Gransnet forums

Chat

Soops kitchen for caring and sharing...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 11-Jun-20 13:18:32

I am so very sorry. My computer has died on me. Am having to use MacS's and am in a bit of a pickle. Just wanted to open this new kitchen and try to catch up later.

Grandmafrench Sat 11-Jul-20 16:19:27

Hello Hello lovely folk. Good to hear from you Izabella. You're so funny thinking that keeping up to date on 'gender debate, wokism, signalling etc.' should matter in the slightest. I believe it does not, for the simple reason that, like buses, there will be so many more/ridiculous words along in a minute. And last week's words will be, well, so last week ! grin
Save your sharp moments and incisive thoughts for the things that really count. Robins, bless them - now they really count!

What a nice little family of baby Robins MacS has raised, soop. Aren't they lovely! Anyone who gardens will have known the pleasure of little chocolate button eyes in a fluffy little face sitting on the handle of a spade or the tines of a fork when one is slowly turning over the soil. They sit there with such excitement, watching just for a worm or a grub, ignoring the human closeness or other more immediate dangers. They are simply gorgeous, nature at its best.

Happy Birthday to your gorgeous and youngest DS. I can recall a strange experience, about 10 months after the birth of my Son. We were in a new house, my DH was working a night shift in the City and the baby had got into the habit of waking up most evenings and then refusing to go back to sleep. So, it was midnight, he was in a large Lobster pot playpen with a rusk clasped in his hand, while I stood in the sitting room window (no curtains) and painted the frames. Such a lovely domestic scene at completely the wrong end of the day!!!!

There was a lot of birdsong. It was so late, how was that possible.... perhaps the bird was as mad as the family inside. I looked through the window and on the hedge immediately outside and in the light, I counted 10 Robins. I thought they were mainly solitary birds, what on earth could have brought them there in such numbers and at the dead of night? It looked like an aviary. I know if someone had told me the story, I would have thought it a joke, but I've never forgotten it.

Hot and blowy today. Have been making more masks this afternoon. Not overly impressed that the R number has been increasing in lots of countries, France and the UK included. I do go out now quite happily and keep away from people, I also have friends in my garden but not in the house. Not sure if we are going to get back to a completely relaxed life any time soon.

Susan I may have already said this on the Good Morning thread but hope your poor DH is getting over his fall. Don't let him fob you off with "it's o.k." if you feel it's not, although it must be hoped that it will be all bruising and nothing else.

Cherry you sound your usual chipper self. Hope you are having some peace from those %^&*(£@ episodes and managing to get out and about if the weather is kind. Take care.

NannyTopsy nice stormy photo. Will you be reading the weather report on the telly any time soon? grin

Have a happy end to the day and relax and enjoy it all.
Please don't forget to keep safe and take care.
Hugs x

annodomini Sat 11-Jul-20 16:54:16

Izabella, I love your robin. I presume he's a daddy collecting food for the kids!
I woke up this morning to the sound of ladders being propped up against the back wall of the house and was slightly puzzled because the windows were cleaned last week. It was the window cleaner, but he had promised to fix a roof tile and this was the day. I had to scramble into some clothes and ensure that everything was OK.
It's a 'nothing' sort of day weather-wise though a friend who lives no more than five miles away says it's lovely and sunny there. I had some sunflower seedlings doing nicely in a pot but now the slugs have been at them and eaten the biggest and most promising one. *** slugs! They get everywhere. Why don't they eat weeds?

soop Sat 11-Jul-20 17:04:25

anno A buggeration of slugs! hmm

Grandmafrench Another highly amusing post from French France. It will be first-born son's 59th birthday tomorrow. He took his time coming into the world. Midwife exclaimed...what a tall baby! He is indeed tall. Lovely with it.

I have been watching yet more exciting tennis matches from yonks ago. It's high time that I did something useful. Suggestions on a postage stamp. wink

You are all in my thoughts. Especially morethan and her dear family.

Until we meet again, a virtual hug from a grey-some Kintyre. smile moon

Susan56 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:18:16

Thank you Grandmafrench.He seems ok,I think he had a lucky escape and is just left with bruising.He tripped coming out of the garage into the house.He fell like a goalkeeper saving a goal?

Love the robin pictures and tales.Robins are my DH’s favourite birds and were my dads.I always remember my dad when a robin pays us a visit.

Take care all and stay safe.

