Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(73 Posts)
12Michael Wed 03-Jun-20 06:22:51

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a grey and cooler start here in Brackley at the moment also its dry.
Today , hopefully que up at Waitrose , get a few things , then return and lockdown for rest of the day.
It still remains quite locally where I am , seeing little movement of people.
Take Care
Mick

Nannytopsy Wed 03-Jun-20 08:10:52

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s grey and cool in Suffolk so I plan to do the weeding. We may get some rain but I am not holding my breath.
I know what you mean Marydoll - it is passwords that get me. I have a system but it involves a symbol and some won’t accept that, some must have capitals, some have to have numbers etc. Then, if you have not used it for a while, a site will refuse to accept your password even when it’s saved! Grrr! ?.

I ready your posts with envy Urmston - a holiday in a good hotel, somewhere beautiful seems an impossible dream at the moment.
Chins up team - all of them!

Lins1066 Wed 03-Jun-20 08:20:29

Good Morning Mick and all from the S Welsh coast, just started raining here. I didn't sleep much last night, it was too hot. Will do some cleaning and ironing today now that it feels a bit cooler.
The swing looks very good Scentia.
Stay safe everyone.

mancgirl Wed 03-Jun-20 08:25:49

Good morning from a rainy Manchester. I suppose the gardens do need it but I've enjoyed the Mediterranean style weather of the last few weeks. No baby news ?. Went to see 4yo gs1 in the garden yesterday evening. He said, shall we play tig nan but we can't touch -corona virus. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Anyway we had a lovely half hour before his bedtime. Now it's raining, better do some chores inside today! My gs's would love your swing Scentia very impressed. Have a good day everyone (((hugs))) for those who need one, flowersfor those with extra worries

Gelisajams Wed 03-Jun-20 08:30:24

Good morning from a very wet Morecambe Bay. What a change from yesterday when I sat outside at DS1’s getting sunburnt! I arranged to garden one of my Lake District gardens today but I may cry off if it doesn’t stop raining shortly. When I left teaching and qualified as a garden designer 15 years ago this garden was one of my first designs. I’ve looked after it ever since, despite having to travel for 90minutes to get there.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Pittcity Wed 03-Jun-20 08:35:15

Good morning from a grey skied Colchester. No rain in today's forecast but the garden could do with some.
Our weekly online coffee morning will be a discussion on where we will meet when real life returns as it seems our cafe may be a casualty.

Greyduster Wed 03-Jun-20 08:36:57

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It has been raining!!! Hooray! The garden needs it. A slow start for us will set the tone for the rest of the day I think. I want to sort out the bookcases and CD racks (does anyone use CDs these days?) and ready some stuff for the charity shop, but we don’t have a lot else planned. Have a good day folks.

Grandmafrench Wed 03-Jun-20 08:38:13

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and blue South of France.

Very impressed with your swing, Scentia. Do make sure you get some use out of it.....there doesn’t seem to be loads of time for R&R lately at Scentia Towers, but how lovely that you enjoy your new job so much. Maybe that wouldn’t have happened without the dreaded Lockdown ?

Lots of summer strolling going on in Spainland, Urms. I’ve been picturing the ‘fuschia’ sandals. How pretty do they sound. Probably you don’t go for lengthy rambles in them. We maybe need a photo because I keep picturing you like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz ??

Any chance of hearing how your electronic shopping list works, Ms Marydoll - you clearly still like your techy things? If you’ll be kind enough to write a small revue for this technophobe, I promise to say nothing about you cleaning the house yesterday ??‍??

Small jobs to catch up on today. The last of 3 new T shirts to shorten for DH. Lovely quality but clearly designed for The Incredible Hulk’s bigger brother!? I have a Peace Lily which is in a sulk. Will need to re-pot it and try to see what’s going on. I‘ve always grown these and complain that they get too big but this one has decided to droop badly - must inspect the roots. And.....my lemon tree, for the second year it has given us so much scented blossom, tiny starts to the fruit and then every leaf has fallen! I’m really disappointed. It’s now covered in beautiful new leaves but we won’t get fruit next winter - again. The orange - in a big pot nearby - is covered in tiny fruit. All I have to do is prevent one of my dogs from picking them and then chasing them across the tiles.

