Gransnet forums

Chat

Just seen a NEWS report on the shops that have reopened

(38 Posts)
12Michael Mon 15-Jun-20 10:57:37

According to the report most of the High Street brands have got queing such places like Primark.
Unless you know what you want its easy as in some cases fitting rooms are out of use.
Gather buying shoes or even books , you may pick the item up and not buy , it then is stacked elsewhere for 72 hours before it can displayed again.
Mick

ginny Tue 16-Jun-20 10:58:43

Only shopping in local shops for a while yet. I will only venture to the main town when I really have to.
I’m trying to understand why some people are happy to be in crowds to go shopping but don’t think it safe to go back to work.

Teetime Tue 16-Jun-20 09:58:47

I will probably go and have a look round the town (medium sized market town) and see if I can support the small local shops. The two large shops I regularly shop in are JL and Debenhams and they are not opening in our nearest town yet. I would like some new make up so will have to wait to go for that but otherwise everything is on line and much more convenient to try things on at home - I may never go browse shopping again.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jun-20 09:49:07

I was having a huge declutter just before all this, so, I'm stuck with bags of stuff.
No way do I want to struggle down to a charity shop with them, and I've no idea when post will be back to normal, so selling on is not an option, either.

bikergran Tue 16-Jun-20 09:48:29

Whilst working yesterday I spoke to a Customer who had Queued 3 hours! to go into local Halifax branch.

One person serving who was also multi tasking helping people set up new accounts, other staff apparently just wandering round.

3 hour queues at Sports Direct.

Calendargirl Tue 16-Jun-20 09:40:01

One of our local charity shops was opening yesterday, only 3 or 4 at a time, one way system, donations to be taken round to the back door.
I hope they are not inundated with stuff, they only look to have a small store room.
I imagine many donations will go straight to the skip, as they will just have nowhere to put them, and if shop clothes have to be quarantined for 72 hours after being touched......

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jun-20 09:39:29

I'll be going past there on the bus in about 10 mins, grannygravy.

I'll try and crane my neck and see when they're open. smile

Calendargirl Tue 16-Jun-20 09:35:12

It’s not all the younger generation addicted to shopping. Various threads on GN show how many shoes, boots, handbags, not to mention clothes that many older ladies buy, either online or in person.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Jun-20 09:34:42

That post was to MissAdventure

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Jun-20 09:33:52

Well I have to have something that fits me (who knew that baking actually shrunk clothes?) when we are allowed to meet up at Cafe Max for coffee and cake ?☕️

BlueBelle Tue 16-Jun-20 09:33:00

Oopsadaisy the charity shop I work in is probably not going to be opened till July but there are lots of things already put in place Donations will be double bagged and left for 72 hours we have a counter screen up , one way traffic and 4 customers at a time plus no trying on, goodS brought back will again be stored for 72 hours
It’s going to be very difficult but no worse than ordinary shops I guess
I m looking forward to a wander round town we can’t hide away for ever this virus isn’t going to disappear it’s going to be lurking around for probably years popping up every now and then we can’t stay in hiding for the rest of our lives

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jun-20 09:21:40

That's very unselfish of you, grannygravy grin

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Jun-20 09:17:02

MissAdventure you are correct, according to GrandpaGravy I am single handedily trying to keep certain stores going ?

Furret Tue 16-Jun-20 09:14:32

Online COVID-19?

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jun-20 09:07:09

It's no different to other people continuing to buy online, despite having umpteen pairs of shoes, boots, etc.

Furret Tue 16-Jun-20 09:01:15

Non-essential says it all. Who needs new clothes - except children who are still growing or those who are munching their way through lockdown?

Saw a young woman clutching a handbags she’s ‘simply had to have’. Says something about our culture and priorities doesn’t it and suspect that applies to the young men mobbing the Nike shop too.

Iam64 Tue 16-Jun-20 08:30:01

TerriBull - I confess, John Lewis is my go to store. My family often query how their sales can be dropping, given the level of support I give them. I'll look on line and I will miss meeting a friend at our local JL, wandering the sale lines, trying things on, having a coffee and a cake. Pre lock down bliss but not for the foreseeable

TerriBull Tue 16-Jun-20 08:20:22

I won't be rushing out to the shops, before the lockdown I did like going to my local town in the early morning whilst it was quiet, we have one of the John Lewis that opened their doors yesterday. Their summer sales should be looming, normally I would buy at such a time, although everything is on line. However having seen some of the manic behaviour on the news, I can't understand it really, Nike in Oxford Street in particular, I mean no one dies without new trainers shock not to mention the queues for McDonalds, it really does say a lot about some people's mentality, definitely an age demographic thing I'd say. Would still rather walk out in the fresh air rather than traipse around shops with artificial lighting, haven't really missed them that much. Having said that, sadly the high street will suffer even more unless those wanting to spend do so.

Ginny42 Tue 16-Jun-20 08:18:49

In one image I saw I could clearly see two women - white haired and more than middle aged - coming out of a very crowded store onto a busy street. What were they thinking? How was that a safe environment for them?

Iam64 Tue 16-Jun-20 08:02:31

Mick - I won't be rushing into any shops, that's for sure. Distancing rules, so many hands touching clothing etc - too risky for me. keep safe everyone

Lucca Tue 16-Jun-20 07:48:49

Mentioned on i another thread, out of curiosity I walked into town yesterday. Queues round the block for sports direct......how urgently can you need multi packs of Slazenger socks

12Michael Tue 16-Jun-20 07:09:44

Locally in a way to me Bicester Village , distancing rules broken etc , according to reports calls for it to close , until distancing rules change, which could never happen .
Mick

suziewoozie Mon 15-Jun-20 22:52:51

I’ve done more and more online shopping in recent years but even so, I’m mildly surprised at how completely indifferent I am to the idea of ever doing in-person shopping ever again.

PinkCakes Mon 15-Jun-20 20:37:18

I've never liked going into shops (not even for groceries, but I've been having to do that since the lockdown), and can't understand what would make anyone wait for hours in a queue. I can get everything I need online, thanks.

Daisymae Mon 15-Jun-20 16:40:30

I suspect that was just Oxford Street, one photo I saw online looked like the scrum was 50% photographers

GrannyGravy13 Mon 15-Jun-20 16:11:07

There are pictures on line of the young, mostly men queuing to get into the Nike Store in Oxford Street, no social distancing looked like a rugby scrum the poor man on the door didn’t stand a chance of monitoring numbers.

Who needs trainers or gym wear that desperately?