MawB Sat 11-Jul-20 17:47:50

My profound sympathies to * Mr Susan* we all know these things are not funny and the after effects(not just the bruising) can take time. Alcohol also helps.
I still have bruises and sore knees from nose diving all of 4 weeks ago, but it is my confidence and amour propre which took the worst bash.
I have had a worrying day, if I may share, as Hattie has been off colour. She weed on the doormat in the night - absolutely unheard of as she has a cast iron bladder and can go for 12 hours unlike her Mum. When I got up she was panting and seemed very “old” and tentative coming down stairs. Ignored her breakfast so I thought maybe a gentle walk might cheer her up and also allow me to get a specimen in a little pot to see if her wee was dark.
No chance of the latter and I dithered about calling up the vet as they close at 12 on a Saturday and anyway, appointments are very hard to get. So I hung on, just fretting. A dog owning friend was very helpful and reassuring and encouraged me to try squirting water into Hattie’s mouth from a syringe as she wasn’t drinking either. I also found an unopened bottle of Metacam (Nurofen for dogs) and thought that if she had a temperature it might bring it down. More water squirting (poor dog, like water boarding!) and then just an hour ago she seemed to stop panting and actually ate some cut up sausage with some (vegans look away) “jus” from her dog food.
She is sleeping much more peacefully now, no longer panting and looks quite comfortable.
Clearly I missed the vets and I will be keeping a close eye on her tomorrow, but I have done nothing all day except watch her and fret!
I feel washed out!
Sending love to all, positive vibes where applicable and especially to dear Morethan

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-Jul-20 18:23:42

MawB poor Hattie- the weekend is not the time to feel off colour. I can understand how you feel and Hattie will appreciate mums' help by being close to her. I do hope the pair of you get some sleep tonight. I wonder if she has a UTI?

All I have done all day is washing x3 but at least it is now dry. Where does it all come from?

Moaning Minnie will be home fairly soon for food and cuddles.
TOYA

Susan56 Sat 11-Jul-20 18:25:29

Thank you Maw.

What a worry.I hope poor Hattie is over whatever had caused her to be unwell and a good rest is all she needs now to complete her recovery.

Puzzler61 Sat 11-Jul-20 19:00:10

I think I’d get poor Hattie checked over by the vet as soon as possible Maw. You can’t be doing with her relieving herself all over the place.
Our cat does it when she has a water infection - she’s had many. It’s like a feline cystitis and is easily sorted with a pill a day crushed into her food..
I’m not saying that is the cause of Hattie’s accident, I’m not a vet, but it could be an explanation of what has occurred.

Glad she seems a little more relaxed now (and you too). ?

Grandmafrench Sat 11-Jul-20 21:40:35

It's easy to get in quite a state when our pets are ill, isn't it? The stress and worry is absolutely exhausting. And why do they always manage to have a crisis on a Saturday? We've had a similar session recently. Sounds like a UTI doesn't it....unless you have an old dog. Not nice though, and of course you'll need to keep an eye on her for a while. Maybe her tentative behaviour was because she was quite upset at wetting indoors and couldn't believe what she'd done as she was walking towards it! Hope so and hope very much that she is lots better by tomorrow. You must have been so relieved when she ate the sausage! At least she's getting the best care and has you to fuss over her.

You are funny, Charleygirl - you now sound like me with the Moaning Minnie remark. One of our cats is so sweet but very vocal. She's mostly having a conversation but it does tend to sound like complaints! If I happen to pass and say "oh what's up now with Moaning Minnie?" my DH will often speak for the cat and say "Miss Moaning Minnie, if you don't mind!"

What a comical thing to say about a new born, soop....that "he's tall". grin. I had a midwife like that - full of bon mots !

Susan your DH will be able to show off his war wounds to Miss Matilda very soon, I expect. If she's interested, she could perhaps be encouraged to play Nursey and trot about plumping his cushions and bringing him drinks and nice things to eat. If he plays his cards right, he may get some R & R for a little while - at least until he's not feeling so battered and bruised. Hope you have some sunshine and sitting in the garden with feet up weather for family time this weekend.

I'm off now just to peep through the windows of The Argy Bar before bed. It's hard to believe what scenes of high jinks and wild abandon take place there, when most of us "respectables" are away to their beds. We're going to need a frank discussion on here about tonic wines, vitamin pills and energy levels fairly soon, I think. You know who you are!! The rest of us would definitely like to share the secrets, grin

Night all. Sleep well and pleasant dreams.

Nannytopsy Sat 11-Jul-20 22:32:23

Maw what a worry for you! We have the Granddog for another week, who constantly worries me! She is definitely getting older - about 12 now. She sleeps much more and doesn’t pull on the lead now. She always did spend most of her walks sniffing at things. I was surprised to find her head on my pillow when I woke up! ?

MawB Sat 11-Jul-20 22:32:57

Hattie is only 4 Grandmafrench - older Kitcheners will remember my previous hound, the lovely Gracie, sweeter than whom I could not have imagined, but Hattie is the gentlest, most affectionate dog ever (when she is awake that is- Charleygirl will attest to the frequency with which she “rests her eyes” ! )

Grandmafrench Sat 11-Jul-20 22:45:16

How wonderful, all dogs should stay aged 4. They grow up and older far too quickly. I should hope that there will be no serious concerns over her health, it's just not good when they behave in a different way. Does Hattie appear in any photos? Just curious as I love dogs (and cats).

