Gransnet forums

Chat

Stop trying to change things you can't. Peace of Mind

(58 Posts)
Notright Wed 03-Jun-20 11:29:20

I have a brief look at the forums most mornings and to be honest I'm stopping. Why? Doesn't anyone have anything better to say than moan, moan, moan.
Has no-one got anything positive, happy or cheerful going on in their lives. There must be something funny next doors children did, rather than something naughty they did. Or what reading has cheered you up lately; or what book do you recommend to take the reader away from all this.
Please, feeling sorry for yourself only leads to misery. Spoil yourself - watch TV all day instead of worrying about cleaning the bathroom, accompanied by a couple of glasses of wine. Play cards with your husband or partner. If you've got older grandchildren get them to organise a weekly meet-up with the family on Zoom. I promise you that is fun. Look out of the window on our sunny days at the beautiful blue blue sky that will once again disappear once planes start flying and cars fill the road. Listen to the birds.
We can't change things so enjoy what you can do please. Keep Safe everyone.

Rufus2 Sat 06-Jun-20 14:02:11

lie down and look at the sky ?
Annie Sounds very attractive, but not in soggy mid-Wales if you don't wish to get double-pneumonia! hmm
Btw how are you getting on with Fred?; Hope you are on top of your agoraphobia! Take care!
Good Health
Slainte

Megs36 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:32:12

while some can just be ignored. ?‍♀️Sorry sent too soon!

Megs36 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:29:59

Miss Adventure Totally agree , particularly that some think theirs is more important

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 22:14:48

Everyone's opinion counts.
Some like to think theirs is more important, but it ain't so.

Anniebach Fri 05-Jun-20 20:59:23

Who if their grandchildren are troubled tells them to go lie
down and look at the sky ?

Megs36 Fri 05-Jun-20 19:41:24

notright I’ve often said the only opinions that count on the forums are those of the majority, I only read a couple of forums now and comment on those that are more varied in interest (to me)

Rufus2 Fri 05-Jun-20 12:17:49

I would leave if everyone here was aggressively cheerful
No chance of you leaving soon then, MissAdventure, that's for sure! grin
"There is no conversation more boring than when every one agrees"
"It pays to be different and it also pays to be nice!" hmm
OoRoo

paddyanne Fri 05-Jun-20 12:10:59

Well ,what a sad world it would be if everyone just walked away from things they believe in because it stressed them.
Its like the people who say you had your referendum in 2014 ...thats the end of it..NO its not ..did you all raise your families to try something once and then give up? I am very happy to say I didn't and nor did my parents..only by working towards the things we want to change can change happen.Walking away is a cowards way out

Kate1949 Fri 05-Jun-20 10:51:00

Yes it is dragonfly

Namsnanny Thu 04-Jun-20 23:06:51

Much better put Callistemon Thankyou smile

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 23:04:05

Yes, a post moaning about Grandparents' perceived moaning.

Rather odd.

Namsnanny Thu 04-Jun-20 23:02:03

It happens periodically, a Granny moaning about moaning Grannies.

dragonfly46 Thu 04-Jun-20 22:26:14

So sorry to hear about your family members OopsadaisyI know how hard chemo can be. I do hope you have good news soon.
I also know what it is like to have no hair Kate. I always had very short hair but being bald is a whole new ball game.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 19:59:44

If I drank in the day I'd spend most of the day asleep and miss all the fun threads on Gransnet.
I dislike playing cards, DH enjoys a game of cards.
DH loathes quizzes, I like them.
If I lie down and look at the sky I have trouble getting up again and anyway the grass is damp.

I really dislike being told what I should be doing.
Grump, grump, grump.

Oopsadaisy best wishes to your family

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 19:46:13

I would leave if everyone here was aggressively cheerful.

I can't stand the rude people, (no excuse, as far as I'm concerned) but talking about life, with all it's ups and downs is what friends do.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 04-Jun-20 19:37:36

sodapop and Lucca thanks, but I’m fine, trying to not overthink it all. The parents understandably don’t want to discuss how things are every five minutes, so we are left trying not to phone too often.
Just keeping fingers crossed and trying to be patient until it’s safe to visit them, as they are shielded it will be a long wait.
Maybe the OP is right, stay away if all I can do is moan. But I do try to be cheerful on here at least.

Kate1949 Thu 04-Jun-20 19:34:18

How kind you are Barmey Alas there's not much hope for mine coming back. I've been like this for 10 years. It's very difficult but when the salon can open I can get back to some sort of normality. I'm pleased for your daughter. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 04-Jun-20 19:25:06

Nope I don't care about the weather, it is never to hot or cold for me. On the whole I am a happy relaxed person but I do get uptight when I read some GN with views that I am totally against, so now I avoid them.
Kate1949 so sorry about your hair, my daughter had the same problem for a while, but now for the last few years she is fine, so there is always hope. Wish I could give you some of my wild growing hair. flowers

Lucca Thu 04-Jun-20 18:46:18

Oopsadaisy. I’m so sorry to hear that. I really hope things turn out well for them and you.

sodapop Thu 04-Jun-20 17:59:56

Wish them well from me oopsadaisy hope the treatment is not too difficult, its hard isn't it when you can't be there to help.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 04-Jun-20 17:29:08

Spoiling myself and drinking wine won’t stop me worrying about 2 young family members who are having Chemo at the moment.
It takes an effort to be cheerful and sometimes the effort is overwhelming especially when we can’t be with the people who need us.
Some are also ill and it takes an effort for them to do normal things that others take for granted.
Actually I’m droning on now because the OP has made me cross, so I’ll go an make a couple of phone calls to the Chemo patients.
Maybe that will cheer me up?

Anniebach Thu 04-Jun-20 17:26:38

Anyone suffering from depression please don’t lie down and
Look at the sky, seek medical help.

I hope the O/P doesn’t work for MIND or voltenteer for the
Samaritans.

sodapop Thu 04-Jun-20 17:21:51

I do appreciate the world around me most of the time Notright I do not appreciate being talked down to as if I were five.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 15:46:04

So, if you're having a bad time, do you just keep your own counsel?
Is there nobody you would have a moan to?

Notright Thu 04-Jun-20 14:24:51

Really not telling anyone to count their blessings, Bluebell, and I can't see how that can be condescending just suggesting ways of taking our minds of the annoying things we can't change. I taught my grandchildren when they were growing up, when things get on top of you lie down, if you can, and look at the sky. I promise you when you do that strength is gained by the beauty of the world. Sorry people find it offensive to appreciate what I have around me. And Rufus 2 I don't watch morning TV. But thank you for the appreciative remarks.