Gransnet forums

Chat

Who has an AC who’s lost a job due to virus?

(59 Posts)
Nanamar Tue 09-Jun-20 02:08:01

Our adult son just turned 40 and was out of work for a year two years ago due needing treatment for clinical depression. He is feeling so disheartened because he feels he had a wonderful education (he did) and many advantages (he did) but he became a teacher out of university, then decided he didn’t like it, couldn’t find anything he did like, until eight months ago, and has now lost that job because of Covid. Any of you out there whose ACs have similar situations? He’s beating himself up about his “choices”
and his not achieving his potential but there’s no way that anyone could have predicted this mess!

MadeInYorkshire Thu 11-Jun-20 10:35:20

Ailsa43

All these stories are heartbreaking, I wish all the best for you all and your AC's... and MadeInYorkshire I wish you all the best for tomorrow and hope you can hold onto your home

Thank you @Ailsa - apparently it could take some time for her to even get in touch with them at all!! The one thing I am doing is paying my mortgage, that isn't an issue, but it runs out in 7 years and there is £60k not covered which is why I have been trying to get them to do something like extend the term etc, amalgamate it or offer me some hope of being able to go out of my own home in my box! Even the Equity Release people, 2 of them who are trying to sell me a product have said don't do it!! lol So stuck between a rock and a hard place with nowhere to turn .....

dragonfly46 Thu 11-Jun-20 08:57:37

Adult child

watermeadow Thu 11-Jun-20 07:19:33

What’s an AC?

Ailsa43 Wed 10-Jun-20 22:37:36

All these stories are heartbreaking, I wish all the best for you all and your AC's... and MadeInYorkshire I wish you all the best for tomorrow and hope you can hold onto your home

AllotmentLil Wed 10-Jun-20 22:34:08

Lost half of my post!
It has helped to know that he is not the only one in this position. I wish the best of luck to all those looking for a job. Thankyou all for sharing.

AllotmentLil Wed 10-Jun-20 22:30:02

My DS has been made redundant. He was the director in a branch of a large company so obviously they have saved more money by making the highest paid redundant. He has arranged mortgage and car loan holidays and job seekers allowance.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 10-Jun-20 22:18:27

Sussexborn

My DD had totally different weddings and both were perfect. OHs niece had an open air wedding based on a country fayre. It’s amazing what a bit of imagination can do.

Hopefully it won’t have to be a masqued affair.

Ha, ha! I was winding her up earlier as to whether or not she was going to put facemasks compulsory on the invites! Bt awkward when it comes to toasting the B&G and trying to eat!

Sussexborn Wed 10-Jun-20 21:25:13

My DD had totally different weddings and both were perfect. OHs niece had an open air wedding based on a country fayre. It’s amazing what a bit of imagination can do.

Hopefully it won’t have to be a masqued affair.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 10-Jun-20 21:04:24

LolaHolaSnr - Hi - do you have a link to "Look at the Government paper issued on 19 March stating that this virus was NOT a danger to public health" please? (Not a Govt fan by any means, but would be very interested to see that!!)

pinkpeony - many thanks for your thoughts, we are both under the GP (seeing him tomorrow!) and have quite a lot of support, BUT there's not really a great deal anyone can do ..... we are both taking medication, I can't eat or sleep, not handy for a diabetic and am just not looking after myself, neither of us are .... the lady from the MH Money Advice Service is going to 'try' and contact my bank, but even that isn't easy at the moment and she said that it wouldn't be anything quick as she isn't sure she will be able to get hold of anyone!

On a more pleasing note though, my youngest daughter (and I suspect that this is because she knows we have not much to look forward to) is going to get married, in September - she is doing legally at the Registry Office with 2 witnesses, and then we are going to have a 'ceremony' in our friends large house and garden - it will be small, simple and cheap but nice too .... can you get 'wedding facemasks'?

Willow500 Wed 10-Jun-20 18:36:18

Not my AC but my eldest GD had been on a prolonged probation having been moved into another department last year and had been working from home through the lockdown until suddenly receiving notice last month. A great shock but she pulled herself back up up and found another job as a support worker within a fortnight and is now undergoing her training. She and her partner who was furloughed from his job were obviously on a high when a week later he got a phone call to say they could no longer keep him on so he is now looking for another job sad A big worry as they have rent etc to pay. Sadly they are not alone and this is only going to get worse when companies have to start contributing to employees pay.

Unigran4 Wed 10-Jun-20 15:56:27

Thank you, Graso, I feel a bit more comfortable now!

