Gransnet forums

Chat

I had a terrible fall today.

(64 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:21:00

I was standing at the back door at the top of the stairs and I walked down one step to shout into the kitchen window to my parents and when I turned around to go back up to where I had been standing, I fell forwards onto the 'landing', grabbed onto the wall (the stairs have a wall so that you don't fall off the staircase) which then collapsed on top of me. I was lying on the stone landing with a stone wall on top of me when a load of beetles that clearly been living in the wall ran out! I managed to get up and I got into the house as quick as I could. I must have been in shock as I didn't notice my leg was bleeding or I only had one shoe on, all I could think about was that I had left my handbag outside, until my mum removed it from me (I had it cross body). She cleaned me up and then the pain set in. I ended up having to drink hot sweet latte to get a bit of composure. It was so bad, my mother had to help me to shower. I am now worried about what the neighbours will think about the wall collapsing and if any of them seen me scurrying into the house with one shoe on, bleeding. I must have looked like a loony. I must stop rambling, anyway, I hope you are all well. X

Tabbycat Tue 26-May-20 11:56:21

flowers for you Flying Handbag

I hate falling over (especially in public). I suffer from vertigo and have balance problems, so this happens now and again.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 26-May-20 11:57:31

Oh FH I feel for you, it sounds like it was more than your handbag which went flying! I wouldn't worry about what the neighbours think - your health is more important. If they saw you they'd be worried and would have come out to make sure that you are all right.
If the pain persists I certainly second the idea of going to A&E or small injuries unit to get checked out in case there's a small break.

Elegran Tue 26-May-20 12:04:02

1) If your pain hasn't got a lot better by tomorrow, go and get it seen to. I don't quite see how the wall could have hurt your neck and shoulder.

2) Remind your father that you are NOT six, and you don't climb on walls any more (is he losing the plot a bit?)

3) Make sure that wall is fixed AT ONCE. It is not safe, it could fall again, either inwards on top of someone or outwards so that they fall to the ground. It comes under "essentiasl repairs" so it will not be breakingh lockdown to get it mended.

4) Take more water with it.

silverlining48 Tue 26-May-20 12:06:41

I am like you tabbycat, and have had some very public and embarrassing falls . I am sure a few people assume I am drunk, wish I was sometimes, but it’s the Vertigo / balance problems. Have been ok lately thank goodness.
Shouldn’t worry FH, it happens to many, your pain is probably bruising which will take a day or two.

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 13:22:14

Thanks all, my father is completely all there, he just thinks I'm a small child. X

silverlining48 Tue 26-May-20 13:59:05

We all think our children are still children despite them clearly being adults. It’s a parent thing.

annodomini Tue 26-May-20 14:23:29

au contraire silver lining. You evidently haven't reached that stage when your children decide that you need their advice. I am approaching 80 (too fast) and my two DSs are middle-aged dads. So of course they know everything. grin

silverlining48 Tue 26-May-20 14:40:38

Mais oui anno, from their point of view they do ( think ) they know everything, and can be bossy, but they are still our children, and always will be however old they get.

I hesitate to offer any advice or suggestion because I am hardly ever, if ever, right. Despite our many years of life’s experience, we apparently know nothing....

Grandmafrench Tue 26-May-20 14:57:30

I hope you are feeling better by now. As welbeck has suggested, maybe a check up would be a good idea once you have recovered from your latest drama! I say "drama" because I recall that when you started posting on GransNet, you did say that you refer to yourself as FlyingHandbag because of the fact that you are so often falling about - shopping centres, in the street, out with friends, etc.

Obviously the odd trip or tumble, especially if you're unhurt, can often be amusing or the basis of a funny story to share with friends, but since you are probably no longer a teenager grin......maybe it's time to take a bit better care of yourself. If you do have an accident and require surgery, it would be very sad to find that your life is even further restricted than it has been recently, as you struggle to recover. So, I shall say to you what we all say at some time on this Forum - please STAY SAFE !

