Gransnet forums

Chat

Ding Dong Bell

(47 Posts)
Rufus2 Mon 01-Jun-20 06:51:24

What better time to re-visit GreatNan's Jokes? grin

Church Bells
On hearing that her elderly grandfather had just passed away, Katie went straight to her grandparent's house to visit her 95 year old grandmother and comfort her.
When she asked how her grandfather had died, her grandmother replied, "He had a heart attack while we were making love on Sunday morning."
Horrified, Katie told her grandmother that 2 people nearly 100 years old having sex would surely be asking for trouble.
"Oh no, my dear, " replied granny. "Many years ago, realizing our advanced age, we figured out the best time to do it was when the church bells would start to ring. It was just the right rhythm. Nice and slow and even. Nothing too strenuous, simply in on the Ding and out on the Dong."
She paused, wiped away a tear and then continued, "And if that damned ice cream truck hadn't come along, he'd still be alive today!"
OoRoo

Jane10 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:10:41

Sorry Furret. Didn't mean to make you feel worse, I just felt sorry for Rufus2 who was trying to cheer us all up.
I hope your day improves.

Furret Tue 02-Jun-20 16:22:13

That’s kind of you Jane

I did apologise before Rufus fired both barrels.

Rufus2 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:26:33

Sorry Rufus but why are you reposting GreatNan’s jokes? Seems a bit.....odd
Furret I should be in bed again, but felt the need to straighten things out!
Our local Council is doing an excellent job of maintaining morale with a pop. of about 200,000. especially for the elderly. They've asked for contributions for another newsletter including stories, recipes, jokes etc
So I thought I'd plagiarise GreatNan's. .plagiarised jokes and whilst compiling some I thought the Ding Dong could go down well, (amongst others) and worth repeating here..
So in the spirit of Eric and Ernie
" Bring me Sunshine in Your Smile
Bring me Laughter All the While"

Purely altruistic, that's why! grin
OoRoo

Furret Tue 02-Jun-20 16:35:03

I’m not up to laughing today or yesterday Rufus but it would have helped if you had acknowledged my apology.

When someone makes a mistake and realised that a post sounded worse than intended all they can do is say sorry.

Doodle Tue 02-Jun-20 19:48:31

furret a genuine apology should always bee accepted. Whatever is happening in your life I hope you feel better soon flowers

NfkDumpling Tue 02-Jun-20 20:03:24

Thank you Rufus. I did like GreatNan’s jokes although I seem to remember she could be a bit feisty at times. I think I do remember the incident about the riding Gilly. I’d not joined GN and can remember wondering how on earth she could do it - or why she would want to.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 02-Jun-20 22:12:14

Rufus, sorry to hear about the BPPV yet again, you have my sympathy, are they going to do the Epley manoeuvre on you? I just noticed on another thread that you have been checked out so at least you know that it isn’t another problem. As you say it can happen at any time, and it doesn’t get any easier to deal with, I rarely drive out of our area in case I have an ‘attack’ and can’t get back home, it’s a blasted nuisance and so debilitating.
Anyway, chin up buttercup !

gillybob Tue 02-Jun-20 22:51:21

She was a retired tax inspector Nfk she liked to remind us often . I was honestly frightened that I had landed my DDiL in trouble when I innocently posted that she could no longer afford to keep her old horse but the solution was that a kindly stable owner allowed her to work in return for free stabling.

Her jokes could be funny . But the real life person, sadly not so much.

NfkDumpling Tue 02-Jun-20 23:03:49

That explains a lot Gilly.

merlotgran Tue 02-Jun-20 23:06:20

You did have to watch your back with GreatNan

Rufus2 Wed 03-Jun-20 13:15:15

I'm a bit nonplussed! confused As I've already explained, I set off on a mission following a request from our local Council for interesting, stories, recipes, jokes, etc for its forthcoming edition of a Newsletter aimed at keeping our spirits (not that kind )up during lockdown.
GreatNan's archives seemed to be a good place to look for material, but now the thread is threatening to become a commentary on GreatNan herself as much as her jokes.
I never knew her "on-line" let alone as a person, so I have no opinion in that regard, but wouldn't it be better if detractors set up another thread and only contribute jokes, any, here! That would enable me to print off without having to censor the other stuff. hmm
Thank you,
Good Health!