Candy6 Wed 10-Jun-20 08:08:47

I am so sorry to hear about this. My son only really got to start his working life last September after illness and I’m hoping and praying he’ll still have a job when this is over? It’s anxiety provoking for all of us and I feel truly sorry for those losing their jobs. As parents, we can only be there to support our children during bad times as I’m sure you have done in the past. There is nothing worse than seeing our children suffer. Be strong and good luck xx

LolaHolaSnr Wed 10-Jun-20 00:21:39

These tales are sad. My belief that it was all for naught makes it so much worse. Why do I think this? Look at the Government paper issued on 19 March stating that this virus was NOT a danger to public health. Why did the Govt act the way it did/is if they knew it was not any more dangerous than any other influenza in previous years?! I do not know for sure but I can think of several reasons why they may have. It is criminal to say the least. All I ask is for people to research/investigate and not to believe or take things at face value.

Lizbethann55 Tue 09-Jun-20 23:32:46

My DS is an actor. He had just started touring with a play which was running until the end of June when all the theatres closed. He was so disappointed as the play was great fun and he was hopeful it would lead to better things for him. The theatres will be the last part of society to reopen I think. And even when they are given the go ahead it will be ages before they are up and running due to audition being needed and rehearsals. My DS has a job at the big Bolton Tesco putting click and collect orders in cars. So at least he has a small amount of money coming in. And the job was really not hard to get. His fiancee is furloughed from her job as an in house artist for a theatre. She was due to get a pay rise a couple of weeks after lockdown which would have meant more money on furlough, but it was not to be. My 2 DDs and SiLs are all still working. Two from home and 2 are key NHS workers.

Graso Tue 09-Jun-20 23:10:23

Unigran4

If you look at the top left of the page under the heading ‘Gransnet Forums’ you’ll see the word ‘acronyms’.

Click on there and all will be revealed!

Ellie Anne Tue 09-Jun-20 21:35:17

My son and d in l are both furloughed just now. He had to isolate because his daughter had symptoms and has been told they will be in touch when they want him back. I’m a bit concerned about it.

Unigran4 Tue 09-Jun-20 19:40:06

Sorry Gransnet, I'm new here. Can someone please explain to me the abbreviations. OH, I assume is Other Half, and DIL is Daughter-in-Law but AC? DD? OC? Sorry to be a pain

Urmstongran Tue 09-Jun-20 19:31:08

I think many who are currently furloughed will not be taken back but they just don't know it yet

I think you’re right newnanny.

Our eldest daughter’s partner is a graphic designer since university degree. He is being furloughed at present but it seems more than likely he will be let go next month. Little work about. Who needs a graphic designer to produce art advertising businesses with hardly any customers?

I think the best well off will be pensioners. We’ve had a regular income during C-19.

Will we spend our savings? Some of us will be helping family members financially I think.

pinkpeony Tue 09-Jun-20 19:07:31

@MadeInYorkshire
I am sorry that you and your daughter are having such a stressful time. I have no wise words to make everything better but I wanted you to know I am thinking about you.

As you are feeling so low you and your daughter might be able to get some help through your doctor.

flowers

Nanamar Tue 09-Jun-20 17:00:46

Thank you all so much for sharing. Your stories are very helpful in terms of reminding me that we are not alone and this has affected so many of us in so many ways. It is so hard to parent an adult child sometimes. I know we need to”let go” bit sometimes we just can’t.

Rosina Tue 09-Jun-20 16:11:59

My AGC has lost his job - cuts had to be made and he was last in, just a few months ago. Very worrying - but at least he is single. I think about those with mortgages and children - and how this is all going to shake down over the next year.

patcaf Tue 09-Jun-20 16:09:35

Eldest (mid forties) was struggling to stay afloat due to depression and panic attacks. When she lost her job when company collapsed in March we persuaded her to come live with us as she was not coping financially or emotionally. Glad we did as she is much better and looking for work again. We hope she will stay for another year or so and get therapy before she tries to live on her own again. We were lucky in that we have the room and can manage financially.

Franbern Tue 09-Jun-20 16:03:32

No 2 daughter is a teacher/lecturer for Learning Skills youngsters at local College. Has met all requirements for these, but as the College is losing so funding has been told her contract will end at end of July this year. Difficult - she is the wage earner for her family - hubbie is severely disabled - they have four children. I am worried sick about this. At present she is still continuing to work with her pupils on line, etc.

Greta8 Tue 09-Jun-20 15:30:46

What sad and worrying times for our children. My son-in-law works in compliance for a major bank, working from home and seems ok at the moment. My daughter has been on maternity leave - all her colleagues are working from home. So we shall have to see what happens there. Such a stressful situation for so many people at the moment. Grim.

shysal Tue 09-Jun-20 14:51:34

DD2 started up her own driving school only a few weeks before lockdown, having given up her school job. As a new business, compensation was not available. It will probably be some time before she can start up again.