Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(59 Posts)
12Michael Thu 11-Jun-20 06:14:12

Good Morning Everyone ,
Its grey but dry here in Brackley this morning.
Hoping to get some laundry done today.
Will be a quiet day for otherwise .
Its surprising how quiet the mornings are , I did notice yesterday the only bank in the town has extended its opening hours Monday to Friday, especially u with local businesses getting back .
Take Care ,
Mick

brook2704 Thu 11-Jun-20 08:30:49

Good news Marydoll no doubt a tough time ahead but a positive future to look forward to ! ??❤️

Pantglas2 Thu 11-Jun-20 08:13:19

Just a quick good morning as I’ve just woken up after ten hours sleep ? and read Marydoll post - how marvellous that things are getting sorted for you! ?. We need you well at the Maths class missus!

Now for my chamberpot and a leisurely look at what the rest of you are up to ......☕️

Lins1066 Thu 11-Jun-20 08:11:37

Good Morning Mick and all from a dry and windy S Welsh Coast. Went for a walk yesterday late afternoon just before the rain, it rained heavily all evening and all night, good for the garden though.
Hope you managed to get a positive reaction from your friend's GP Grandmafrench, that poor woman needs help and support.
Our neighbour's funeral today, she died following a massive stroke. Sad that none of the neighbours can attend due to the restrictions.
Stay safe everyone.

Scentia Thu 11-Jun-20 08:11:29

Puzzler61
I was exaggerating for comedic effect, I don’t actually have ANY single friends!!? If I did, what made me think they would choose me as their ‘bubble’ companion!

Marydoll Thu 11-Jun-20 08:07:06

Good morning all from a very cool Glasgow. I have asked DH to put on the heating, it's rather cool this morning, but the sun is trying to get through.

I'm the bearer of good news, well for me anyway! ?
Yesterday morning, I received a phone call from my retired rheumatology consultant ( he is trying to cover for my Covid, seconded consultant), to say that he and the other consultants had a confab about me and have decided to get me into hospital, hopefully within the next fortnight, to commence my new treatment.
They are unsure how to manage it, as I'm shielding and visiting hospital has its own high risks, without even considering the risks of the treatment itself.

However, after somehow finding a free slot in the ward schedule and an empty side room I can come in. The ward sister will phone me to discuss dates.
It does have disadvantages, as it will compromise my immune system even more, which will consequently extend my shielding sentence even further. ☹️
DH is very anxious about it all, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and hopefully the treatment will give me a better quality of life.
I have waited twenty years for this, as the exorbitant cost, means health boards are reluctant to fund it.
Life is looking so much better at than it was at the beginning of the week.

My second part of good news is that, my photography malarkey with the Blue Badge has paid off! The judges must have been overwhelmed by my stunning portrait!?
Just two days after applying, yesterday, I received a text message saying my renewal had been approved ( no paperwork, phone call, nor face to face needed) and asking me to contact my local council to pay my £20 admin fee!

Urmston I'm living my cancelled holidays through you at the moment. I love to hear what you are doing and visualise it.
I can feel the sun on my face and taste the delicious tapas.
If it's not too much trouble, wink, I have a favour to ask. Once the markets open up, could you please make a trip to Los Boliches for me? I need a market fix! ?

I too have been thinking of Bluesapphire. I had received a few PMs from her, but I suspect she is struggling again, as she has been very quiet.
Hopefully the new ruling in England, will allow her to meet up with family.

For Cherry, who isn't doing too well just now, Bellasnana on this sad day, Gilly, Dragonfly and the many more reading this thread, who are struggling, virtually, safe distanced (((hugs))) for you.

I'm always afraid I offend someone, by missing them out, but I have brain fog at the moment, part of my RA , can hardly remember what I have read on the threads, by the time I get to the end.?
I even struggle with the questions, I set Miss Marydoll's maths class. ?. Now that is worrying!

Take care everyone.

grandMattie Thu 11-Jun-20 08:01:18

GG13, oh yes it’ll have been worth it. But the mess... although the painters are courteous, tidy, helpful, the house will still have been invaded and upside down for 6 weeks for major refurbishment and painting!

cornergran Thu 11-Jun-20 07:59:44

Morning Mick, morning All. Overcast start to our corner of Somerset. General faffing to do this morning then a walk if the rain stays away. Be gentle with yourselves everyone.

dragonfly46 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:59:13

Good morning from murky Leicestershire.

