Gransnet forums

Chat

Had a dizzy turn today

(99 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Tue 16-Jun-20 20:47:34

Hi all,

I am prone to dizzy spells and I had a particularly bad one today. I can still feel the effects.

As some of you may know, I live with my parents who were sitting in the garden. I didn't sleep much last night either. I was sitting on the floor eating a ready meal as I felt I should eat something, when I felt very sick, shaky and dizzy.

I stood up and opened the window to get a breath of fresh air but it was a very heavy-aired day here today, so that provided no relief. I had to crawl along the floor to my inhaler which was in my handbag, as I was so dizzy.

I stood at the window for a while, drinking small sips of Lucozade, but I got more and more agitated (as I usually do when I feel like that), and I ended up sliding down the wall onto the floor, after a few minutes I tried to stand and go to the stairs to try and shout for my parents but they couldn't hear me (even though they were only 2 metres from the front door, the windows were open and I have a loud voice), so I tried to go back to my room to get my mobile to phone my mum, but I got about a metre away from my room before I collapsed to the floor, where I lay for another few minutes. I was close to tears as I felt so terrible.

I stood up and managed to go to my room, and when I got there, a relative FaceTimed me for a chat. I told her I felt very dizzy and had just collapsed. She said it must be because I haven't ate much, it's very hot and I hadn't slept much (she knows this as I told her a few hours before). She also said I should put on my clothes and go and sit in the garden with my parents for some fresh air. I was close to tears for a second time as everyone was being so nice to me. My mother also realised how ill I was because of the fact I was outside without makeup on which isn't like me. I have dizzy spells frequently, if I get very warm or tired or if I don't eat or drink much, or if I stand, sit or bend too quickly, with the occasional bad one if I have a combination of these things. I had all of these factors today (warm, tired, not ate or drank much). This was a bad one. It was very scary. Thanks for reading.

Take care,
FlyingHandbag. X

annep1 Thu 18-Jun-20 22:33:20

I was initially diagnosed with Fibro, then M.E /CFS. But we can only suggest things. The OP needs to go back to her GP. Once you have a diagnosis you can start to take control.

PinkCakes Thu 18-Jun-20 19:58:17

FlyingHandbag Regarding the pain you have all the time - my 39 year old son has pains every single day. He's fit and healthy, slim, doesn't smoke, etc. His GP referred him to the hospital for tests, scans, blood tests, etc. They all came back negative - no Arthritis or anything. The conclusion was that he's got Fibromyalgia. He was prescribed painkillers (he tries to manage without them most of the time). He works (he's got children, so has to work) and tries to keep healthy by eating decent food and cycling.

JenniferEccles Thu 18-Jun-20 14:04:08

I think we are Megs36 !!!

BlueSky Thu 18-Jun-20 12:21:52

Aldom thanks! Perhaps there should be a Like button if we don't have a lot to say but agree with the topic.
FlyingHandbag sorry for disrupting your thread, let us know when you decide to consult your GP, which as others have said it's necessary, even if we don't want to bother. flowers

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jun-20 12:01:27

aldrom don’t worry I think it’s just saying hi

flyinghandbags seeing as you know all the triggers back to front i m sure you will know how to avoid them in the future

Aldom Thu 18-Jun-20 11:48:08

Sorry, last symbol unintentionally sent. Don't know the meaning

Aldom Thu 18-Jun-20 11:47:05

Hello bluesky sending you some flowers ?????‍♀️

BlueSky Thu 18-Jun-20 10:57:56

Megs36 smile

FlyingHandbag Thu 18-Jun-20 10:55:13

BlueBelle
The fact that your parents and a relative that was on the phone to you just after you collapsed were not concerned enough to ring 111 or a doctor seems to me as if they have had this happen many times before and know it is quite normal for you
It has. I have much less severe ones a few times a week when I don't actually collapse, and if I have a combination of the triggers, I can collapse which is what happened. X

Megs36 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:41:23

BlueSky Me too!

BlueSky Thu 18-Jun-20 10:38:32

Annep our posts must be boring! Thanks again Luckygirl! thanks

Megs36 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:35:12

JenniferEccles are we on the same page again?

annep1 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:03:29

Bluesky just as well we don't have a 'like' button. Some of us would feel very neglected.

annep1 Thu 18-Jun-20 09:59:49

No GP would leave someone suffering with chronic pain without support.

I think some GPs, having eliminated possible causes might leave you to suffer thinking it's all in your mind. This has happened with many M.E. sufferers.

Luckygirl Thu 18-Jun-20 09:36:25

It's a pleasure. That's another reply!!! grin

BlueSky Thu 18-Jun-20 09:35:09

Luckygirl thank you! smile

Luckygirl Thu 18-Jun-20 09:28:46

Hello BlueSky - I am replying to your post!! smile

BlueSky Thu 18-Jun-20 09:18:12

FlyingHandbag's posts seem to always get a lot of answers, so people find the posts interesting. Mine get half a dozen replies if I'm lucky! confused

Marydoll Thu 18-Jun-20 09:01:32

I agree Bluebelle.

Why are posters still feeding the anxiety of this lady by suggesting what is wrong with her?
We DO NOT KNOW this woman's medical history and we ARE NOT doctors.

Do posters not read previous posts?

I'm actually beginning to think there is more to this than meets the eye.
No GP would leave someone suffering with chronic pain without support.
If all else fails, you can be referred to a pain clinic. I was.

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jun-20 08:23:02

I hope you.are feeling much better by now Flyinghandbags but although you dismissed my comment about mental health I believe that that is the avenue you need to explore chronic pain with no reason can often be attributed to a mental health condition and you say you have anxiety which also can be considered a mental health problem
The fact that your parents and a relative that was on the phone to you just after you collapsed were not concerned enough to ring 111 or a doctor seems to me as if they have had this happen many times before and know it is quite normal for you

You definitely need help as your behaviour is not helpful to yourself , it really isn’t useful for a middle aged lady to be sitting on the floor to eat a ready meal when they are in chronic pain especially if you are a person who goes dizzy regularly getting up and down
I think coming on here to chat is a great idea but you shouldn’t be asking for medical advise only you or your parents can get that through a doctor not a chat forum

annep1 Thu 18-Jun-20 07:57:12

?If all else has been ruled out, perhaps you have CFS Flyinghandbag. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or to give it its proper name (imo) Myalgic Encephalitis (M.E.), can cause all sorts of symptoms.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-cfs/

I have it and it takes lot of getting used to. But knowing what causes the symptoms can help, as anxiety would exacerbate them.

willa45 Thu 18-Jun-20 01:53:06

I agree with Marydoll. Medical advice should be qualified and Lockdown does take a toll. I suggest we all take a step back and everyone take a deep breath.

Flying Handbag, no matter what you decide, I hope you get better soon. There are 74 replies to this thread not counting this one....a lot of advice for you to sort out in order to take some action. The only other thing I would ask is that you let us know how you made out, because we care.

FlyingHandbag Wed 17-Jun-20 23:32:10

I have chronic pain but the doctors have never found a cause. X

annodomini Wed 17-Jun-20 23:31:09

I normally have a very busy life in spite of my chronic pain

I don't remember your mentioning your chronic pain or the cause of it. Perhaps you could refresh my memory? If you are on pain relief medication, you might need to have it reviewed in case it might be the cause of your dizzy spells.

Marydoll Wed 17-Jun-20 23:17:24

As we know nothing about the OPs medica! history , it really won't help her anxiety issues by speculating about what is wrong with her and making suggestions based on our own medical issues.
The best course of action is to seek medical help. That's the only course of action, not filling her head with ideas.
We are not qualified to diagnose.

She has already admitted that she suffers from anxiety and being in lockdown has exacerbated this.