Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(54 Posts)
12Michael Sat 13-Jun-20 06:18:46

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a grey but dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Yesterday, I figured out how to get a replacement toilet seat , working , following the instructions was misleading as I was required to remove part of the main in order to fit it , solved it .Today , maybe put it together , but I will also do a bus trip as I am one of the many who rely on public transport which the present dictators seem to want people to use .
Anyway , more on my little escape tomorrow .
Take Care ,
Mick

Gelisajams Sat 13-Jun-20 08:10:05

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it is currently dry and DH is out out running leaving me in bed.
Arrived to visit DS2 yesterday and instead of it brightening up the rain became torrential and the wind got up. We tried walking but after 10 minutes we gave up, turned round and we gave DS 2 his picnic bag to eat at home and got back in our little camper van and came back home. It left me feeling close to tears! A real wobble for the rest of the day. I just pray we don’t get a second wave and some degree of normality can return.
Must get back to being positive today. Dwelling on the what ifs isn’t good!
I did get a bit of good news though late last night. An email from Hermes suggests the trainers I succumbed to buying from a FaceBook advert are now in this country. When I ordered them I thought they were a small uk company. Very clever advertising. It has been interesting to track their train journey along the silk route from China for the last 42 days. Take care and stay safe all.?

Brunette10 Sat 13-Jun-20 08:15:13

Morning from a foggy Fife. It's just miserable here today in more ways than one. I have hurt my back moving pieces of furniture so in agony. Not sure whether rest or moving about as normal is the best. Don't usually suffer form things like this but it's very sore. GrandMattie you will be over the moon. I know everyone has problems one way or another but look after yourselves, things will get better. Keep your chin up.

Kalu Sat 13-Jun-20 08:35:22

Oh, your poor girl Puzzler. I’m sure it was such a relief for you when told the tumour was benign. Hope she makes a speedy recovery which no doubt involves some extra spoiling as one of her status is expects?

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 13-Jun-20 08:41:21

Good morning from east London, sun is shining with a bit of a breeze. It was like this yesterday on our way to Southend but the nearer we got, the greyer the sky got and with the rain in the afternoon, the only walk I had was to collect the takeaway from the chip shop. DP managed to take a load of stuff from the house to the tip; only one person allowed to unload so no point me going as well.. (I have just removed myself from the tennis social WhatsApp group as for the second time a Katy Hopkins video has been posted; after the first one I asked if we could leave politics out of the group and people agreed with me but obviously not enough.) That has affected my mood so definitely a long walk today, experiment with some food for dinner. Hope you have a good day.

harrigran Sat 13-Jun-20 08:42:22

Good morning from the NE where we have fog and torrential rain.
We have a delivery today from Cote at home, meals for several days. Compensation for not being able to dine out.
DD has had a busy few days with her aunt and we have a funeral date, 26th June. DD will return home to Belgium tomorrow and return to Germany on 25th.
Weather forecast is horrible I will be staying put today.

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 13-Jun-20 08:44:35

Forgot to add Gelis, my bargain trainers that I didn’t realise were coming from China took about 3 months and materialised as a fake pair of Rayban sunglasses. In the meantime, I’d reclaimed the money off the credit card. Hope you have a better outturn

Anniebach Sat 13-Jun-20 08:55:38

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Lins1066 Sat 13-Jun-20 08:55:43

Good Morning Mick and all. Dry and brightish here on the S Welsh coast, nice drop of rain last evening though.
An exciting day for you grandMattie, I used to follow our children's flights using a planetracker and note down all the wonderful places, it's a thing with us. The last flight was from the US, goodness knows when and where the next one will be.
DS visiting later and will drop off some food from M&S for us, hope it stays dry for a chat in the garden.
Wishing you well BlueSapphire ?
Stay safe everyone.

farview Sat 13-Jun-20 08:59:22

Good morning from Lancashire.looks like a day with 'hope' weatherwise! Didn't sleep too well..nevertheless will try to enjoy the day...received a parcel from my daughter in the Emirates...a book..absolutely beautiful.."The boy,the mole, the fox and the horse"...I hadn't heard of it..my daughter had picked up on my bit of a low mood and the book,truly, has helped.
Wishing everyone on GN happiness and peace of mind ?

