Gransnet forums

Chat

2M ruling could be relaxed

(82 Posts)
12Michael Sun 14-Jun-20 07:34:47

Looking on the BBC news webpage as well as the red button on TV .
PM Boris is under pressure to relax the ruling , but he is commissioning a survey first, and pressure from back benchers .
Mick

MayBee70 Mon 15-Jun-20 18:39:11

A one metre rule would pretty much mean no social distancing at all as most people tend to be 2 /3 feet away from other people. The government are desperate to find a reason to reduce it: it’s a foregone conclusion and probably the reason why the scientific advisors no longer seem to attend the daily briefing.

12Michael Mon 15-Jun-20 15:06:38

No 10 says a review into the 2m social distancing rule will be completed "in the coming weeks".

However the PM's spokesman could not say if it would be done by the time hospitality venues in England are due to reopen on 4 July.

The government has come under pressure from the hospitality industry and its own MPs to relax the 2m rule.

The spokesman said the government was in talks with hospitality but there was a duty to ensure reopening was "safe".

The announcement comes as some shops in England reopen for the first time since the lockdown was introduced, with long queues reported outside Primark shops in London and Birmingham.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Jun-20 12:38:45

You can only take the mask off at your table when eating or drinking. I assume that you wear a mask when placing your order etc. I still don’t see how restaurants and pubs can ever be made safe when indoors, though: there’s no way that I’d go into either of them, especially as they’re places that you’d spend a long time in, thereby increasing the viral load.I don’t understand why people in this country constantly questions the wearing of masks and look for reasons not to wear one. All countries that use masks are doing far better at controlling the virus. If we don’t embrace mask wearing, social distancing, testing, tracing isolating etc we’ll still have this virus long after other countries have eliminated it. I just saw a news report from a York and hardly anyone shopping seemed to be wearing masks.

Happiyogi Mon 15-Jun-20 11:32:46

How do masks offer protection to drinkers or diners in a pub or restaurant setting?

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jun-20 09:45:21

Do what you yourself feel right with, taking into consideration age and health. It's a question of using common sense really.

Callistemon Mon 15-Jun-20 09:40:09

BlueSky

Masks, masks, masks! That's how they manage abroad with the 1m rule!

?

BlueSky Mon 15-Jun-20 09:28:27

Masks, masks, masks! That's how they manage abroad with the 1m rule!

JenniferEccles Mon 15-Jun-20 09:17:11

I don’t understand the point you are trying to make regarding the one or two metre distancing rules Sawsage
Would
It is a fact that the virus is transmitted less easily when we remain two metres apart, yet if that distance remains it will be extremely difficult for the hospitality industry to survive with the inevitable reduction in the numbers of customers.

It all comes back to the point of a very difficult balancing act doesn’t it?

If we stay in a fairly strict lockdown it’s estimated that millions will lose their jobs.

On balance I think Boris is right in considering lowering to one metre, but I can understand people’s concerns.

Furret Mon 15-Jun-20 07:02:11

sawsage

The WHO begs to differ with you distance does matter,

“England’s coronavirus lockdown should not be further lifted until the government’s contact-tracing system has proven to be “robust and effective”, the World Health Organization has said after widespread criticism of the first results of the new tracking operation.

As shops across England prepared to reopen, and people were encouraged by the government to come out of their homes and on to the high street, Dr Hans Kluge, the WHO’s director for Europe, cautioned that the UK remained in a “very active phase of the pandemic”.

His remarks came as ministers confirmed a review of the 2-metre distancing rule, with the government coming under pressure from business leaders, Tory backbenchers and rightwing media to further ease the lockdown.”

Furret Mon 15-Jun-20 06:59:04

MayBee according to that loser (failed leader but seems to forget that and the leading light behind the shambles that is Universal Credit) Ian Duncan Smith The Economy is more important.

What this ‘world beating‘ (to draw on Boris Speak) idiot fails to grasp is that if there is a second peak then everything will have to shut down again and that is not going to help recovery.

We have saying like ‘make haste slowly’ and ‘fools rush in’ for good reason.

MayBee70 Sun 14-Jun-20 23:30:06

Sawsage: can you explain to me what is actually more important than stopping the virus from spreading ?