We went for a drive yesterday to boost the car battery to a local beauty spot. Missed stopping off for lunch on the way back though.

I daren’t have my cleaner in yet Kitty I am not sure how safe it is so still doing it myself. We do have the girl who does the garden though.

Bellasnana flowers

Kalu Thu 11-Jun-20 07:55:01

Good morning everyone from a drizzly, mix of grey and patches of blue skies with the sun trying to make an appearance now.

I have every intention of ticking off a couple of things on my to do list but of course no rush as I have all day to work up some enthusiasm to get going. I can’t seem to concentrate now and find myself going round in circles starting one thing, easily distracted when I notice something else needs attention. It’s exhausting.?

Hope everyone has a good day and those with struggles and worries feel some positive changes to their day.

Nannytopsy Thu 11-Jun-20 07:54:35

Good Morning Mick and all his followers. It’s raining again in Suffolk but should clear up this afternoon. I do hope so - there is only so much housework I want to do!
Woke at three and didn’t sleep again apart from an hour or so, when I had an awful dream. Nothing to do with Covid, just DD and SiL misbehaving!
It’s an exciting day today, with our click and collect and (slightly embarrassing) trip to the bottle bank blush.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Beechnut Thu 11-Jun-20 07:50:46

Good Morning everyone from Severnsid it’s dry and overcast.

I have some letters to write and then a walk to the mailbox. I have some chicken for lunch so I’ll see if I can conjure up something different with it.

By the chirps I can hear I will have to change the battery in the smoke alarm.

Best wishes to all and take care with worries and pains ?

NanKate Thu 11-Jun-20 07:50:30

Morning Mick Kitty and All.

Another grey wet day in prospect today in South Bucks

The highlight of my day is walking to the Optician’s knocking on the window and the receptionist, who I have known for years, she will pop some eye drops in my bag which I will leave in the porch. What excitement ?

Mollypussy Thu 11-Jun-20 07:45:44

I’m so sad as my only daughter desparete for me to help her with her 3 girls under 6 , but we both have hubby’s ,, we both work too , and madness as that would be our small bubble , they come into our conservatory not the main house as cannot expect the children to play in the rain , all go to school , key workers , I work , I’m about to give in soon as so miserable ☹️ Yet they can go to childminders , the zoo , shopping and see a nanny if she’s in her own ...

kittylester Thu 11-Jun-20 07:44:18

Morning all from a very grey North Leicestershire.

It's cleaner day today - yippee!! A chat on the phone with a friend and a Sainsbury's delivery- a busy day here!!

My hairdresser rang yesterday with the offer of an appointment on 30th July!! I took it but I'm still conflicted though my hair will very, very, lanky and limp by then!

Gelisajams Thu 11-Jun-20 07:35:15

Good morning from a damp Morecambe Bay. There is a tiny bit of blue in the sky which I’m hoping will get bigger as it’s gardening in the churchyard this morning. DH is out running so it’s another lazy start for me.
This afternoon we have a timed slot at National Trust Sizergh.
Another small step to normality. Hopefully it will stay fine.
The latest announcement means I could spend more time with DS3, my autistic son who lives alone. I am happy to see him of course, but as he’s been in work throughout lockdown in a fairly crowded warehouse and travels by tram, as he is unable to drive, I’m a bit reluctant to get too close! I hope he doesn’t get offended when I say I’m not ready to have him stay over between his shifts and prefer to just meet up for a walk outside and continue our nightly FaceTime contact.
Thinking of all who are sad, in pain and have other worries and problems ?. Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Puzzler61 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:35:06

NB. I was using older single people as a case in point, of course this new guideline will apply to younger, non shielding single people too.
Bellasnana it will be a day of melancholy thoughts when it would have been your DH’s birthday, but also wrap yourself in good memories too ?

brook2704 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:34:21

Good morning everyone from a cloudy Inverness, we had nothing but rain again yesterday so hoping for a better day today !
Despite the rain I had a lovely afternoon as I found a beautiful new garden that’s open to the public not that far from home. It really is a hidden gem and tucked away just behind Asda. Finding new loca, areas to visit is definitely one positive about lockdown that I would never normally have done !
Today I’m looking forward to meeting my friend for a walk in the local woods as we’re not sure it’s weather for sitting in the garden
I’m so pleased for those GNs on their own in England who can soon meet up in a little bubble - have fun everyone !
? for you today Bellasnana
Have a great day everyone and stay safe

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jun-20 07:31:47

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ? where it promises to be another gorgeous day with a forecast of 29°C.

