Gransnet forums

Chat

is nicola sturgeon telling fibs

(86 Posts)
petunia Sat 30-May-20 11:00:06

I don't believe that Nicola Sturgeon hasn't seen a hairdresser since we went into lock down. Nor did i believe the piece in the papers recently saying she cut her own hair. It is far to immaculate and layered for a novice to do. Or maybe she was a hairdresser in a former life??

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 19:06:39

There are always some who can think no wrong of a leader. Most are like the curate's egg - good in parts. There is probably no such thing as one who is good in every respect.

Granny23 Mon 01-Jun-20 19:05:55

A NEW poll on how well leaders and governments have handled the coronavirus crisis has found 82% of Scots think Nicola Sturgeon has done a good job. The Ipsos MORI study of more than 1000 Scots showed support for the First Minister and Scottish Government’s response to the pandemic, while revealing a whopping 55% of Scots think Boris Johnson has done “badly” in his approach to the crisis. The research found 78% of Scots felt the Scottish Government had done well, and just 34% of people felt the UK Government had done well .

The poll was carried out between May 14-20, so does not account for the recent row around adviser Dominic Cummings’s 250-mile lockdown trip to Durham while sick with suspected Covid-19. A separate Savanta ComRes poll, which does cover that period, found Johnson and the UK Governments’ approval rating has plummeted as a result of the story. The data tracker found in four days Johnson’s approval rating dropped from 19% to -1% while the UK Government’s approval rating fell 16 points in one day to -2%6

SueDonim Mon 01-Jun-20 18:35:03

It’s damning with faint praise to say ‘Well, Scotland’s not as bad as England.’ Hardly a ringing endorsement, but of course for some on Gransnet, NS can do no wrong.

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 18:06:26

Eulogising? Do you mean that saying she is better than Johnson is eulogising? Hardly!

Nike? Is a race meeting or a football match a lesser evil, then?

Policies? On what? Ignore independence, most of Scotland is ignoring it for the moment. Several Scots who have agreed with her virus policies have said that they are not fans of independence or of the SNP

Policy on lockdown in Scotland is far from perfect (that depends on individuals observing it) but is anyone claiming that Westminster's policies are perfect either? Or that more people are observing the rules in England that in the other Uk countries?

At the very moment, policies on anything else are barely relevant.

SueDonim Mon 01-Jun-20 18:01:20

No, she’s not, Timetogo. She’s an MSP and the First Minister in Scotland.

timetogo2016 Mon 01-Jun-20 17:19:09

She is a MP and opens her mouth, enough said.

SueDonim Mon 01-Jun-20 17:15:01

Your penultimate sentence, Lemongrove is spot on. I find it hard to see why people are eulogising NS when the stats in Scotland are much of a muchness with the rest of the UK and the care home situation is worse. There is also the questionable behaviour over the Nike conference, when other people were never told they had been at risk of catching CV from the delegates, the lack of PPE, the sending home of elderly people to care homes, the poor testing regime.

New Zealand we, in Scotland, are not.

lemongrove Mon 01-Jun-20 17:03:45

petunia ??
Things got heavy because it’s the norm on GN not to be allowed to criticise Sturgeon in any way at all.Not by everybody of course, but certainly some.
So, you cannot question if she cuts her own hair ( or not!) say that you don’t like her dress sense or six inch high heels, or make up ( very heavily applied) or combative way of speaking.
What you can do however, is say that Johnson must have got dressed in the dark, wears suits more fitting to a Burtons sale than Savile Row, or has his hair cut with pinking shears apparently.? It’s me saying that btw, because nobody is untouchable with criticism, either of their style or their politics.
As for Sturgeons policies, I don’t think even all Scottish grans will agree with them all, or even support the SNP’s aims.
But this thread is just about hair, so policies need another thread.

petunia Sun 31-May-20 14:44:27

Crikey, things have got heavy.

I often watch the lunchtime news and if I put the television on a little early, I catch Nicola giving her daily briefing. For the first few weeks all was well. My own hair is a similar length to hers. Then I realised while mine was growing, hers wasn't. Then I saw the piece in the news about her cutting her own hair. It got me thinking. Why do that? Had someone questioned the perfect hair and it was a genuine response or was this staged. Could Nicola be fibbing here. Nothing is straight forward in politics.

