Gransnet forums

Chat

Had a dizzy turn today

(98 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 20:47:34

Hi all,

I am prone to dizzy spells and I had a particularly bad one today. I can still feel the effects.

As some of you may know, I live with my parents who were sitting in the garden. I didn't sleep much last night either. I was sitting on the floor eating a ready meal as I felt I should eat something, when I felt very sick, shaky and dizzy.

I stood up and opened the window to get a breath of fresh air but it was a very heavy-aired day here today, so that provided no relief. I had to crawl along the floor to my inhaler which was in my handbag, as I was so dizzy.

I stood at the window for a while, drinking small sips of Lucozade, but I got more and more agitated (as I usually do when I feel like that), and I ended up sliding down the wall onto the floor, after a few minutes I tried to stand and go to the stairs to try and shout for my parents but they couldn't hear me (even though they were only 2 metres from the front door, the windows were open and I have a loud voice), so I tried to go back to my room to get my mobile to phone my mum, but I got about a metre away from my room before I collapsed to the floor, where I lay for another few minutes. I was close to tears as I felt so terrible.

I stood up and managed to go to my room, and when I got there, a relative FaceTimed me for a chat. I told her I felt very dizzy and had just collapsed. She said it must be because I haven't ate much, it's very hot and I hadn't slept much (she knows this as I told her a few hours before). She also said I should put on my clothes and go and sit in the garden with my parents for some fresh air. I was close to tears for a second time as everyone was being so nice to me. My mother also realised how ill I was because of the fact I was outside without makeup on which isn't like me. I have dizzy spells frequently, if I get very warm or tired or if I don't eat or drink much, or if I stand, sit or bend too quickly, with the occasional bad one if I have a combination of these things. I had all of these factors today (warm, tired, not ate or drank much). This was a bad one. It was very scary. Thanks for reading.

Take care,
FlyingHandbag. X

winterwhite Tue 16-Jun-20 20:56:07

Oh how very frightening. I wish I had something helpful to contribute. Have you had medical advice? Could you analyse the events off yesterday carefully and pinpoint anything special to avoid today?
I'm impressed that your mother realised something was wrong because you appeared in the garden without make up! That's a high standard you set!

willa45 Tue 16-Jun-20 21:09:00

So sorry FlyingHandbag.....If your doctor has already ruled out other things, it could be dehydration, which can be very debilitating? The onset can be sudden dizziness, (not vertigo, but the feeling that the plug has been pulled out of you).... can also include headache and/or nausea.

Hot, humid weather and excessive sweating could be triggers. You may need to drink more water and to stay where it's cool. Avoid heavy meals especially late in the day. In hot weather, it's better to have frequent light meals and wear loose clothing. I make it a point not to have anything but water or chamomile tea, after 8 pm.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

EllanVannin Tue 16-Jun-20 21:31:16

Lack of sleep will cause dizziness which has a knock-on effect on your body as a whole.
Stay hydrated even if you can't eat any food. Avoid moving about too much. Peppermint tea or oil of peppermint for nausea. Stemetil from the GP.

FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 21:32:56

winterwhite

Oh how very frightening. I wish I had something helpful to contribute. Have you had medical advice? Could you analyse the events off yesterday carefully and pinpoint anything special to avoid today?
I'm impressed that your mother realised something was wrong because you appeared in the garden without make up! That's a high standard you set!

It was so so so frightening, especially when I collapsed in the hall, I really thought I was going to die. I haven't had medical advice. I've had dizzy spells before but not as bad as this. I am a firm believer in 'look good, feel good'. X

tidyskatemum Tue 16-Jun-20 21:41:21

Surely if you feel so ill you should seek medical advice. Have you had your blood pressure checked? You do sound as if you are getting a bit obsessed with your health but if you do nothing about it it's not going to improve.

FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 21:41:28

willa45

So sorry FlyingHandbag.....If your doctor has already ruled out other things, it could be dehydration, which can be very debilitating? The onset can be sudden dizziness, (not vertigo, but the feeling that the plug has been pulled out of you).... can also include headache and/or nausea.

Hot, humid weather and excessive sweating could be triggers. You may need to drink more water and to stay where it's cool. Avoid heavy meals especially late in the day. In hot weather, it's better to have frequent light meals and wear loose clothing. I make it a point not to have anything but water or chamomile tea, after 8 pm.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Thanks. I don't think it's dehydration as I have less severe turns if I am very warm, I am very tired, or if I've not ate much. I also go a bit funny if I stand up quickly. Today I was warm, tired and I hadn't ate much, hence why it was so severe. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 21:41:50

EllanVannin

Lack of sleep will cause dizziness which has a knock-on effect on your body as a whole.
Stay hydrated even if you can't eat any food. Avoid moving about too much. Peppermint tea or oil of peppermint for nausea. Stemetil from the GP.