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 15:04:23

Your landlord needs to send round a professional builder to rebuild the wall.

welbeck Tue 26-May-20 15:23:18

i agree, that is the landlord's responsibility to make good the wall.
you could even have a claim against him her, in that it gave way so easily, it was not maintained in a safe condition, and being above ground level, it is really safety critical.
i caution you against putting it back together because that could lead to you being liable under occupier's liability if anyone else falls by relying on it. it will not be obvious to an outsider that it is not sound.
it may need re-building with re-inforcing rods.
it is not like an ornamental wall, or even a boundary marker.
it is safety critical, you are probably bound by your rental agreement to report its failure to the landlord.
i wouldn't mention anything you think you did amiss.
that is irrelevant. such a wall is for that exact purpose, to keep you safe from falling from height. it failed. you are the victim. not the perpetrator. in law you have a claim against the landlord.
and do get yourself checked out. they are less busy at the moment. your parents sound delightful. lucky you. treasure them. good luck.

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 16:41:50

Thanks so much for your advice, I just went out into the garden for some fresh air but I ended up very nervous and came back in. What I didn't realise was, it wasn't the whole wall that came down, it was only a large chunk from the top. I wasn't sure how much had came down at the time, as I was so shocked and nervous. X

Elegran Tue 26-May-20 17:21:51

FlyingHandbag has posted that her parents own the house, so there isn't a landlord.

Marydoll Tue 26-May-20 17:26:20

Elegran, at 11.29am, Flyinghandbag stated, My parents are fitter than me. This house is privately owned and rented to my parents., so apparently they don't own it.
? Therefore, the landlord has a duty of care to repair the wall.

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 17:29:39

Elegran I think FlyingHandbag said that house is privately owned but rented to her parents so it is the landlord's responsibility.

In fact, you could put in a claim for pain and distress or other injuries caused by his/her negligence, FlyingHandbag.
If nothing else, that should hurry along the repairs.

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 17:30:20

X post Marydoll
Slow typist alert

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 17:35:23

I am worried about someone being seriously injured. I would rather I was injured than someone else.

gillybob Tue 26-May-20 17:51:21

Just noticed this thread . I do hope you are okay Flyinghandbag . You must’ve had a real shock . The landlord needs to get the wall repaired not your father . It couldn’t have been very sturdy in the first place for it to fall as easily as it did . Just glad you weren’t seriously hurt . smile

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 17:57:47

Thanks gillybob. It gave me a horrible shock. I am also worried that my neighbour's external wall is the same(semi-detached house), especially since she has small great grandchildren. I seem to be finding out more and more about the fall. I learned that the big slab of stone and plaster that hit me had hit me with such force it halved in two. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 18:04:22

Still very sore, I'm going to eat chocolate orange and watch EastEnders from last night. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 18:18:16

I don't want to sour things with the landlord as my parents get on great with them and we have mutual friends.

ElaineI Tue 26-May-20 19:00:09

I hope you are ok FH. If you are still in pain tomorrow you should get medical advice. Doctors are trying to get people to contact them for things other than Covid and you might need an X ray.
At the very least your parents should mention it to the landlord as maybe the whole wall will come down if unstable and what if a slab had landed on a child.
Sometimes things are clearer in the morning after time to recover from the shock x

Elegran Tue 26-May-20 19:55:39

IO misred about wgo oens the house, sorry. You shouldn't sour things with the landlord by telling him that the wall is crumbling. You are doing him/her a favour, letting them know so that they can fix it before there is a serious accident. Get on the phone right away.

phoenix Tue 26-May-20 20:12:22

Hope you are feeling a bit better by now, FB but why on earth did you have a cross body handbag on? confused

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 21:12:41

Thanks all. Phoenix I take my handbag everywhere, it's not an actual cross body handbag, it's a top handle handbag with a long strap. I was using the long strap cross body as I thought it would be easier for me as I was tired. X