Gransnet forums

Chat

Denim: An indispensable wardrobe addition.

(102 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Sun 21-Jun-20 19:14:46

Hi all,
I had my denim jacket on today and realised how versatile and essential denim is. I wouldn't be without my denim jacket and my jeans (skinny stretch, all colours, but I would love some embroidered ones). My denim jacket is my go to jacket for what I call effortless chic (my everyday type), and is absolutely perfect with a nice scarf. I keep meaning to pick up a denim skirt to wear with an off the shoulder top, too. I don't actually know why I'm going on about denim, but I adore denim. X

MawB Mon 22-Jun-20 09:59:06

I have just remembered, there was a nice anniversary picture of Camilla and Prince Charles back in March and she looked great in jeans and blue suede boots.

BlueSky Mon 22-Jun-20 10:01:12

Exactly MawB! Young at heart! Agree on the elasticated waist! wink

Alexa Mon 22-Jun-20 10:04:57

Denim is a good wind break but feels cold to the touch in the winter so denim jackets requires insulation underneath in colder wearher . It's far too thick for shirts and dresses. Okay for skirts and trousers.

So much for the practicalities of denim. The semiotic aspect of denim is interesting and a book could be written on it, let alone a discussion on gransnet.

b1zzle Mon 22-Jun-20 10:05:38

Way to go! (It's probably the rebel in us for those who love denim).

Lucca Mon 22-Jun-20 10:06:38

Alexa I have owned a few denim dresses, and they are not to thick !!

Oopsminty Mon 22-Jun-20 10:06:45

b1zzle

Way to go! (It's probably the rebel in us for those who love denim).

That's interesting

I think I avoided denim because everyone was wearing it!

Callistemon Mon 22-Jun-20 10:06:53

Last time I wore slim (well, slimmish!) dark denim jeans and a nice top, DD said 'Oh, you look nice Mum'!
Was she just being polite? No, she would have said 'I don't think that's you' if she thought otherwise.

Alexa Mon 22-Jun-20 10:07:03

That would be a chapter all to itself, blzzle.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jun-20 10:07:34

Oopsminty DH has never, ever worn denim.

EilaRose Mon 22-Jun-20 10:12:57

Hand up here from another denim lover. Age doesn't bother me, I'm not vain and don't really care if other people like or dislike what I'm wearing. As long as I'm happy, nothing else matters.

In the last year I've made 4 x pair of jeans with plans to make another pair in a few weeks, once I finish the current jacket. An embroidered denim jacket is planned too.

Ellianne Mon 22-Jun-20 10:13:34

Do you remember wearing cheese cloth tops with denim jeans? The perfect match!

MawB Mon 22-Jun-20 10:14:40

Actually what I like about denim jackets Alexa is that they can look absolutely fine with a summer dress in our often uncertain weather or if there’s a breeze and far less frumpy than a cardi. There are jackets made of lighter weight denim than the traditional Levi jacket and also twill in white, dusty pink, black or beige etc - look at Joules or Ruth Langford on QVC
I think we all know about “de Nîmes” don’t we?

BlueSky Mon 22-Jun-20 10:17:38

Alexa I like your name a lot and I use it myself on another site. So when I see your posts I do a double take!

Alexa Mon 22-Jun-20 10:33:55

Thanks.Same here BlueSky. I have another of my favourite names on another site I go to and when I see that other name printed anywhere it feels like my real name.

MawB I too like denim jackets in that context. Personally am not bothered about mutton dressed as lamb as I am more concerned about garments hiding my aged imperfections if possible.

MawB Mon 22-Jun-20 10:40:30

I’m with you there Alexa only I’m sure you don’t have any that need disguising winkflowers

Alexa Mon 22-Jun-20 11:26:54

I can only try MawB. One advantage is so few garment shapes suit me it is so much easier to choose what to wear.

Luckygirl Mon 22-Jun-20 11:28:22

I wear jeans ALL the time - except in bed!

TrendyNannie6 Mon 22-Jun-20 11:35:01

You have just reminded me I’ve got a sleeveless denim gilet, goes upstairs to find it

MawB Mon 22-Jun-20 11:41:18

Alexa

I can only try MawB. One advantage is so few garment shapes suit me it is so much easier to choose what to wear.

I agree Alexa it has taken me many decades to realise that I cannot wear some things so like you, I just don’t!

Annie26 Mon 22-Jun-20 11:48:11

Love jeans and denim jeggings. Have recently bought a denim sleeveless dress which is light and ideal for the hot weather this week

lostinfrance Mon 22-Jun-20 12:01:49

I may be a little younger than many on here but I can't see myself EVER giving up denim. It can match up with any other colour. Suitable for most seasons in the UK - I wear jeans with boots and jumpers in winter, in summer with sandals and a tshirt, vest or light blouse.

Denim jackets as mentioned upthread can look very smart or super casual. They are great for chilly summer evenings - again they go well; with most colourways and fabrics.

As i get a little more mature I might change the style and cut of my jeans but hopefully will keep wearing them for a long time yet.

FlyingHandbag Mon 22-Jun-20 15:45:36

lostinfrance

I may be a little younger than many on here but I can't see myself EVER giving up denim. It can match up with any other colour. Suitable for most seasons in the UK - I wear jeans with boots and jumpers in winter, in summer with sandals and a tshirt, vest or light blouse.

Denim jackets as mentioned upthread can look very smart or super casual. They are great for chilly summer evenings - again they go well; with most colourways and fabrics.

As i get a little more mature I might change the style and cut of my jeans but hopefully will keep wearing them for a long time yet.

I will never ever stop wearing jeans or denim. My favourite is skinny jeans but I think I may start to get a few pairs in a straight leg. X

Nanof3 Mon 22-Jun-20 15:53:51

I have never worn jeans as any I tried on were uncomfortable and if you are larger than a size 10 make you look like an elephant.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jun-20 16:14:25

Nanof3

I have never worn jeans as any I tried on were uncomfortable and if you are larger than a size 10 make you look like an elephant.

That's me then!!

???????

How judgemental!
Not half as bad as those women who eye you up and down critically.

MawB Mon 22-Jun-20 16:46:30

Nanof3

What a downright stupid remark.
You have clearly not found the right brand and if everybody shared your peculiar point of view, nobody would make jeans any bigger than a size 10 as nobody would buy them.
Well cut jeans like well cut trousers can flatter any figure provided they are well made.