Thanks for the advice. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 21:42:50

tidyskatemum

Surely if you feel so ill you should seek medical advice. Have you had your blood pressure checked? You do sound as if you are getting a bit obsessed with your health but if you do nothing about it it's not going to improve.

I haven't had my blood pressure checked for a while but will make a point of it after lockdown. I'm not obsessed about my health at all. X

CanadianGran Tue 16-Jun-20 21:43:19

You had best get yourself to a doctor, or at least phone a clinic.
There are many things that can cause weakness and dizziness, including diabetes and heart disease. Not something to treat lightly.

please take this seriously.

FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 22:34:23

CanadianGran

You had best get yourself to a doctor, or at least phone a clinic.
There are many things that can cause weakness and dizziness, including diabetes and heart disease. Not something to treat lightly.

please take this seriously.

I've had a look on the NHS website and I think it may be an iron deficiency. X

PinkCakes Tue 16-Jun-20 22:41:56

FlyingHandbag As others have said, various things could cause the dizziness and feeling like you did:

Dehydration (you need about 3 pints of fluid a day (more during hot weather)

Not eating enough - have regular meals and snacks in between if you don't eat a lot. Whe you have sweet stuff, the blood sugar level goes up then drops quickly, so ideally you should follow up sugary stuff with carbohydrate - so if you had chocolate, for example, have toast or crisps afterwards.

Low blood pressure when you stand up suddenly. Get your BP checked. Also, when you stand up, stand still for a while until you feel ok, before walking about.

Take care

FarNorth Tue 16-Jun-20 22:44:12

Don't try to diagnose it yourself.
Phone your GP surgery. They ought to at least give you a phone consultation or perhaps a video one.

crazyH Tue 16-Jun-20 22:49:10

Yes, as the others have said, see your Doctor.
I had similar episodes and am now on BP tablets.

agnurse Tue 16-Jun-20 22:49:48

I agree that you really need to get this checked out. Another possibility is multiple sclerosis - some people with MS don't do well with changes in temperature.

LadyBella Tue 16-Jun-20 22:52:06

You don't say how old you are or why you live with your parents. I wonder if it is stress-related? I often get dizzy or feel sick and I know it's stress. I go into the bedroom and sit by the window open and let the cool air come in and I normally feel better. Perhaps you are overdoing things especially in the warmer weather?

FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 22:55:30

Thanks all. I am in bed now, going to try to sleep earlier tonight. X

geekesse Tue 16-Jun-20 23:05:02

You must see a doctor. It could be something trivial like postural hypotension, or it could be something serious. You should have your blood sugar checked - your description is similar to a hypoglycaemic episode. A bunch of strangers on a forum cannot help you here - you need a medical check up in the very near future.

Callistemon Tue 16-Jun-20 23:12:59

I think you said you had one the other week.
You could possibly have labyrinthitis which is an inner ear infection and affects your balance. It can take a while to get better.
It could possibly be Ménières Disease

You do need to get it checked out.

Summerlove Tue 16-Jun-20 23:15:58

Please call the doctor tomorrow.

blondenana Tue 16-Jun-20 23:22:41

I really feel for you,i have been feeling a bit dizzy the last week, i do get vertigo sometimes and i am helpless to do anything
I have low blood pressure and that could be the cause of your dizzy episode maybe
I was really scared last week,when sat outside,i suddely had palpitations and went very dizzy, i think it only lasted secons and then disappeared, but i can imagine how frightened you felt
I have some prochlorperazine for vertigo if neccessary,
I hope you feel better tomorrow
I have a feeling the heat could be contributing to this ,and often appetite goes in hot weather

FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 23:25:26

geekesse I'll go for a general check up after lockdown.
Callistermon I don't remember having one the other week, maybe a very minor one when I've stood up quickly. I've had them for years just less severe, so I don't think it's labrynthitis.
Summerlove I'll go for a general checkup after lockdown. I don't think it's anything serious as I have less severe ones caused by different triggers and I had a mix of all the triggers today, which is why it was so severe.
Thanks all. X

annep1 Tue 16-Jun-20 23:40:57

You could get a monitor and check your blood pressure yourself.
But really you should see a doctor. Even if you have had it for a while. And doctors have urged people not to neglect their health during lockdown. There really is no reason to wait.

FlyingHandbag Wed 17-Jun-20 00:08:13

Good idea annep1. X

BibiSarah Wed 17-Jun-20 05:46:35

What happened to you yesterday sounds awful and you really do need to see a Dr in order to get to the bottom of whats going on. Granted your symptoms may very well have a physical cause but he would also look at your emotional well being and see if that could be playing a part in what you're experiencing.