In a garden mood, I shall go to a big outdoor pottery place this afternoon and buy some pots to accommodate some new plants - if I don’t get waylaid by something more interesting by then. My diet’s going well - mustn’t focus on food so all I shall say is Asparagus and eggs for lunch and shame it’s not lunchtime already.

Have a good day and hope the rain’s enough for your gardens before giving way to more sunshine, so you can sit out and enjoy your private bits of paradise.

Above all, take care, keep safe! Hugs from ????

Brunette10 Wed 03-Jun-20 08:40:57

Good Morning from a dull Fife. It's been a while since we woke up to this and it is much cooler than of late. Had a lovely visit to DD yesterday on her birthday, it was so good to see her open her parcels etc. but tbh spent the rest of the day quite down. I tried hard not to feel the way I did but I really miss them all and being able to give them cuddles, it just didn't feel like her birthday. I know everyone feels the same so not looking for any sympathy all all. It's difficult. After our visit did not do very much so did not have good night's sleep, been awake for hours so needless to say I'm very tired this morning.
I will give myself a shake and just get on with everything. Hoping everyone has a pleasant day, I will tell myself to keep my chin up wink

Mythbirtthedragon Wed 03-Jun-20 08:51:12

Good morning from east London, cloudy but not too cool. Usual early alert from the bin collectors just before 6am but I was already awake and have spent the last couple of hours continuing in my bid to watch all 7 series of ‘Orange is the new black’ before shutdown is lifted. (Ray of sunshine has just broken through). I think I need a walk; my nieces in Northumberland have been posting on FB of the walks etc they’ve been doing - simonside hills, beaches, River Coquet. London doesn’t quite have everything. Have a good day.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 03-Jun-20 08:52:52

Morning all from South Notts. We have grey skies and steady rain. The garden was in desperate need, I don't think we've seen rain for over a month and I'd had to go out with watering cans each evening.
I enjoyed my sister's visit yesterday afternoon when we sat in the garden (me in the shade as I'm not good in the heat) so it's a good job she didn't leave it till today or it wouldn't have happened.
Your swing looks very inviting Scentia and sturdily made. Well done.
Newquay I'd hate to be a snitch but do you think your neighbour needs a visit from Cats' Protection or similar? Too many animals in one space isn't good is it? For man or beast. It needs nipping in the bud before it worsens.
I know what you mean about technology Marydoll - when I was last in the phone shop (just before lockdown) the sympathetic assistant said that 'technology is flying along' which leaves many of us in its wake, even youngsters sometimes are on the verge of tears when they've a problem.
I hope that today is kind to us and that you get your letter soon Gillybob, stay safe everyone.

Anniebach Wed 03-Jun-20 08:57:30

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Rain for Mid Wales

Marydoll Wed 03-Jun-20 08:59:22

Grandmafrench, the shopping list is a Microsoft to Do app. It's a new app, as the one I used was withdrawn.
I got it on Google Playstore for Android.

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/microsoft-to-do-list-app

There are a number of to do apps, but it's the one with the white background and blue tick.

I have it on my phone and tablets, it has made my life so much easier. My children can access the shopping and find what I need. As you find the item, you delete it. It pings to everyone on the list. I then know that they are about to visit with the goodies!
What's not available, is picked up by another of my children! grin. I have become a techie version of my mother! wink

I have various lists on it and you can invite others to share it.

