Gransnet forums

Chat

Dominic Cummings

(87 Posts)
Oldernewgranny Sun 24-May-20 19:13:30

What do you think of Boris’s response to the Dominic Cummings debacle? I feel really upset that I’ve spent 10 weeks in lockdown missing birthdays of my grandson, my son and my daughter-in-law. I feel like throwing it all in tomorrow and inviting everyone round for a bbq with it being Bank Holiday. I know I’m not alone in cancelling every event in my diary since March but why can Dominic Cummings break the rules and get away with it?

Furret Sun 24-May-20 22:46:47

If so then his ‘bodyguards’ will know the ins and outs of this.

Sparkling Sun 24-May-20 23:10:15

I like Boris, mistakes gave been made as they would with anyone hNdling thus crisis which is World wide. I am sick of the gruelling questions, political so that many times I font wAtch the bulletins now. I feel Boris loyalty to this man is wrong and misplaced. I have kept absolutely to social distancing, not broken any rules, but I understand the circumstances that led to Doms position. That man is irritatingly awful, he's got test miserable sour expression , the same one every time he is caught on camera, he looks like an old member of a pop group on the run. He doesn't care the pressure he has put on the government, just his own skin. Boris should have sacked him straight away it was a bad move supporting him, although I understand why Dom did it, he knew it was wrong he could have the decency to take responsibility. What a toad, I hope he's fired.

Niobe Sun 24-May-20 23:19:20

Several cars outside our neighbour’s house tonight as obviously people think lockdown is all over . They have not put a foot wrong since lockdown was imposed but seem to have had enough. And so it begins.

Puzzler61 Mon 25-May-20 07:35:06

Sparkling I agree with nearly all of what you say regarding Cummings but not about liking Boris.
I would like to respect Boris Johnson and what he stands for, not particularly to like him.
I feel he appears comedic to other countries and not a good figurehead. He is bumbling his way through this crisis, only addressing the nation about once a week and then spouting some very amateur lines about “following your instincts” which is open to many varying interpretations.
Not good enough for me.

BlueBelle Mon 25-May-20 07:52:10

Has anyone read paddyanne s thread entitled Barnard Castle
Was he shielding his son ??? 50 Million $ Question

Whitewavemark2 Mon 25-May-20 08:13:32

Read the article on the Trust the government thread, it will make your hair stand on end

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-May-20 08:50:02

Ellanvanin there's were several protests the other week against lockdown the biggest was in Hyde Park, London.

Piers Corbyn (Jeremy Corbyns brother) was arrested at the London one, apparently according to him there is no virus its all a conspiracy theory to do with Huawei (sp?) G5 masts.

Sparklefizz Mon 25-May-20 08:59:14

chng.it/gWnyBKMCkX

This is the petition to sign if you think Dominic Cummings should be sacked.

BladeAnnie Mon 25-May-20 09:08:27

I'm shielding and this will probably go on for - who knows??? We have followed the guidelines to the book to keep ourselves and everyone else safe. We have postponed our wedding and missed other events such as birthdays etc. How dare this man just openly do as he likes and equally how dare Boris defend his actions. One rule for them and another rule for everyone else - very much a case of "do as I say not as I do". Shameful behaviour from the pair of them angry

Oldbutstilluseful Mon 25-May-20 09:24:47

Wwm I tried to follow your Trust suggestion but couldn’t find the article. However it did lead me to Byelinetimes.com.
I have to admit to not understanding the science, but could definitely understand why Dominic Cummings will not resign voluntarily.

Farmor15 Mon 25-May-20 12:02:04

If you haven’t seen this it’s worth a listen.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0na2Y_74_mk

Purplepixie Mon 25-May-20 12:04:14

It is disgusting when the majority have stayed in, not seen relatives, queued to get into supermarkets etc and this stupid twit wanders around the country!!! He should be made to stand down and this will not do Boris any favours at all!

Urmstongran Mon 25-May-20 12:50:15

Well well.

Dominic Cummings is about to make a statement and answer questions - according to an on line alert from the Guardian.!

This will be very interesting.
?

MaizieD Mon 25-May-20 12:57:42

It'll just be a stream of lies, Ug. He and his wife have lied so much already that you'd have to be lacking a serious number of brain cells if you believe him now.

OTOH, he could be about to announce officially that has taken control of the country...

MaizieD Mon 25-May-20 12:59:56

Where's this 'Trust the government' thread WWmk2?

NfkDumpling Mon 25-May-20 13:04:42

Making a statement later this afternoon. Who’s going to ask the questions I wonder.

Blinko Mon 25-May-20 13:11:40

Just wondering if he might be almost as (un)popular as Rasputin?

Urmstongran Mon 25-May-20 13:46:48

How about we listen to what he says first and the answers he gives? He will know the Police and check and track. All this has now stepped up a gear.

I don’t think he will lie!

westendgirl Mon 25-May-20 13:53:36

He might not lie, but I suspect he will stretch the truth .

Grammaretto Mon 25-May-20 13:57:40

It's all quite medieval. The court with its favourites whom others are desperate to bring down.
I don't approve of this man at all but it is a political response.

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-May-20 14:14:50

Special advisors should not be speaking in public on any controversial matters - it's against the government's code of conduct.

Fennel Mon 25-May-20 17:02:11

Boris would be lost without him. That's why he refuses to sack him.
Also making excuses for him.
As we know many policians have investments in big companies. (rel to paddyanne's thread.)

varian Mon 25-May-20 18:09:41

There were so many holes in his exercise in self-justification.

Are we to seriously believe that this well connected couple had no friends or relations who could have helped them out in London?

He said when he returned to London he arranged child care. Why could he not have arranged child care before he left London?

Does his wife drive or not? That would have a bearing on the so-called "test drive" they did to Barnard Castle.

The Coronovirus guidance told us all to work from home if possible. His work at Downing Street seems to involve meetings and writing reports. Could he not have done that from home, either in London or Durham?

If his London home was being targeted by journalists and others, could he and his wife, both well paid p;rofessionals, not have afforded to hire some private security?

MissAdventure Mon 25-May-20 18:14:44

It's just made up rubbish, as far as I'm concerned, and they think people are daft enough to believe it.

That's about the only thing they got right.

halfgran Mon 25-May-20 18:16:11

DH cousins daughter in law diagnosed positive after a 1st negative result, she her husband and 3 kids immediately isolated, never dashed to either parents but muddled through with help from food deliveries from relatives, friends and some total strangers who read about it on fb. Thankfully although she was quite ill no hospital required and no one else in immediate family caught it either. Hey ho one rule for us lot with plenty of respect for families and rules and another for them lot