Gransnet forums

Chat

Adult children living abroad

(41 Posts)
Dressagediva123 Sat 06-Jun-20 17:56:33

I’ve just had a very heated conversation with my youngest daughter who lives in Canada - I’ve had a tough week with two friends finding out their cancer has returned/ and my eldest grandson birthday is tomorrow/ is with my eldest daughter in Sweden ( we can’t be together for the foreseeable future) I told her I was sad / and struggling this week with one thing and another. She told me off good and proper / said I was passive aggressive/ always trying to make them feel guilty for not living in the U.K. . I am struggling with my emotional state at the moment / but I take ownership of my feelings. I don’t ever say your make me feel etc.
And said o act as if they we’re dead and had dis owned them - then she rang off .
I certainly haven’t disowned them - far from it - we speak regularly and recently have been trying to work out how we can go to Canada to help with child care for the summer holidays ( it doesn’t seem possible currently with the restrictions) .
At the moment I don’t think I can ever share my feelings again with her / just keep quiet and tow the line - but my husband says why should you .
I have a very stressful job -dealing with families who are separated- so I am aware of how to use language etc but this is too close to home and I feel at a loss .

Speldnan Sun 07-Jun-20 12:22:38

So sorry about this and I totally understand. My son and 2 GDs live in New Zealand and I very rarely see them plus my son not a very good communicator. It took me a many years to come to terms with them being so far away. In down times I would occasionally voice my grief and I know my son hated me doing this. I didn’t set out to make him feel guilty but I’m sure he did. In recent years I’ve resisted showing my feelings but did tell him I missed him in a low moment last week. He never gets cross with me but I know when he doesn’t respond much that it makes him feel bad not being here.
I think you’re DD could’ve been more understanding but I reckon our children think parents should be the ones to comfort them rather than the other way round. Selfish yes but I think that’s just the way many are.

Hetty58 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:23:02

Dressagediva123, I think your daughter doesn't really want to hear about your sadness and struggling. It makes her feel helpless as she's at a distance.

Your husband is with you for support, so maybe just communicate with her when you're in a more positive mood. Perhaps she doesn't tend to share her worries with you, to avoid upsetting you - so felt it should work both ways?

Missee Sun 07-Jun-20 12:29:11

My daughter lives in Tasmania & I came back from there just before lockdown. I’m almost 63, on my own & they asked me to move out there. I love the idea so I came back started making plans, then COVID happened. My son who’s divorced lives 150 miles from me, has 2 children. I hadn’t told him of my plans, now he seems to need me, FaceTiming, calling when he has children. I’m torn

cassandra264 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:31:12

Jishere 'you can't expect your daughter to be your emotional support when she is miles away'.

She can't be there to give you a hug, no. You can't expect her to change her life to suit you, either.

But yes, you can give people support from a distance. You can learn to really listen to each other on the phone, however far away you are geographically, and acknowledge how the other person feels. Even if there is nothing that can be done to change the situation, that should help a bit.

Everyone has a right to their feelings.Expressing them appropriately is always more difficult...

Missee Sun 07-Jun-20 12:35:57

Hit post button accidentally. DD & family are excited I’m coming. DD has lived there 14 years. DS has had me here for 62 years, I now feel guilty about going. It’s so difficult

Dressagediva123 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:47:22

Thank you all for your helpful insight into the situation I found myself in yesterday. It really helps talk it through. I tend to agree with some of you who expressed feelings and sadness isn’t always well received as our daughters / sons don’t always know how to deal with them/ I have resolved not to say anymore about it - obviously barking up the wrong tree so to speak. I will let things ride for a while and hope things blow over . My daughter did say ‘ I have disowned them because they don’t live in the U.K. ‘ I’m lost as to why she would say that / it feels like the other way around . Anyway thx again all

Finnrock Sun 07-Jun-20 12:48:15

I feel sad that I can’t go to Finland this year. My eldest son lives there and I have lovely daughter in law who video calls me many times a week and my son and grandkids are in touch all the time,so iam lucky there ,but miss them so much and the country of my birth .

Juliet27 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:48:18

Don’t as a mum express your feelings to them. It doesn’t work sadly

I do agree with that jefm.!