An example of my lists are:
Prescriptions to be picked up
Mum's shopping
Buses to hospital
Morrisons that's for DH when he can get out again! Keeps him on his toes! wink

It's been a godsend during lockdown.
The pharmacist was most impressed when there was a mix up over prescriptions and my future SIL showed her my prescription list, complete with extra info! wink

EllanVannin Wed 03-Jun-20 09:09:27

Good Morning All x
It must have had a good pour down in the night and is still raining and dull. The large stretch of grass here still looks like a cornfield though so it's going to take quite a soaking before any green shows through.

It still remains like a Sunday here, so quiet all the time with just the odd motor sound. I think we've been hardest hit with this virus which is why there's very little activity in the area---Wirral and Merseyside.

D got word that the end of July has been " chalked in " for a possible return to work but it's not definite. Hers is a very hands-on job with security so she could possibly be looking at October really. Border control is a bit dodgy as it involves NI and Europe. Her job is safe but many others have been laid off poor things.

I was quite upset yesterday to learn that one of my GGC has had to " go away " to a centre in the Lake District that houses children with mental health problems. I could cry for her.
The child has always had behavioural problems from an early age and those in an authoritative position have always laid blame on my GD for not bringing her up properly.?

7 or so years later, everyone's decided that there is a problem but can't yet give a diagnosis. During this lockdown the child ( 11 ) has been sent from pillar to post, it's been horrendous, has also lost her dad which no allowance was ever made on her emotional health. What a nightmare from these so-called professionals ! I could choke the lot of them.

So for the next 28 days she is away from us all with only a health visitor looking in on her once a week from here. I only hope they all know what they're doing this time because nobody else has coped with her-----except my D !
No wonder the child's mother had a breakdown ( my GD ) coping with her and 6 other children then losing their father. We can't go and see her either sad It's upsetting.

Anyway, we've all got to keep our chin up and concentrate on the rest of the children who are all okay, which is why I want to see the twins on their 14th Birthdays because I know D is doing a little tea for them----no friends though.

Some ironing and putting away of clothes today then a steak dinner later so need a fresh veg to go with it, I fancy some nice cabbage.

Hope everyone's day goes well whatever you do and above all stay safe xx

harrigran Wed 03-Jun-20 09:09:37

Good morning from a grey NE where it is raining, started before bedtime last night.
DH will go for our click and collect from Sainsbury's at 11am, we cancelled Morrison's delivery because there was always basics missing and substitutes for other food were sometimes just weird.
I think a neighbour has gone off on holiday, she drove off and has not returned, she was the one who was hospitalised with the virus. Do people who have had it have free run and can visit anywhere ?
BIL remains critical in ICU and information is sketchy, I get the odd text message.
Stay safe.

gillgran Wed 03-Jun-20 09:18:20

Good Morning from an overcast, but very dry Cambs.,

I, too love the look of your swing Scentia, very clever.

This morning I have to try to sort out an order I made last night, ( on-line), I only ordered as it was a good offer, I must have put in the wrong discount code, so everything at full price..!! My IT skills are poor, if there is a wrong way to do it, I do it...!!! hmm

Have a good a day as you can, all you lovely folk.

Susan56 Wed 03-Jun-20 09:20:30

Good morning from the Shropshire borders where we have rain??

Not sure what I will do today as everything done.I have several new books so maybe an indulgent/relaxing day reading.I will look back on these quiet days when we are back in child minding mode in September.

Ellan,so sorry to hear about your GGD.I cannot begin to understand what you are all feeling.It seems so cruel to send an already troubled little girl so far from family.Your poor GD.Thinking of you all?

Hoping for a better day for you gilly? and Cherry hoping you are ok?

Mapleleaf Wed 03-Jun-20 09:22:46

Good morning all,

It’s a wet but mild morning today, but the grass is benefitting and is beginning to look a bit greener.

I hope the rain stops this afternoon though as I’ve got some pansies to plant up into containers and a verbena to pot on before going in the garden.

Will potter about a bit until then as I did all the ironing and cleaning yesterday.

I’m impressed with your swing, Scentia. It looks lovely.

Take care everyone.

