Gransnet forums

Chat

Miserable people.

(62 Posts)
MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 14:21:37

God there are some miseries on here !

Doesn’t matter what the thread is about in they come with their criticisms . Experts at finding something to complain about. Has someone left out a comma or heaven forbid added a space before the comma .
Then there are those who are like counsels for the prosecution demanding to know the evidence for your opinion.

I’m waiting for the dogpiling. Who will be first to tell me that if I don’t like it I know what I can do. Yes . I do know .

I wondered at first if we all get like this as we get old . Is it a progression from menopause / andropause to gerontopause ? ( I made that last one up ).

But no it doesn’t always follow . There are many kind people on here. And a few very funny people . Lots of helpful people . And reflective people who lighten up my days. I see some names and really look forward to their posts or threads.

I have learned a lot from Gn and had many a good book recommendation which is where I started on here. So I guess I’m going to keep going.

Well ! I feel better after that. What do you think ?

Judy54 Thu 04-Jun-20 17:30:47

So the truth is out MissTree you were having a grumpy afternoon and could not find anything cheery on here. Definitely not looking at the right threads. Hope you have a better day tomorrow smile

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 17:29:43

Well if I was having a “down” afternoon, having a grump about everybody else is not how I would hope to cheer myself up!

MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 17:13:05

It’s no big deal. I was having a grumpy afternoon. I looked for something to cheer me up and couldn’t find anything. Perhaps I should have listened to my dear old mum who said! “ if you’ve nothing nice to say...”

dontmindstayinghome Thu 04-Jun-20 17:09:52

I agree MissTree, although I wouldn't necessarily call them "miseries" - I define them as "Negative Nellies" or "Ranters".

I find more and more often that I go through the "trending" list and avoid reading anything. Same old ranters spouting the same old garbage - in my opinion anyway!

I think a lot of older people become very self-focussed too. They seem to lose the ability to view an issue from someone else's perspective and only see how it impacts them.

Thankfully there are some very good positive, helpful and entertaining posters too, you just have to wade through the mud to find them. grin

MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 17:09:20

Wibby,
So people who have problems ( don’t we all ) are entitled to express their opinions ?
So can I also express mine ?

Lucca Thu 04-Jun-20 17:05:33

Isn’t this
the second of these ? There was one about not complaining about what you can’t change, um listening to the birds and thinking positive thoughts ? So I’ll repeat what I said on there, it is the variety of posts, threads, opinions, Personalities that makes GN fun.

MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 17:02:59

Please reread the OP. You will see I do not malign everybody. I was brought up not to attack personally but to leave an escape route. When we see we have made mistakes we can correct them without losing face. So someone might say,” maybe I got that wrong” .

Wibby Thu 04-Jun-20 17:01:10

Bit harsh MissTree, I think your out of order, you have no idea what these posters ( miseries your word) are going through in their everyday life. This is a forum for discussion and posters are entitled to post their opinion, if you dont like it dont read it! No need to criticise!

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 16:59:09

What is wrong with Eloethan’s request for what you term “Give me the evidence” ? confused

MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 16:58:35

It’s not about different opinions. They are to be welcomed. Just say it nicely. Don’t attack the poster. If I don’t understand, explain to me. I want to learn.

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 16:58:08

Right.
Now I am going to be a “miserable person”
I hate it when we get general threads about some people bring picky/intolerant/miserable/bullying or whatever without any reference to what OP is disgruntled about.
I was always brought up to say it right out to a person’s face if they had upset me , not mither away under my breath which leaves everybody thinking “Was it me?” “What did I /he/she say?”

So spit it out please MissTree as things stand you are maligning all the kind, cheerful, helpful members of GN by lumping everybody together.

MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 16:56:04

Here we go. Give me the evidence ... hahaha.

Eloethan Thu 04-Jun-20 16:52:57

MissTree It would be interesting to know which "miseries" you are referring to. As expected, already someone has come on citing an unnamed "unpleasant" person whose threads she refuses to read.

I suspect that some people define a "misery" as someone whose opinions they disagree with.

MerylStreep Thu 04-Jun-20 16:45:08

MissTree
Totally agree. But misery loves company, doesn't it?

MerylStreep Thu 04-Jun-20 16:43:21

Kitty
I love your fat finger posts. Keep them coming. ???

kittylester Thu 04-Jun-20 16:36:59

My flipping phone!

What have I missed now?

kittylester Thu 04-Jun-20 16:36:12

Wgat have i missed now?

Judy54 Thu 04-Jun-20 16:34:34

Misery, happiness, sadness, joy, anger, fear are all part of human emotions which most of us will experience at some time in our lives. It does not mean that those you find Miseries on here MissTree are permanently like that. There are plenty of happy threads on here such as culture/arts, food, gardening and style/beauty which may suit you better. Perhaps you could start your own happy thread telling us what makes you feel jolly/cheerful. We would love to hear!

Missfoodlove Thu 04-Jun-20 16:31:50

Great thread!
I avoid all political threads now.
There is one poster who I find very unpleasant, once I see their name on a thread I will not post.

AGAA4 Thu 04-Jun-20 15:19:51

MissTree. Love your name!
I enjoy reading most of the threads on here but I understand that sometimes it can get a bit personal and that can be uncomfortable reading.

MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 15:09:06

ROFL

Toadinthehole Thu 04-Jun-20 15:06:36

Please MissTree, not in front of everyone!?. Remember......no touchy?

MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 15:04:15

Toad. I think I love you !

Toadinthehole Thu 04-Jun-20 15:02:56

I’m glad you didn’t MissTree, sometimes posts like yours make me realise I’m not the only one, if you know what I mean?

Starblaze Thu 04-Jun-20 14:59:13

I think honestly we are never too old to learn and I find it helpful when my spelling or grammar is corrected.

It also hurts my head to read punctuation in the wrong places, it interrupts the written flow.

However I don't correct people, as I know some do not like it. I also definitely do not agree with people who are rude about it.