Lucca Sun 31-May-20 14:30:36

I’m not a gran in Scotland by the way......

Marydoll Sun 31-May-20 14:28:06

Clever puns Maw, but to the point, as usual. My sentiments exactly.

MawB Sun 31-May-20 13:44:48

I cannot believe that anybody is getting up a head of steam about whether or not Nicola Sturgeon is cutting her own hair or having it cut by her husband (is she married?) /partner or even if it matters

The list of more important things to —nitpick— stress about would stretch from here to Kirriemuir.

Glorybee Sun 31-May-20 13:23:31

Elegran - I had only just read that report on Covid in Scotland before browsing GN and it did seem relevant to your post, although not particularly to this thread!

I can’t bear to watch the news these days so can’t comment on NS’s hair. I gave myself a no 3 Clipper cut a few weeks ago which is something I’ve always wanted to do (from just on the shoulders). The kids don’t like it but I really do so it’s going to be ‘pixie’ for me from now on!

Jane10 Sun 31-May-20 13:22:53

Yes he would Elegran mainly because he's a man of integrity!

Elegran Sun 31-May-20 13:04:29

If I were posting politically (which I would never do grin ! ) I would point out to Glorybee that the long quote she posted was by ^"Labour’s shadow Scottish secretary Ian Murray" - and he would say that, wouldn't he ?

Jane10 Sun 31-May-20 12:58:06

Speaking as a large Scottish gran, I saw this thread was called 'Is Nicola Sturgeon telling fibs' hence my reaction. Just as the Cummings affair undermined English public health info, Sturgeon's allegedly self done hair is another fib (among others) that undermines her message. It worries me that English Grans somehow think SNP is universally popular in Scotland or that we're all impressed by NS. For the sake of clarity - we're not!

Caramac Sun 31-May-20 12:52:12

Some people can cut their own hair and it looks fine.
I can’t and usually have my short hair cut and coloured, for free, in my daughters salon every 4 weeks.
Currently it’s a bit messy lengthwise but the big black roots are awful. Almost wish it were grey.
I’m so looking forward to when the salons reopen.

LadyBella Sun 31-May-20 12:46:07

For over 30 years I've had my hair coloured and often wondered what colour it really was. Now, since lockdown, I know. It is greyish on top which has got lighter due to the sun and has blonde streaky bits from the now-faded colour that was put on it pre-lockdown. If I was 50 years younger I'd look like a beach babe. But I'm not sure what I look like now at my age. I need to ask DD as she's usually honest enough to tell me!

Summerlove Sun 31-May-20 12:38:13

What a silly thing to pick at.

Always looking to knock another woman down. Sad really.

Especially from so many who scream stop trying to score political points during a lockdown and worldwide crisis.

Marydoll Sun 31-May-20 12:33:38

I don't think I'm even that tall nowadays!! grin

lemongrove Sun 31-May-20 12:29:53

I know marydoll ( none better) having seen you in The Argy many times, about 4 feet eleven in your stilettos??
Wee but feisty.

Marydoll Sun 31-May-20 12:16:07

lemon ?, so was I hoping for a lighthearted thread!
If you wish to split hairs , I am indeed a wee Scottish gran, just like my mother before me! wink

lemongrove Sun 31-May-20 12:11:55

Haha marydoll I hope we will all be parting on good terms, but I need to comb through these posts carefully as a few are a bit nitpicking ?also, should you have put wee Scottish grans instead of we Scottish grans?
Most of us are dyeing for a good laugh these days .....it’s just what the hairdresser ordered.
Grannynanny...lockdown is suiting me just fine btw the absolute rest has done me so much good, but the state the country will be in ( like many other countries) is the worrying thing, along with hoping none of us will catch this virus.
Which is why, along with gilly I was hoping for a more lighthearted thread, there are so many already under news and politics.

Marydoll Sun 31-May-20 12:00:00

Grannynannywanny, I do love a good pun. I think you have crowned us all! grin

Grannynannywanny Sun 31-May-20 11:55:06

Well that just crowns it for me. So many flaky and cutting remarks.
It’s enough to make one want to curl up and dye.
Some folk get very snippy at times. I wonder what’s at the root of it. Could it be lock down?