I woke late, after sleeping poorly last night. Goodness knows why I just couldn’t ‘catch’ myself. I got back off around 4am and woke to find I was on my own. Himself is out on his walk and I didn’t hear a peep.

He will be shopping this morning at the SuperSol for the 3 of us. My neighbour friend passed me her list last night.

I have almost finished the novel ‘Killing Eve’ - my Kindle showed 18 minutes of reading left! My goodness, the sex scenes prior to one murder were pretty graphic! It’s a pacy read and it’s been a nice change of genre for me.

No plans today. We have decided to have beach days Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a while, until I feel confident about getting on public transport or in a taxi. This works well because Tuesday is LWW, Thursday is grocery day and I want to avoid the beach at the weekend because that’s when it’s busier.

Doubtless we shall go out for a walk. If we stop off somewhere it will be coffee or soft drinks again today - it’s too easy out here to be in ‘holiday mode’ and drink alcohol every day. I do love it though ....
?

I was saddened to hear of the trials your 85y old friend is having to endure Grandmafrench. Poor lady. One can only guess at how frightened and vulnerable she must feel.

Grammaretto you recommended a book that sounds insightful. I intend to buy it too for my Kindle, so thank you. Diana Athill wrote a couple of autobiographies in her early 90’s that gave an honest but positive slant to old age. She died a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 101y.

BlueSapphire if you are reading I hope you are alright. I shall p.m. you later today. You must be still having a tough time of things?

Hope Thursday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 11-Jun-20 07:27:02

Good morning from east London, cloudy and breezy out front, bit brighter out back in the garden. Maybe it’s the bits of hedge that DP has cut down to accommodate the shed. My usual Thursday, foodbank this morning then choir this evening. Hope you have a good day.

Pittcity Thu 11-Jun-20 07:23:21

Good morning from rainy Colchester.
Pottering indoors and Jay's pub quiz with our family online tonight.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:22:14

Good morning Mick and all x

Grey here in S E Essex, with a slight breeze.

Hope to get to the garden centre today, but who knows what the weather has in store.

Other than that no plans.

grandMattie we had men in for major works 20 months ago which meant that every room in the house had to be decorated I feel your frustration, but it will look lovely when it is all finished.

Marydoll hope you are feeling better, wishing all Goodmorningers poorly or with troubles a troublefree Thursday.

Keep safe and well folks ?

Bellasnana Thu 11-Jun-20 07:13:14

Good morning from Malta where it is another beautiful day.

Feeling a bit melancholy today as it would have been DH’s 75th birthday, so this is the fifth one without him.

DD3 is going to come with me to the cemetery. It will be an effort in this heat, but I haven’t been for a long time with the lockdown,

Puzzler, that happened to my car as well! It didn’t like being ignored for so long! I try to give it a run every so often so it doesn’t happen again.

Hope you all have the best day you can. ☀️?

Puzzler61 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:12:30

The problem of loneliness in older people living alone is well recognised and discussed. This is a measure that someone’s come up with to alleviate it - but only for the older, single person who isn’t shielding. It’s a start and I’m sure Boris will be given another idea to further loosen up on the restrictions to include mixed family bubbles quite soon.
Scentia you have a lot of friends ? you lucky lady!

Scentia Thu 11-Jun-20 07:01:24

Posted too soon!!
It won’t work of course, what if 10 different single friends choose me to visit, I will be busy?. Another good idea but how will it be policed?!!

Scentia Thu 11-Jun-20 06:54:46

Ginny42
The chosen friend doesn’t have to live alone, but you can only choose one household to visit (if that makes sense.)