Jishere Sun 07-Jun-20 13:36:44

Cassandra264 of course agree everyone should express but when siblings are living abroad it must be difficult to give emotional support when they themselves may have to keep a lid on their already emotions like being homesick....etc and don't want to feel helpless. I guess this is a difficult one.

Chaitriona Sun 07-Jun-20 13:47:43

It is horrible for you to be treated like this by your daughter. Especially her hanging up on you. And at a time when you are feeling low. The lockdown and uncertainty is having a psychological effect on us all and is probably affecting you. You must feel upset and miserable. Also angry, I would think, because it seems unjust. Why should she be able to express herself in such an extreme way and you have to suppress all your feelings. However I am sure you want to have a good relationship with your daughter. She has at least communicated clearly what she is hearing from you. Even if you don’t mean it, this is what she hears. She is hearing that you are sad because she is in Canada. That you are unhappy because of her. That you are angry with her because you are unhappy. That she is responsible for making you happy. That it is more important to you to burden her with your unhappiness than to protect her from it so that she can feel free and be happy herself. Your unhappiness about your grandson in Sweden probably makes her think of her children not being with you. And seems like a criticism of her too. If she didn’t feel responsible for your happiness, she wouldn’t feel so guilty and so desperate and angry herself. But of course, she can do nothing about all the things that are making you unhappy. Maybe make some space for her feelings. Acknowledge them as real. Ask her what you say and do that makes her feel like this. Say you are sorry you make her feel like this. If she feels heard she might be calmer. Then there needs to be some space for your feelings also, for you to explain that this is not your intention, that what she is hearing is not what you are saying. That of course you miss her but that you are not criticising her or blaming her, that you are responsible for and can cope with your own life, that her being free to lead her own life is what you want. A mother and a daughter are always going to have a fraught relationship. We never fully leave behind the adult/child dynamic. We push each other’s buttons in a way no other person can. But it is also one of the strongest relationships in life. When you are apart and can only communicate by phone, why not try to make that phone call one your daughter will look forward to, rather than one she will dread. It may feel unfair but it will be best for you both. I am so sorry you have had this horrible thing happen to you when you were already down. I expect it will pass one way or another. Good luck.

jaylucy Sun 07-Jun-20 14:42:24

This "passive aggressive" phrase is being used so much these days that I wonder if some people actually understand what it really means !
You have had a rotten couple of weeks with what is happening with those that you care about and I can fully understand that you are feeling down. If by telling your daughter all about it, she feels that you are being "P/A" , it's more than likely she is feeling "passive guilty" because she feels that she should be with you, or you with her!
Just be kind to yourself for a while. Put your family "problems" to one side for a bit until you can deal with the devastating news that you have had. Don't even think about helping out with childcare arrangements - your family are adults and just this once, they need to make alternative arrangements , as lovely as the feeling of being needed is.

Buffy Sun 07-Jun-20 14:58:42

In my experience children don’t want to think that their parents are vulnerable/ sensitive human beings. They just want to feel that we are strong no matter what and that they can always turn to us with their problems but can’t cope with the fact that we sometimes need to confide/moan to them.
They want to feel like the child not a friend. Share your feelings with your husband or friends.

Jennyluck Sun 07-Jun-20 20:09:08

Red1 and Jefm, love both your comments. Which are spot on, as a mother sometimes you just can’t win.

Mez14 Sun 07-Jun-20 21:24:50

What I have noticed with families is that mom copes with everything and is the one children and spouses depend upon when they face tough times. They can’t cope when mom can’t cope. It overwhelms them. Like the others said, give her time to cool down then call her as if nothing has happened. We’d like to think our children will support us like we have supported them but it doesn’t work in the same way. I think your daughter would be there for you when its really needed but it sounded like it was just not the right moment this time.

OceanMama Sun 07-Jun-20 23:56:36

I'm not sure that's it is that adult children don't want to support their parents of expect Mum to be strong all the time. I am willing to support my Mum, she's only human and has issues too. Support goes both ways. I do support my Mum but I don't count on her for support much. I'm more likely to talk to my father if I need a sympathetic ear.

Things to consider are, do you complain about the same thing all the time? Frequently? It's frustrating when someone does that, especially if they are frequently casting themselves in the victim role and you can see where they are contributing to the situation but don't dare say so.