Charleygirl5 Sun 12-Jul-20 09:24:01

soop are you sure you have not made a mistake with your son's age? Are you sure he is not 39 because you are not old enough to have a son 20 years older?

Grandmafrench I could not look after a dog properly but if I was considering dog-napping it would be Hattie. She appears to be the most gentle young lady around and she needs to rest her eyes which she does frequently. I have seen photos of her with her eyes open and Hattie upright but they have been few and far between, the eyes are normally firmly closed with her lying on a very comfortable sofa.

Tara is really only vocal from the minute I wake up and actually get downstairs to open the door for her. Otherwise, she is very sweet, loving and quiet.

The weather here is gorgeous- definitely washing to go out. I must trim a huge bush at my front door before it moves inside. Not being a gardener I have no idea what it is but it is very fast growing.
TOYA

Carillion01 Sun 12-Jul-20 09:27:51

Good morning dear kitchen,
It’s another beautiful day in Brittany.

I have been absent for a while but nonetheless have tried to follow everyone’s daily journey. This is still a lovely, almost serene place.

Dear soop I’m so glad you came home safely from your trip to the mainland.
I see there’s no news from morethan but continue to think about and pray for that dear girl and the whole family.

Today will be (chicken and ham in white sauce) pie. Fabrice, our neighbour gave us a sack full of kale so will try to do something with it??!

I am determined today to return to the kitchen and not just indulge myself in the glorious Argy.

A bientot xxxx

annodomini Sun 12-Jul-20 10:07:31

Happy Birthday to Ann60. Hoping you have a lovely day today, Ann, end enjoyed your evening out last night. And best wishes for a year when you at last get your longed-for surgery and freedom from pain. ❤️ [cake] wine

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Jul-20 10:27:47

Happy Birthday Annsixty ???

I have been an infrequent visitor to the kitchen lately, I do have a sneaky peek through the window.

Sending virtual (((((hugs))))) to morethan and her family.

annsixty Sun 12-Jul-20 10:40:33

Good morning all and many thanks to you both.
I had a lovely evening thank you, a really good natter with my friend and an even better glass, or three, of a delicious red.

My GD came across the road to bring me home at 10:30pm.
First time out or on someone’s home for at least 16 weeks, I felt like a child let out.

Lovely cards and presents this morning, I feel truly blessed.
Trying not to think of who isn’t here.

Susan56 Sun 12-Jul-20 10:55:25

Happy birthday Ann?????

Doodle Sun 12-Jul-20 11:49:53

Many many happy returns ann. Hope you have a lovely day ?????

Charleygirl5 Sun 12-Jul-20 11:56:21

Happy birthday Ann and I hope you slept well after your lovely meal out and the odd glass or two. As we all know, Altzeimers respects nobody. At least H is in a better place.

NanaandGrampy Sun 12-Jul-20 12:23:15

Afternoon all !

Just a pop in from me to wish Ann a brilliant birthday ! It sounds like you are being treated royally and just as you deserve !!

I can totally understand your worry about Hatty Maw . I think Id advocate watching her and if she's eating and toileting as usual I think maybe it was just a blip. I know if Sam is off his food he's ill , so I think you're right to have some concerns.

I love robins too Izabella , beautiful picture. Its all about the hares here as I'm still not going anywhere its only what I can see from the garden.

Sending best wishes to one and all xx

Carillion01 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:48:57

Happy birthday ann, have a lovely day. Xx????

Carillion01 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:55:59

GG13 and NanaandGrampy, have missed you posting, hope all is well. Xx

Puzzler61 Sun 12-Jul-20 13:51:11

Happy Birthday to You ann60 ? ? ?

Thinking of morethan and her family ?

We took a drive and an early morning walk by the river at Stratford today (Warks). The place was just waking up, boat-dwellers were taking time to drink coffee and have breakfast up on deck in sunshine, dozens of swans and ducks were serenely floating by waiting to be offered bits of bread.

We bought ice creams with chocolate flakes in and strawberry fruit sauce drizzled over them, as we wandered.
I was very conscious not to sit down on benches as we usually would, we avoided people and made big circles to walk round groups who were setting out their folding chairs and blankets to sit on the grass.
A musician was playing Spanish flavoured guitar tunes, and a Big Wheel was taking on passengers.
It really was as close to an ordinary Summer’s day as possible in these strange times. For a couple of hours it was possible to forget about this dreadful pandemic.

Puzzler61 Sun 12-Jul-20 13:53:51

Swans near a boat today

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion