Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(58 Posts)
12Michael Thu 11-Jun-20 06:14:12

Good Morning Everyone ,
Its grey but dry here in Brackley this morning.
Hoping to get some laundry done today.
Will be a quiet day for otherwise .
Its surprising how quiet the mornings are , I did notice yesterday the only bank in the town has extended its opening hours Monday to Friday, especially u with local businesses getting back .
Take Care ,
Mick

grandMattie Thu 11-Jun-20 06:30:09

Good morning from a dry grey E Kent.
Had a wonderful day yesterday. DD2 and his 16yo boy came to lunch. Normally taciturn and having eyes only for his 'phone, DGS was charm itself, chatty, informative and a joy to entertain. The only thing he didn’t do was eat us out of house and home. It was a real boost in these socially starved days.
The painters are now into the dining/kitchen area for the next next 7 working days. That means my study as well. All my entertainment is out of bounds for that time. No sewing, using pc, cooking, baking... I shall be very crabby by the end.
I hope you have sorted something out for your friend grandmafrench. marydoll, I trust your pain is tolerable, same for all sufferers, whether it is physical or mental.
All will be well - soon.
Stay well, stay safe.

mumofmadboys Thu 11-Jun-20 06:40:27

Good morning all. Has rained overnight but dry now in Cumbria. Just off on my daily bike ride. We are meeting friends later in the Eden Valley for a socially distanced walk and picnic. We haven't seen these friends since February so we are looking forward to a catch up. Have a good day everyone and thinking of those who are poorly or have worries.

Scentia Thu 11-Jun-20 06:40:59

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. Another grey day outside of my window this morning.
I went to the Range yesterday to look for a medicine cabinet, but felt very stressed as I felt I couldn’t just meander round and see what they had that would suffice. I don’t think shopping will be the same when the shops open on Monday. It is not possible to walk into TK Maxx actually knowing what you want! I suppose it will stop me and DD coming out of there saying I can’t believe that was nearly £200? Mmm.. will it ever be the same again?
Back in at the factory today then off to see DD later unless it is raining, as a cuppa in the garden is far from pleasant in the rain!!

Take care everyone and if you live alone in England and are not shielding, good news, as long as you actually have a bubble to join?

Puzzler61 Thu 11-Jun-20 06:42:52

Good morning Mick and All. Each day seems to be a bit more dismal weather -wise than the one before. I hope it turns back to sunny soon as it helps us all to keep our chins up.

Many shops to open soon Mick - you’ll soon be doing a full morning’s shopping trip, albeit carefully. Stay alert.

Yesterday my car didn’t want to start, it made a woeful noise when I turned the key. Problem is I’ve not taken it anyway further than a mile away from home lately and so now the battery is charged up again - by the kind man from Green Flag Homestart - I must take it for a longer drive every couple of days.
Wishing Marydoll, BlueSapphire, harrigran and grandmafrench a good day with less to trouble them than of late.
Look after yourselves grans and Mick ?

Ginny42 Thu 11-Jun-20 06:50:53

Good morning Mick and everyone. It's a grey morning in Cheshire and it's clearly rained in the night but dry now. The forecast isn't good for a few of days, but next week it's to be sunny and warm again.

I've kept busy over the last couple of days, but feeling a bit under the weather with waves of nausea and a friend said she'd heard of others complaining of the same. Goodness knows what that was, but it's gone.

I'm doing a short OU science course atm and learning a lot. Keeps the brain ticking over anyway. All experiments are deigned to be done at home with most things you probably have in the kitchen, but extracting the DNA from a kiwi will have to wait a bit!

Off walking at 9.00. That sets me up for the day. I almost didn't go yesterday feeling sorry for myself, but I felt so much better for making the effort. And hurray! The PM says I can now go and visit friends who live alone too.

