Gransnet forums

Chat

Sitting on the beach!!!!

(29 Posts)
millymouge Thu 21-May-20 18:45:28

All those thousands who have died in the most horrible way, and are still dying. And you drive miles and go and sit on a beach just inches from someone. You just don’t care, it dosn’t affect you so why should you bother. Sorry for the rant but it just makes me so mad.

Doodledog Sat 23-May-20 19:48:04

Well, we have been told that avoiding long distance travel is all 'advice', not law, haven't we? In the words of Dominic Cummings, 'It's not about what you lot think.'

If Cummings is not forced to resign, I honestly can't see that police or courts would have a leg to stand on if they tried to disperse or prosecute anyone.

Sorry, but I think that for those who get annoyed or upset about how others behave, the only way now is to stay indoors until a vaccine is found. 'Lockdown' (such as it was) i,s to all intents and purposes, over.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-May-20 19:28:49

Urmstongran Fuengirola has cameras covering the beaches and paseo so it will be relatively easy for them to monitor/police the numbers.
(There is a live webcam that you can log into, it has been rather spooky seeing everywhere so empty)

Urmstongran Sat 23-May-20 19:05:55

Beaches won’t be open herein Spain for another month. Fuengirola is going to use Artificial Intelligence to monitor numbers. Some beaches are drawing up plans to segregate age groups.
??⛱

Gaunt47 Sat 23-May-20 18:52:32

I live near beaches in Cornwall (just down the road!) and I often hear helicopters buzzing along our coast line, presumably monitoring the numbers visiting and how they are behaving.
The locals are all wondering where these visitors are going to do the necessary because all the public loos are closed smile

Witzend Sat 23-May-20 18:45:56

My dd and SiL took Gdcs to the beach the other day - a very long beach with other people, but loads of space so nobody had to be near anyone else.
I’m glad they went - they all had a brilliant time and I’m sure the sun and Vitamin Sea did them all good.

TBH I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if some of the papers used archive ‘Phew what a scorcher!‘ photos of heaving beaches, on purpose to stir up outrage.

MissAdventure Sat 23-May-20 18:35:06

I can tell you about a big group from Southend who were on the beach that day.

Yes, my favourite person, my neighbour and her lot, and they're all coming over for a visit tomorrow.

BlueSky Sat 23-May-20 17:11:34

I've seen similar photos on social media abroad. I would say photoshopped to get people aggravated. This is true of countries heavily policed with heavy fines in place, so can't really see that happening.

Callistemon Sat 23-May-20 17:10:12

I doubt that most of the people were from Southend anyway.
They were probably staying at home and letting the visitors get on with it.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-May-20 17:08:10

Merylstreep I think that Southend Police said that social distancing was being observed.

MerylStreep Sat 23-May-20 17:04:25

I've just seen on FB the aerial shots of Southend beach that day. Everyone was being respectful of the rules. That photo was a big fat lie.
I'm going to find out who took it and doctored it and get in touch with them. ?

vegansrock Fri 22-May-20 03:58:28

Tube trains reduced because they had fewer staff in, and 90% drop in revenue.

annep1 Thu 21-May-20 23:44:39

I was at a beach yesterday and everyone was distancing. I do think though some folk just aren't caring enough. Out for a walk and four people were spread right across the path chatting to each other walking slowly. Spoilt it for others.

JenniferEccles Thu 21-May-20 23:02:33

If you want to rant about something, how about the idiotic London mayor who has reduced the number of tube trains so workers are still sitting jam packed on trains getting to and from work.

Missfoodlove Thu 21-May-20 22:07:56

Our local beach yesterday

BlueBelle Thu 21-May-20 21:44:08

And the police are breaking up these ‘crowds‘ with NO face masks on
I m not doubting there are some pockets of silliness but I still think they are hugely distorted and some people love the drama
On fb today someone wrote about all the idiots making the beach shitty with their rubbish I walked along it today and if was pristine I found one used crisp packet... ONE so the so called crowds had been very tidy
I recently saw a ‘head on’ picture of a long queue at a supermarket that were all looking so close they were touching and obviously lots and lots of disparaging remarks about it
But then they showed you the exact same picture side on and all the people were at least 2 meters apart it just goes to show how we can be manipulated by, in Trumps words ‘fake’ pictures

BlueSky Thu 21-May-20 20:30:20

Woodmouse hopefully the police won't be needed to attend all the beaches in Cornwall!

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 21-May-20 20:11:24

BlueSky

There is no way the police can monitor all the beaches in Cornwall. They're spending most of their time in the towns dispersing groups of youngsters and also on the roads checking those those planning to stay in the county.

BlueSky Thu 21-May-20 19:43:00

If that's the case then the police should be around and contactable by the public to intervene and impose heavy fines as they've done in Europe.

MerylStreep Thu 21-May-20 19:30:06

* Bluebelle*
That's exactly what they did to the shots of Southend beach.
OH drove along the front on the day that pic was taken and it was nowhere near as bad as that. Still, Southend on Sea and covidiots make good headlines, don't they, irrespective of the fact that the vast majority came from outside Southend.

MissAdventure Thu 21-May-20 19:29:48

The Southend pictures (some of them) were from Leigh on sea, which isn't so "beachy".

The people they interviewed were packed into the beach like sardines.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-May-20 19:18:08

We sat on the beach yesterday with flask and sandwich. The nearest folk were about 100 yds away. I thought that perfectly acceptable. Had a paddle as well!

If the beach had been busy we would have probably gone onto the downs.

BlueBelle Thu 21-May-20 19:16:07

I do think a lot of the pictures are or can be foreshortened to make it seem a lot worse Someone wrote on our local Fb page about the crowds on the beach (well they weren’t the words there were lots of expletives) but there weren’t I went for a walk and there were little family pockets on the beach but the view from the top prom made it look much more crowded
I m not saying that there weren’t people being careless or arrogant I just think that it ‘can’ be overstated

Callistemon Thu 21-May-20 19:05:32

I don't think millymouge is, Grannylaine, if she is referring to the same beach and park just shown on the main news.
I posted on another thread about this. We have to find a balance and return gradually to normal or establish new ways of social interaction for some time.

Some people did not care and were openly defiant or pretending not to understand.

There must be a happy medium where we are not fearful and do not take too many risks.

MissAdventure Thu 21-May-20 19:03:31

Did you see footage of the crowds?
Strange way to distance.

MadCatWoman1 Thu 21-May-20 19:01:42

I thought the virus is less likely to be passed on in open air