Gransnet forums

Chat

How old are you ...

(91 Posts)
b1zzle Wed 03-Jun-20 11:38:18

... before you look in the mirror?

(I just don't understand why there's always this old woman of 72 looking back at me. In my head I'm always 35!

hollysteers Thu 04-Jun-20 19:32:09

I’m feeling 102 with lockdown, but normally one of my pleasures is painting my face! I love how makeup helps so much. Yes, I’m vain, I’m in a theatre group taking roles and have Botox, fillers and had my eyelids and neck done last year.
I know I don’t look strange as my daughter is ruthless with me and stops me going further bless her. I also put extensions (not too long) in my hair. I’ve had cancer treatment and it’s thin.
I also don’t understand women saying there’s nothing for our age to wear, we don’t have to be silly, there is a wonderful array of clothes to suit now (well there will be when the shops get going) or online. I want to look my best for what’s left to me and I feel happier after making an effort. I’m 73.
Suddenly the phrase 1666, 16 from the back and 66 from the front came into mind? I’m doing a Joan Collins as far as I can.

ElaineRI55 Thu 04-Jun-20 19:39:43

It varies - but usually feel as if I should just be in my forties. I'm 64 but probably think I'm about 44 some days, 84 on other days. I was out shopping one day with an old black coat on and hair that needed to be dyed and was tied up in a bun; when I got a glimpse of myself in a mirror it took a good few seconds to realise that old woman was me! However, also met a workman who thought my husband was my dad and a shop assistant who thought my grandkids were my kids whe I was about 61 - both made my day. I did feel old when I was about 56 and pushing my granddaughter on a swing. She said " Granny, you're very strong" but followed it up immediately with " Most people your age couldn't push this even once". How to bring you back to earth with a bump!

elaine655 Thu 04-Jun-20 20:32:33

I’m nearly 65 but 32 in my head. I’m wondering how I got to that age the years have flown. I confused my 10 year old grandson by telling him I was 32 when his father is 37 ?

annodomini Thu 04-Jun-20 20:57:46

I was always 27 until I saw that the digits had changed over and I was 72. How did that happen? Anyway, I am now 7 years older and can't avoid it!

Bellanonna Thu 04-Jun-20 22:05:11

Yes I think this is the Big Year for you and me annodomini.
It’s crept up almost stealthily. I don’t like it. I think of that decade as being elderly. I’m not elderly, Im not even old. Well that’s what I tell myself and I sometimes believe it!

melp1 Sun 07-Jun-20 15:42:22

I find the worst thing is when I'm on Whatsapp to my grandaughters I'm surprised they don't switch off in horror. grin When I look at my video I'm shocked at the wrinkles, I'm 66 and yes my decolletage is not good, I always wear something to cover it when videoing. Still keep going on whatapp though, I miss them so much.sad

Kandinsky Sun 07-Jun-20 18:13:32

Lockdown really has brought home the reality of how old I look. All these zoom meetings & FaceTime calls.
?

Jane10 Sun 07-Jun-20 18:16:25

I'm 79 inside. Thus pleasantly surprised to look in the mirror and see my external appearance. It's especially good when the mirror is steamed up and Ive forgotten my glasses grin

DonnaLee57 Sun 07-Jun-20 18:17:07

63 but I feel about 103 today lol. Had the grand kids over all day and I'm knackered. Time for some telly and a cuppa brew

Bellanonna Mon 08-Jun-20 21:07:51

?*Jane10*. ....or when the light’s in the right place.

ladymuck Mon 08-Jun-20 21:09:33

I don't care what the mirror says, I'm 40 and that's what I shall stay until I die.

Jane10 Mon 08-Jun-20 21:17:39

That also helps Bellanonna!
I've got a bit of a way to go to catch up with my inner 79 year old though.

JuliaM Mon 08-Jun-20 21:43:04

Im 63 but most days feel 83 due to health issues and poor mobility. In my head im still 35, I just wish that my body would agree and act its age!

Bellanonna Mon 08-Jun-20 22:05:33

Oh, my apologies Jane!! I’ve nearly come to the end of my 79
alas! ?

Charleygirl5 Mon 08-Jun-20 22:44:45

I have no mirrors in my bedroom so no nasty surprises. In one of the other bedrooms I have fitted wardrobes with mirror sliding doors- I rarely go in there- my cat likes to admire herself so that is fine by me. Maybe she is wondering who the intruder into her house is?