen floor every day!

hicaz46 Mon 18-May-20 20:37:34

Definitely only Hoover when it needs it, which fortunately is not that often. Needs it even less now as we are not going out or having visitors.

BoBo53 Mon 18-May-20 22:55:07

I never vac! My husband does. He took the job over when I had a bad back and has simply carried on. I do the dusting.

Sawsage2 Tue 19-May-20 01:12:56

Noooo? only when I have visitors. Ewebanks are great if you have mobility problems.

Daisyboots Tue 19-May-20 03:33:45

Our Henry sees the light of day on Thursday when my lovely Portuguese friend comes to help us in the house. As we have ceramic tiled floors everywhere my DH sweeps the floor downstairs when necessary. It's mainly bits of plant the dogs bring in attached to their fur as they are in need of a clip.

Rufus2 Tue 19-May-20 11:43:25

ten times as many flies as here
Callistemon Sorry! I forgot! You all must have immaculate conservatories by now. The flies come in and are immediately blinded by all the unfamiliar gleaming surfaces and can't see their way out! They call it "Fly Hell" grin
Btw; you dropped a few "0"s in your comparison of fly populations! Not "ten times",; make that "a million"!
In outside TV broadcasts every one is frantically doing the famous Aussie salute, except the tough old "bushies" who can have them crawling up their noses, around their eyes, in their ears and not even blink! [shudder]
Good Health.

Rufus2 Tue 19-May-20 12:05:09

GN at its most trivial!
mcem Not in the least! There has been much worse! shock You're forgetting the vital need for exercise during these rare lockdown times, so it's "switch on the vac and switch off the brain"!
A notice in our house proclaims "Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses" grin
Good Health

Callistemon Tue 19-May-20 14:33:40

Some of my family are tough old bushies, the flies are frightened of them, Rufus.
They by-pass the humans and head straight for the food.

Actually, they do have very smart screen doors in their homes!

allium Tue 19-May-20 14:35:44

No it'll be sad day when there is nothing better to do.

dolphindaisy Tue 19-May-20 15:17:47

This post reminds me of my old Domestic Science Teacher (yes, I'm THAT old) who would shout at the class "There is no such verb as to hoove" I suppose these days it should be "to Dyson" or "to Shark"

CaroleLM16 Tue 19-May-20 15:21:38

My house gets vacuumed once a week when my husband does it. He’s back at work now (he’s a builder) and I work full time so it’ll be done less. He’s very handy to have in a lockdown, He’s cut my fringe, given me a manicure and pedicure and sewn the hem on my trousers. I’m not a very practical person and disinclined to housework luckily he is and he’s a neat freak. ?

Rufus2 Tue 19-May-20 15:54:11

Don't worry Allium!! That day will never arrive because we'll be swatting bush flies for ever and ever, Amen! grin
Good Health

days it should be "to Dyson" or "to Shark"
dolphindaisy What about "to hell with it!"? hmm
Cheers

dolphindaisy Tue 19-May-20 19:16:25

Rufus 2 - that's usually my verdict, I'm not getting visitors these days so I agree "to hell with it!

MadCatWoman1 Tue 19-May-20 19:30:24

I vacuum downstairs rooms every other day and the bedrooms about every 3 weeks.

Eloethan Tue 19-May-20 23:41:11

Every two days - and the cylinder is always quite full after I've finished. I think vacuuming regularly keeps the carpets in good condition.

narrowboatnan Wed 20-May-20 11:31:48

I do have a small vacuum cleaner, but as it’s only a small space I tend to get the broom out. I can sweep from one end to the other and finish off with a brush and dustpan in about five minutes. The joys of living in a small space.

Wonder why some vacuum cleaners have lights on? Do people Hoover in the dark, and can they see what the light is shining on when it’s under the furniture? ?