Take good care everyone, especially if you're feeling unwell or having a wobble. flowers

Sar53 Thu 11-Jun-20 06:54:27

Good morning everyone from a dull, cold Essex by the sea.
I've been awake since before 5, decided to get up and finish my book.
No plans today, just like every other day really. We've started to look for a new car as DH is retiring soon and has to return his company car. We are talking about selling mine and just having one, not sure how that will work, but I don't use mine that much anymore.
Have a pleasant day everyone and stay safe xx

Ginny42 Thu 11-Jun-20 06:54:38

*designed to be done at home

Scentia Thu 11-Jun-20 06:54:46

Ginny42
The chosen friend doesn’t have to live alone, but you can only choose one household to visit (if that makes sense.)

Scentia Thu 11-Jun-20 07:01:24

Posted too soon!!
It won’t work of course, what if 10 different single friends choose me to visit, I will be busy?. Another good idea but how will it be policed?!!

Puzzler61 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:12:30

The problem of loneliness in older people living alone is well recognised and discussed. This is a measure that someone’s come up with to alleviate it - but only for the older, single person who isn’t shielding. It’s a start and I’m sure Boris will be given another idea to further loosen up on the restrictions to include mixed family bubbles quite soon.
Scentia you have a lot of friends ? you lucky lady!

Bellasnana Thu 11-Jun-20 07:13:14

Good morning from Malta where it is another beautiful day.

Feeling a bit melancholy today as it would have been DH’s 75th birthday, so this is the fifth one without him.

DD3 is going to come with me to the cemetery. It will be an effort in this heat, but I haven’t been for a long time with the lockdown,

Puzzler, that happened to my car as well! It didn’t like being ignored for so long! I try to give it a run every so often so it doesn’t happen again.

Hope you all have the best day you can. ☀️?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:22:14

Good morning Mick and all x

Grey here in S E Essex, with a slight breeze.

Hope to get to the garden centre today, but who knows what the weather has in store.

Other than that no plans.

grandMattie we had men in for major works 20 months ago which meant that every room in the house had to be decorated I feel your frustration, but it will look lovely when it is all finished.

Marydoll hope you are feeling better, wishing all Goodmorningers poorly or with troubles a troublefree Thursday.

Keep safe and well folks ?

Pittcity Thu 11-Jun-20 07:23:21

Good morning from rainy Colchester.
Pottering indoors and Jay's pub quiz with our family online tonight.

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 11-Jun-20 07:27:02

Good morning from east London, cloudy and breezy out front, bit brighter out back in the garden. Maybe it’s the bits of hedge that DP has cut down to accommodate the shed. My usual Thursday, foodbank this morning then choir this evening. Hope you have a good day.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jun-20 07:31:47

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ? where it promises to be another gorgeous day with a forecast of 29°C.

I woke late, after sleeping poorly last night. Goodness knows why I just couldn’t ‘catch’ myself. I got back off around 4am and woke to find I was on my own. Himself is out on his walk and I didn’t hear a peep.

He will be shopping this morning at the SuperSol for the 3 of us. My neighbour friend passed me her list last night.

I have almost finished the novel ‘Killing Eve’ - my Kindle showed 18 minutes of reading left! My goodness, the sex scenes prior to one murder were pretty graphic! It’s a pacy read and it’s been a nice change of genre for me.

No plans today. We have decided to have beach days Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a while, until I feel confident about getting on public transport or in a taxi. This works well because Tuesday is LWW, Thursday is grocery day and I want to avoid the beach at the weekend because that’s when it’s busier.

Doubtless we shall go out for a walk. If we stop off somewhere it will be coffee or soft drinks again today - it’s too easy out here to be in ‘holiday mode’ and drink alcohol every day. I do love it though ....
?

I was saddened to hear of the trials your 85y old friend is having to endure Grandmafrench. Poor lady. One can only guess at how frightened and vulnerable she must feel.

Grammaretto you recommended a book that sounds insightful. I intend to buy it too for my Kindle, so thank you. Diana Athill wrote a couple of autobiographies in her early 90’s that gave an honest but positive slant to old age. She died a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 101y.

BlueSapphire if you are reading I hope you are alright. I shall p.m. you later today. You must be still having a tough time of things?