Rufus2 Wed 03-Jun-20 13:45:42

Here's one and not a GreatNan gem! grin Source is/was Jim, an Irishman, sadly no longer with us, who was an ideal match to GreatNan, with an enormous fund of jokes, better for being spoken in the Oirish! It's been on before, but who cares!?grin
"Jane and Mary met in their local Supermarket;
Jane; "Hello Mary, long time no see! How are you?
Mary; Not too bad thank you! I see your trolley is half full of dog meat cans. Have you had a dog for long?
Jane: We haven't! These or for my husband! He loves the stuff. One day I make him a meat pie, then next a casserole, then Cottage pie. He doesn't know, but he loves it.
Mary; Well, fancy that!
And so they departed, to meet again some time later.
After greetings were over, Mary said " I see you have no dog meat this time!?
No, said Jane; my husband died!
I'm sorry said Mary; what happened?
He was in the High Street one day and as he was crossing the road, he suddenly sat down in the middle of the road to lick his ar*e and got run over by a bus! sad

Riverwalk Wed 03-Jun-20 14:21:33

Sorry to further intrude into your joke thread Rufus but regarding Greatnan.

Isn't it funny how we all see/picture/imagine/form an opinion on particular posters.

I remember GN as being feisty, left-wing, opinionated and had an impoverished childhood in Salford.

Also, I think she spent more of her career as a teacher of SEN children in a tough part of Liverpool than she did as a tax inspector.

She was a prolific poster so we got to know a lot about her, including the fact that she was estranged from one of her daughters who had an addiction problem, but was close to the other and her many GC and GCC. Also, post-divorce she had a rather glamorous life in Monaco!

I don't remember the incident regarding gilly but it seems that others do - I have to say that I'm surprised as GN never struck me as an unkind person.

Rufus2 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:06:55

Sorry to further intrude into your joke thread
Riverwalk Not at all! You're welcome and you'd be even more welcome if you brought a joke with you! grin
As I've said before I didn't set out to run a commentary on GN, simply to use some of her jokes, of which there are plenty as you know, for my other project.
I've got the messages that she may not have been a Mother Theresa, I just don't know and I certainly didn't have any thought of hosting a debate on her morals.
I still believe and fervently wish that any commentary on GN other than her jokes is best dealt with elsewhere!
Good Health

AGAA4 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:33:44

Thanks for the laughs Rufus but i think you may be spreading the groanavirus!

Rufus2 Fri 05-Jun-20 11:55:15

Thanks for the laughs Rufus but i think you may be spreading the groanavirus
You could be right AGAAL ! Very deadly too, by looking at the results; killing off the thread, but do not despair. I'm urgently developing an antivenin which may or may not revive casualties.
I think it's called the homeopathic approach! grin
Good Health!

AGAA4 Fri 05-Jun-20 17:20:06

Keep the jokes coming Rufus. They do make me laugh and we need a good laugh these days.
Sorry about Groanavirus!

Rufus2 Tue 16-Jun-20 07:18:43

Always By My Side
A woman's husband had been slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet she stayed by his bedside every single day.
When he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer.
As she sat by him, he said, "You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times. When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you gave me support. When my health started failing, you were still by my side... You know what?"
"What dear?" She asked gently.

"I think you bring me bad luck."

Rufus2 Mon 22-Jun-20 12:08:42

Hi! Clearing out some Win 7 files and found this again. You've seen it before, but if not, it might bring out a smile. grin
IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY
Once upon a time, there was a non-conforming sparrow that decided not to fly south for the winter.
However, soon the weather turned so cold that he reluctantly started to fly south. In a short time, ice began to form on his wings and he fell to earth in a farmyard, almost frozen. A cow passed by and crapped on the little sparrow. The sparrow thought it was the end, but the manure warmed him and defrosted his wings. Warm and happy, able to breathe, he started to sing. Just then a large cat came by, and hearing the chirping, investigated the sounds.
The cat cleared away the manure, found the chirping bird, and promptly ate him!

The moral of the story:
1. Everyone who shits on you is not necessarily your enemy.
2. Everyone who gets you out of the shit is not necessarily your friend.
3. And, if you're warm and happy in a pile of shit, keep your mouth shut!

threexnanny Mon 22-Jun-20 12:24:35

I think good jokes are always worthy of repetition. I went to a Ken Dodd show when he was already in his 80's and about 75% of his jokes I'd heard before, but we all had a good laugh - especially the one about his famous run-in with the Inland Revenue.

Rufus2 Mon 22-Jun-20 15:28:42

I think good jokes are always worthy of repetition
threexnanny Fully agree! I don't know your "taste" in jokes of course, but cleverly constructed, subtle are my favourites!
Rude (but not crude) can be clever! grin
I scurried off to U-Tube to track down that Ken Dodd thing you mentioned, but on the way came across "An Audience with Alf Garnett" doing a solo act on stage for over an hour!
You'll probably disown me in disgust, but I haven't had such a good laugh for ages! grin
If the TV moguls toyed with idea of interfering with "Fawlty Towers", they should be forced to watch Alf! Talk about laugh!
Good Health.