Marydoll Wed 03-Jun-20 09:26:22

EllanVannin, I can't begin to imagine how awful it must be for you all. It's heartbreaking.
?

gillybob Wed 03-Jun-20 09:27:36

A late good morning from the NE coast where the weather is miserable , grey, wet and cold . In fact almost back to normal .

I ended up doing my dads big shop yesterday afternoon which is a day earlier than usual . Glad I did looking at what it’s like outside today, wouldn’t fancy queueing around the car park in this awful weather.

Your swing is amazing and very comfy Scentia how clever you are . Did you do the woodwork too? I will have a go at most things but I’m useless with a saw ...can’t seem to get the rhythm going and I’m terrified of power saws.

I bet you feel like you’re on a permanent holiday Urmstongran . I loved hearing you describe your lovely stroll, the cafes and the colours of the sea.... I could almost be there. envy smile

My bloomin’ legs are driving me mad lately, I just can’t seem to get them anywhere comfortable. They’re so stiff and aching like mad . I could do with seeing my consultant but I can’t see that happening any time soon .

Wondering if Mancgirl has any baby news for us yet ? I DiL hope ?

I’m off to spend a few hours in “that place”. Will have a catch up when I get there. Have as good a day as possible everyone.

Love Gillybob x

gillybob Wed 03-Jun-20 09:32:12

Had to come back quickly and say how very sorry I am for you and your family EllanVannin . You have all been through so much recently . The death of her father must’ve taken a huge toll on you little GGD’s mental well being and now this ? I don’t know what to say . I hope she gets the help she needs and deserves . Poor little lamb.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 09:43:15

Good morning Mick and all x

Grey and overcast here in S E Essex, no rain forecast until tomorrow.

We went to our very dear friends yesterday afternoon for a socially distanced catch up (Mr.GG13's grandma knew our friends grandparents so our children are fourth generation of friends) I still struggle with the no hugging on arrival and leaving as they are like family to us and we are a demonstrative lot!!!

Our dear GS has gone back to school today (reception) only three children have turned up they have two teachers and a TA between them, he was so excited to have a little bit of normality and he said to me "don't worry Grandma I know all about social distancing" His school is next door but one to our house so I will pop upstairs later to see if I can locate him on the field.

I have my lovely cleaners here this morning so I am camped in the kitchen-diner to do some online shopping bookwork.

Lovely swing scentia

I do envy your walk Urmstongran wonderful description.

Take care and keep safe folks ?

Purplepixie Wed 03-Jun-20 09:45:19

Good morning from a very grey and overcast East Midlands. A few rains drops earlier but nothing much so far. The gardens do need the rain but i was getting to like the warmer weather.

DH doing the food shop this week for the last time as I need to get out there and do it as I am fed up with him moaning about his morning being disrupted, he cannot find the stuff etc. Moan, moan, moan and more moan. Mind you i am so fed up with this lockdown now that I could streak naked up and down the street - er maybe not. We have enough trouble with our neighbours without me adding to it!

Stay safe and have the best day that you can.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 09:45:34

Ellanvannin so sorry to hear of your GGD, if only they could find somewhere closer to her family, are you and her Mum allowed phone/FaceTime with her. I wish her well.

Purplepixie Wed 03-Jun-20 09:50:39

EllanVannin - Sending you love and hugs flowers

EllanVannin Wed 03-Jun-20 10:01:11

Thankyou ladies.
Marydoll it is heartbreaking and D and I could cry buckets but we have to hold back for the sake of the others----it's difficult.

We are a strong family and will pull together. All we want is a proper diagnosis so the right medication can be administered and not some " cosh " to keep her quiet which is what she's been given but can/ has done more harm than good.

At 11 years of age there are the hormones to consider and coupled with her " problem " she's a ticking time-bomb.
My GD could never take her into a shop. We've all witnessed it in shops/stores, a child who has a melt down ! How we've wished it to go away ? This is and has been so different.

Gillybob, life is never how you want it to be. It's certainly been a test for all of us, you included x