Hope Thursday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

brook2704 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:34:21

Good morning everyone from a cloudy Inverness, we had nothing but rain again yesterday so hoping for a better day today !
Despite the rain I had a lovely afternoon as I found a beautiful new garden that’s open to the public not that far from home. It really is a hidden gem and tucked away just behind Asda. Finding new loca, areas to visit is definitely one positive about lockdown that I would never normally have done !
Today I’m looking forward to meeting my friend for a walk in the local woods as we’re not sure it’s weather for sitting in the garden
I’m so pleased for those GNs on their own in England who can soon meet up in a little bubble - have fun everyone !
? for you today Bellasnana
Have a great day everyone and stay safe

Puzzler61 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:35:06

NB. I was using older single people as a case in point, of course this new guideline will apply to younger, non shielding single people too.
Bellasnana it will be a day of melancholy thoughts when it would have been your DH’s birthday, but also wrap yourself in good memories too ?

Gelisajams Thu 11-Jun-20 07:35:15

Good morning from a damp Morecambe Bay. There is a tiny bit of blue in the sky which I’m hoping will get bigger as it’s gardening in the churchyard this morning. DH is out running so it’s another lazy start for me.
This afternoon we have a timed slot at National Trust Sizergh.
Another small step to normality. Hopefully it will stay fine.
The latest announcement means I could spend more time with DS3, my autistic son who lives alone. I am happy to see him of course, but as he’s been in work throughout lockdown in a fairly crowded warehouse and travels by tram, as he is unable to drive, I’m a bit reluctant to get too close! I hope he doesn’t get offended when I say I’m not ready to have him stay over between his shifts and prefer to just meet up for a walk outside and continue our nightly FaceTime contact.
Thinking of all who are sad, in pain and have other worries and problems ?. Take care and stay safe everyone ?

kittylester Thu 11-Jun-20 07:44:18

Morning all from a very grey North Leicestershire.

It's cleaner day today - yippee!! A chat on the phone with a friend and a Sainsbury's delivery- a busy day here!!

My hairdresser rang yesterday with the offer of an appointment on 30th July!! I took it but I'm still conflicted though my hair will very, very, lanky and limp by then!

Mollypussy Thu 11-Jun-20 07:45:44

I’m so sad as my only daughter desparete for me to help her with her 3 girls under 6 , but we both have hubby’s ,, we both work too , and madness as that would be our small bubble , they come into our conservatory not the main house as cannot expect the children to play in the rain , all go to school , key workers , I work , I’m about to give in soon as so miserable ☹️ Yet they can go to childminders , the zoo , shopping and see a nanny if she’s in her own ...

NanKate Thu 11-Jun-20 07:50:30

Morning Mick Kitty and All.

Another grey wet day in prospect today in South Bucks

The highlight of my day is walking to the Optician’s knocking on the window and the receptionist, who I have known for years, she will pop some eye drops in my bag which I will leave in the porch. What excitement ?

Beechnut Thu 11-Jun-20 07:50:46

Good Morning everyone from Severnsid it’s dry and overcast.

I have some letters to write and then a walk to the mailbox. I have some chicken for lunch so I’ll see if I can conjure up something different with it.

By the chirps I can hear I will have to change the battery in the smoke alarm.

Best wishes to all and take care with worries and pains ?

Nannytopsy Thu 11-Jun-20 07:54:35

Good Morning Mick and all his followers. It’s raining again in Suffolk but should clear up this afternoon. I do hope so - there is only so much housework I want to do!
Woke at three and didn’t sleep again apart from an hour or so, when I had an awful dream. Nothing to do with Covid, just DD and SiL misbehaving!
It’s an exciting day today, with our click and collect and (slightly embarrassing) trip to the bottle bank blush.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Kalu Thu 11-Jun-20 07:55:01

Good morning everyone from a drizzly, mix of grey and patches of blue skies with the sun trying to make an appearance now.

I have every intention of ticking off a couple of things on my to do list but of course no rush as I have all day to work up some enthusiasm to get going. I can’t seem to concentrate now and find myself going round in circles starting one thing, easily distracted when I notice something else needs attention. It’s exhausting.?

Hope everyone has a good day and those with struggles and worries feel some positive changes to their day.