Megs36 Sat 13-Jun-20 09:04:44

marydoll
Sympathy to your daughter re wedding plans, as I’ve mentioned before we had two grandchildren’s weddings planned this year, first should have been last week now July 2021, the other should be September now postponed till August 2022 , only hope we will be fit enough to take part. Such a lot of planning in both of them and such disappointment.

mrswoo Sat 13-Jun-20 09:09:49

Good morning from Newcastle where it is pouring with rain, cold, grey and utterly cheerless. I think it's a day for staying in and catching up on a bit of reading. DH went out for a bike ride at about 6 this .morning but had to cut it short due to the rain and came home dripping wet.

Grandmattie you must be thrilled at having your son home. How exciting for you.
My son and my two DGS are in Scotland so we can't meet up yet. I always enjoy your posts from Inverness brook which is where he lives so weather wise I know what sort of day they have in store. He's a lone parent and so tired of lockdown now.

Enjoy the sunshine everyone lucky enough to have some and I hope everyone everywhere has the best day possible.

Marydoll Sat 13-Jun-20 09:10:01

Thanks Megs.

It was such a disappointment after the March cancellation, but she and he fiancé just want to be married.
I really didn't think the very intimate June wedding would happen and I was getting quite anxious about how we could do this, with me shielding.
However, she needed to have some hope, as she has become very low. ?

I hope you are managing to get out for some exercise now restrictions in England have eased a bit, Megs.

Puzzler61 Sat 13-Jun-20 09:11:40

A lovely thoughtful gift from your daughter farview, find a cosy curl to curl up and lose yourself in it. Books are such a wonderful form of escapism ? ☕️ ?

Puzzler61 Sat 13-Jun-20 09:13:00

*chair, not curl!

mrswoo Sat 13-Jun-20 09:13:38

farview I've just sent the Boy,the mole, the fox and the horse to my son for him and his boys. It's a beautiful book and just right for these times.

Grandmafrench Sat 13-Jun-20 09:21:13

Good Morning everyone from a dull, warm and still ??? - so the weather is a bit like myself this morning, then !

Looking on the positive side, I shall be able to catch up on lots of things which are sometimes difficult when it’s hot. Positive for the house and positive for my mood.

So sorry about your back problem Brunette. Why not see how you are once/if you can get moving comfortably? If not, do a little check to locate a possible hot spot, put an ice pack or a bag of peas in a tea towel on that spot and lie on that for 20 minutes or so. Then award yourself a weekend off. Seriously, if you listen to your body and rest and use some ice and/or analgesics, you may find all better in 48 hours or so.

Pleased at some positive news from The Lakes, Ellan. Don’t we worry about our families. I sincerely hope that your little girl gets lots of benefit from her trip and the family benefit when she returns.

MaryDoll Golf is very tiring - hope warm slippers and an easy chair were waiting for the homecoming ?. Hope your wobble has passed now Urms, and with the sun out and your fuschia footwear ready and waiting, you’ll keep the glooms at bay until your freedom is 100% again.

Beyond thrilled for you to know that your boy will be UK based again so very soon GrandMattie. Wonderful day for you and your DH.

Haven’t yet spotted anyone who spent half the night awake last night. Hope that lasts. I slept well, not least because an ? named ginny did something so selfless yesterday to help a stranger/my friend in the UK . Have the best day. ?.

Today I shall recover part of a prescription (which I forgot ) from our Pharmacy; go for a walk; bake a Chocolate Amaretto Cake - the absolute best/we need a treat; and plan to start painting the bathroom. DH paints/I point - except for the fiddly bits, like a cabinet, a towel rail and the dreaded cutting in. It’ll look great when it’s finished.

Have the best time you can today, GoodMorningers. No wobbles or tears - resolve to make the day count. Keep going, BlueSapphire, you’ll definitely get there and your struggles will hopefully soon be just a memory.

See you tomorrow. Hugs to all x

farview Sat 13-Jun-20 09:21:21

mrswoo..yes its perfect for these times..should be on prescription ?

Grammaretto Sat 13-Jun-20 09:32:34

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where there is thick fog (the Haar?) . Cold and wet outdoors. Humid indoors.

No let up on lockdown restrictions for us in Scotland and especially those of us shielding.

Sorry about your back pain Brunette Icepack for 10 minutes, painkillers and lying flat.

GrandMattie - what excitement for you.

