Gransnet forums

Chat

2M ruling could be relaxed

(81 Posts)
12Michael Sun 14-Jun-20 07:34:47

Looking on the BBC news webpage as well as the red button on TV .
PM Boris is under pressure to relax the ruling , but he is commissioning a survey first, and pressure from back benchers .
Mick

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jun-20 07:36:47

Sensible. In line with many other countries I think Mick.

Furret Sun 14-Jun-20 07:53:00

Another health v wealth measure. Need to do this to reopen the economy so the right wingers will approve and the rest be more wary. The only way this is safe is if the wearing of masks in shops etc is compulsory.

In the words of Urm that would be ‘in line with many other countries’.

Furret Sun 14-Jun-20 07:55:54

New Zealand, who has now declared itself Covid-free, enforced the 2m rule. That’s good enough for me.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jun-20 07:58:16

Yes - ignore the government, they do not have our best interests at heart and in any case the government are ignoring scientific advise.

BlueSky Sun 14-Jun-20 07:59:42

Exactly Furret abroad masks are mandatory. I won't feel very safe otherwise.

Grandad1943 Sun 14-Jun-20 08:08:32

My wife and I are being told, under legislation, we cannot visit our daughters or their families in their homes and also we must keep a two-metre distance from all others wherever we go.

However, we witness now night after night on our televisions large numbers of protesters totally disregarding that legislation while carrying out large scale violence and disruption while little or nothing is done to stop them.

This government appears to have totally lost all control of the Covid-19 restraint situation, and for me now "Enough is Enough."

Someone in authority needs to get a grip.

Daisymae Sun 14-Jun-20 08:13:35

Where's the logic? From this week you can take your children shopping, the zoo, plan a holiday etc but it's too dangerous to take them to school? Something is seriously amiss.

BlueSky Sun 14-Jun-20 08:19:18

Sadly true Grandad.

JenniferEccles Sun 14-Jun-20 08:34:00

It’s got to come sooner or later and whenever it’s changed it will be too soon for some.

Whatever decisions the government make will come under fire, but attempting to rescue the economy is an absolute priority now.

The dreadful riots are another discussion altogether though aren’t they?

Grandad1943 Sun 14-Jun-20 08:41:25

Why bother to make any changes at all when whoever may choose can just disregard the advice and legislation in the knowledge that no action against them will be taken.

By not enforcing legislation such measures just bring the rule of law into total disrepute.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jun-20 08:48:04

Like Cummings you mean grandad?

Daisymae Sun 14-Jun-20 08:48:42

The restrictions are chaotic. People might as well be told to take whatever risk factor they are comfortable with as the government have given up.

Hetty58 Sun 14-Jun-20 08:50:55

The government only predicted and expected 80% compliance with lockdown. Even that was enough to make a huge difference.

Obviously, the rules can't be enforced. We have a policing service that's been run down and diminished for decades.

Of course, two metres is far safer than one. The pressure comes from business interests, desperate to help the survival of pubs, catering etc.

Grandad1943 Sun 14-Jun-20 08:51:22

Whitewavemark2

Like Cummings you mean grandad?

Exactly Whitewavemark2.

Parky Sun 14-Jun-20 08:51:58

It is time to get the economy back on track. If people are worried about catching the virus then stay at home, use local shops and come out of isolation when ready. Let the rest get on with their lives.

The police do what they can, can't expect them to be everywhere.

suziewoozie Sun 14-Jun-20 08:58:39

The debate about distance is being framed far too simplistically as a sort of either/or. The whole context of the interaction has to be evaluated

Place of interaction indoors/outdoors
Length of interaction
Activity whilst interacting

And all underpinned by mask wearing and hand washing

JenniferEccles Sun 14-Jun-20 09:02:23

The risk of catching the virus now is very small.

I read that only one person in 1,700 is infected now.

Grandad1943 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:10:30

Hetty58, in regard to your post @08:50 today, I believe that perhaps we are all learning the lesson that if legislation cannot be enforced and respected, then that legislation should not be introduced.

Boris Johnson had the vast majority of this nation with him and his government when the emergency lockdown measures were introduced.

However, in the last two weeks we have all witnessed large numbers within single-issue pressure groups totally ignore that legislation to cause mayhem and bring about the loss of all respect for that emergency legislation in the eyes of very many.

So, ether now the government demonstrates that it can return respect for that legislation or it withdraws such measures from the statute book altogether.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:33:49

WHO recommend 1M distancing.

Face coverings are advised from tomorrow in all places where social distancing is not possible

Let's hope that the protests nationwide over the last two weeks do not cause a rise in Covid-19 transmissions and deaths, as thousands (if not millions) of people's jobs are already precarious and another lockdown would be disastrous both mentally and financially.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:40:00

gg13 the scientists in this country are saying that given where the U.K. is in its fight against covid, I.e. the worst in the world.

2 meters should still be the rule.

WHO is directing its advise to the countries who have dealt with covid more successfully this kakistocracy.

AJKW Sun 14-Jun-20 09:41:09

Wear masks in public and abolish the 2 metre rule. Has the infection rate increased substantially in countries like France, the answer is no. We must get our kids bad to school before most of them become completely comatose.

SpecialK57 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:43:27

How crazy is it that if my dad aged 95 and living alone now chose to bubble up with my daughter who has children aged 5, 3 and 1 she could legally let them cuddle him and stay overnight with him but because my husband (62) and I (63) live together, the children cannot even enter our house unless they are walking through to the garden or going to the toilet and cuddles are strictly off the agenda

Aepgirl Sun 14-Jun-20 09:43:41

I’m shall still maintain a 2 metre rule.

polnan Sun 14-Jun-20 09:47:09

I agree Grandad1943

except Government hasn`t "lost" control, never had it..

we have become a too liberal society, imo