Frosty60 Sun 14-Jun-20 23:26:06

It’s time he eased the lockdown for all grandparents so desperate to see their grandchildren

Frosty60 Sun 14-Jun-20 23:24:06

SpecialK57

How crazy is it that if my dad aged 95 and living alone now chose to bubble up with my daughter who has children aged 5, 3 and 1 she could legally let them cuddle him and stay overnight with him but because my husband (62) and I (63) live together, the children cannot even enter our house unless they are walking through to the garden or going to the toilet and cuddles are strictly off the agenda

SpecialK57: I understand where you are coming from. It’s irritating me, the fact that my sons partners mum is 74 been self isolating because of health issues, but it’s ok for her to form a bubble. Where as because I’m married (my sons stepdad), and we are only 62, not self isolated but I can’t give my granddaughters cuddles. Also because we adopted a 9 year old boy who we fostered from birth my sons partner made it clear we weren’t allowed to see the girls in the garden because it made 7. But given the girls ages of 1 and 3 I didn’t want to have to say to them we can’t give you hugs and kisses so keep your distance. We’ve been to there’s and seen them through the window a couple of times, but before lockdown we saw them every week and the younger one I also had for over night sleeps in the week due to mums shifts.
I get annoyed though when people aren’t following guidelines.

Sawsage2 Sun 14-Jun-20 21:38:53

1 M or 2 M, doesn't make any difference. Why are they even talking about it. They should concentrate on what's important not small stupid things.

Lucca Sun 14-Jun-20 21:00:40

“Children are not going back to School before September due to the actions of the Trade Unions & LAs who will do anything to disrupt the actions of the Government. “

Of course. Nothing to do with risk of infection, impossibility of running schools with social distancing.

Feel free to stay behind that sofa

Lucca Sun 14-Jun-20 20:58:23

“All those people critisising, I'd like you to have done better because I wouldn't have liked to make any of the decisions”

We did not opt to be politicians

4allweknow Sun 14-Jun-20 20:56:06

The economy is important but if we don't tread carefully we will be in an even worse economic state if there is a further outbreak. The UK acted too slowly in stopping people entering the country. Should have been a ban on movement immediately. Just read today that close proximity is not as great a risk as touching people and surfaces. A mask would help reduce droplet transmission and a hug wearing a mask has much less risk than a handshake or touching face and surfaces. What are we to believe? It's a minefield.

Legs55 Sun 14-Jun-20 20:53:14

I have observed many elderly people ignoring the markings in supermarkets particularly inside the shop. Teens/20s seem to think they're immune hence the large gatherings. Within each generations there are "ignorant" stupid people who are ignoring the distancing & advice on gatherings/bubble etc.

From Monday 15th June it is compulsary to wear a "face covering" on all Public Transport & in situations where it is impossible to observe the 2m distancing.

Children are not going back to School before September due to the actions of the Trade Unions & LAs who will do anything to disrupt the actions of the Government. Whether you like Boris/Government whatever they do they are "damned if they do & damned if they don't" . All those people critisising, I'd like you to have done better because I wouldn't have liked to make any of the decisions.

Right I'll collect my tin hat & flak jacket, off to hide behind the sofahmm

Patsy429 Sun 14-Jun-20 20:21:02

In Denmark all children returned to school after 5 weeks of lockdown. No upward surge or spike of Covid.

jerseygirl Sun 14-Jun-20 20:11:18

I am now totally confused!!!

Lucca Sun 14-Jun-20 19:52:17

As I speak...obviously should be as I write.

Lucca Sun 14-Jun-20 19:51:45

Wearing masks “advised “ is no good at all. Some things really have to be made compulsory.
As I speak the professional family opposite has three families gathered. Kids now indoors watching tv. Parents outside maximum distance between adults being about 2 feet.

Shops that are complying with social distancing rules....sure that will work !! I’ve seen in shops where people just wander around wherever they like, specially older people it has to be said.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:28:52

TBH it seems to have been coming down very nicely until the beginning of May and it has been level ever since at a minimum of 0.5%.

Why isnt it decreasing?

12Michael Sun 14-Jun-20 18:18:01

I agree what has been said as to the population , the percentage is a low figure when you take things in , but with these riots and raves allot of the younger generation have yet to feel the virus as its like a biological warfare situation even Donald Trump is not safe .
Mick

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:11:40

Scientists

Too early to lessen the 2 meter distance.