Sorry about DD's thwarted wedding plans MaryDoll I really am.
The wedding in our extended family which was to be in July has now been put off until August 2021.

Our family quiz tonight is going to be missing the Danish contingent as they have guests for dinner. Remember those days?!

DGD in year 6 starts school on Monday in England. She is getting excited. She's to be in a bubble of 15 and it's a 4 day week so really only days until the summer holidays.

Have as good a day as possible everyone.

gillybob Sat 13-Jun-20 09:35:54

Good morning from the NE coast where we have yet another miserable day of grey skies and heavy rain . Its so cold and dark and feels more like November than June .

I shampooed my stair carpets yesterday and they’ve come up like new ......decided to shampoo the rug in the downstairs room too and whilst it’s come up lovely and clean it stinks like a wet dog. Can’t put it outside to air as it’s lashing down. Any ideas ?

Haven’t caught up with the thread yet as I’ve been chatting to my son since first thing who has been awake most of the night worrying about the future . Why can’t I just win the lottery ?

Hoping to see some much needed sunshine soon .

Have the best Saturday possible everyone.

Love Gillybob x

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jun-20 09:51:37

Good Morning All x
Not sure what the weather's wanting to do really. I do have the feeling that there's a storm in the air, it's so still, mild and yet trying its best to brighten up. Not that it matters as I won't be going anywhere.

Thought I might be paying a visit to see GGC, but my D won't allow it as two of them have been attending school sad
Because I've been cocooned for weeks on end without contact she didn't think it wise until " the coast's clear ".

Puzzler, that painting is a beauty and one that I could happily gaze at all day. It's lovely and I do love a nice painting.

The smell of the stocks are all through the place, they're a delight. M&S at its best, thanks to my D !

How lovely to see family from abroad GrandMattie. Your excitement is evident. I remember the feeling this time last year when mine came to visit from Oz. Can't believe it's a year ago though and am glad it's not this year with what's going on.

Oh, here's the sun grin That's brightened things up.
Glad you've got over your mega-wobble Urmston and enjoying the back to normal weather. I can pretend I'm there with this balmy interlude here at the moment.

Speaking of reading I've bid for a bundle of books online and one which is particularly interesting about a doctor who I knew in the past. She was quite a controversial person in her beliefs and wasn't averse to being made to appear in a courtroom now and again because of her beliefs.

Whether or not to risk a bit of washing I'm not sure, the atmosphere would dry it even if not sunny. I'll see----it gets me moving smile Usual crumpets for breakfast then a salmon salad for later

Just had a parcel delivered by the most pleasant chap and it's set me up for the day. How lovely to see such a happy smiling face. Pure delight from Royal Mail----even though I gave my hands a good Carex wash afterwards smile

I really must move myself now and start some washing while the going's good. Thoughts to everyone including absent friends ( BlueSapphire x ) To everyone else, stay safe and well xx Enjoy the day as best you can.

31st July, Marydoll ? x

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jun-20 10:04:17

Grandmafrench, yes, my spirits were lifted when I learned about the child's improvement. Perhaps the psychiatrists/psychologists might now get to the bottom of why she appears to be in her own little world, completely oblivious of any danger.
Many thanks for your kind thoughts. x Which also go to everyone else too as this " openness " is good for the soul instead of harbouring sadness and worry it's a relief in itself to be able to speak out.

I thank you all xx

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jun-20 10:05:15

Febreeze, Gillybob ? For the rug.

grandMattie Sat 13-Jun-20 10:06:46

“The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse” Is one of the most charming, funny, uplifting easy read I’ve had in a long time. The pictures remind me of EH Shepherd in Winnie the Pooh.
Do get hold of a copy if you’d feeling low. Enjoy it to the full, farview and then dip in, enjoying the illustrations etc.

Nannytopsy Sat 13-Jun-20 10:07:58

Good morning Mick and all who followed.
It’s a beautiful morning in Suffolk and there are two loads of washing waiting to be pegged out. For a dry part of the country it hasn’t half rained! It’s almost filled the water butt.
The area where we plan the next flowerbed has lots of bindweed so I think a dose of weedkiller is the first step today.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Grandmafrench Sat 13-Jun-20 10:09:59

It’s like Winnie the Pooh for Lockdown....and the future, GrandMattie. Really charming and a read for all ages.