Gransnet forums

Chat

Leg pulls you believed as a child!

(96 Posts)
Kiwigramz Sun 24-May-20 20:32:30

My lovely dad was in the Home Guard during the war. I was about 7 when he told me about the time they were doing drill and marching. He told me out of all the men marching he was the only one in step. I was very impressed. Next day at school I rushed to tell my friends about my clever daddy being the only one in step. I was so proud. It was a very long time before the penny dropped. grin

Foxglove77 Mon 25-May-20 16:21:42

My Grandmother used to say she couldn't run cos she had a "bone in her leg". I used to be so worried about her!

trisher Mon 25-May-20 16:25:28

Oh Foxglove77 thanks, I'd forgotten that one. I did try that on my DGCs as well, my DGD looked at me and said "We all have bones granny."

TerriBull Mon 25-May-20 16:44:22

Someone told me this, but can't remember who when I was very young, that all dogs were boys and all cats were girls, I believed that for quite a long time, before the mechanics of procreation entered my brain shock

moggie57 Mon 25-May-20 16:59:57

no .babies came in the doctors black bag

moggie57 Mon 25-May-20 17:04:20

hastings ? coconut

Cronaca Mon 25-May-20 17:09:36

The Mall outside Buckingham Palace was polished with Cardinal Red polish by nine of the Queen’s maids. That’s true isn’t it?!!

katy1950 Mon 25-May-20 17:38:08

My nan told me that if you got a love bite its will come back again when you are old I'm 69 and still waiting for it to reappear

Nandalot Mon 25-May-20 17:50:29

Not a family leg pull, but the Panorama programme about spaghetti totally fooled me. I remember going into school the next day and telling others spaghetti grew on trees.

Kim19 Mon 25-May-20 17:50:59

Embarrassed to admit I went to the bar and asked for Adam's ale as requested by one of my new colleagues. They obviously knew I was green as grass!

Coconut Mon 25-May-20 19:01:52

Sandelf and Moggie ..... yes, def Hastings, and it was so lovely in those days ....

Rosieroe Mon 25-May-20 19:21:19

For some unknown reason my father told me that the wagging tail of a pointer dog could cut your legs. Maybe he just didn’t want me to go too close to them.

Shesanana Mon 25-May-20 20:15:33

My Dad always told me that the picture on the front of boxes of matches was him. I believed him for years. Eventually I found out it was Captain Webb who swam the English Channel! Well I knew he liked swimming....grin

sharon103 Tue 26-May-20 00:20:58

My mum used to tell us if we didn't wash our ears we would get potatoes growing out of them.

Willitwork Tue 26-May-20 08:04:30

I was the best girl in the boys class! grin

12Michael Tue 26-May-20 08:12:07

I think when I first started work at 15 in 63 , the said thing was to go to the store and get some skyhooks.
Mick

Craftycat Tue 26-May-20 09:54:58

My DH's Dad told him the ice cream van only played the tune if they had run out of ice cream!

Alima Tue 26-May-20 09:59:51

Mum used to say that Jack Frost had been painting the windows when they were frosty in winter. Used to fascinate me, one of the old locals who frequently visited our village pub was called Jack Frost. I imagined him being up all night painting the windows round the village.

Grannytwo Tue 26-May-20 14:27:29

When I was young my father used to make me blue cows milk as a treat on a cold day. I always used to look for a blue cow but never saw one. When I was grown up I was told that blue cows milk was warm milk with sugar and a drop of whisky in it. Dad came from Glasgow!

Daisyboots Tue 26-May-20 20:56:40

Yes was told about the apple pop growing into a tree and another time if you swallowed a pip it would give you appendicitis.
But the funniest one was when we on the bus and Mum's friend got on. Mum asked her if her husband was okay now and her friend said yes but it would teach him not to drink out of wet glasses. I must have been about 7 or 8 at the time so every time i helped with the drying up I made sure the glasses were very dry. It was a long time before Mum explained what her friend had really meant.

Whingingmom Tue 26-May-20 23:02:30

As a child I believed my dad who explained that policemen kept their packed lunches safe underneath their helmets.