Gransnet forums

Chat

New rules from 4th July just announced,

(100 Posts)
sharon103 Tue 23-Jun-20 14:02:48

Boris Johnson has announced a new “one-metre plus” social distancing rule in England in his latest easing of the coronavirus lockdown.

Speaking in the House of Commons on Tuesday, the prime minister said cutting the distance from two metres will allow the stricken hospitality sector to start reopening.

Johnson said that “where it is possible to keep two metres apart, people should. But where it is not, we will advise people to keep a social distance of one metre plus, meaning they should remain one metre apart while taking mitigations to reduce the risk of transmission.”

He subsequently confirmed pubs, restaurants, hotels, cinemas and hairdressers can reopen from 4 July providing they are “COVID-secure”.
Johnson also announced two households will be allowed to meet indoors and stay overnight.

Callistemon Tue 23-Jun-20 23:13:14

BlueSky

Exactly retired people like ourselves can carry on as before. We are lucky to have a choice.

Yes, we are.

Don't forget, if anyone comes over the border to the Welsh hills, it's still 2 metres distancing!

Teacheranne Wed 24-Jun-20 02:16:25

So I can go to a restaurant with a large group of single friends but can only have six people in my garden? Not sure this makes sense to me. Or have I misunderstood the new guidelines?

Willow500 Wed 24-Jun-20 06:59:57

And we still can't stay in second homes it seems although we can book a holiday to Spain! Totally confusing - I've just read the official information and it says it's still not allowed and another report mentions August and yet this new set of rules says someone shielding can stay overnight with a family member. What's the difference? We would be taking food etc and wouldn't need to go out at all or see anyone else! angry

Furret Wed 24-Jun-20 07:14:48

That does sound crazy as I think you can go and stay in a holiday cottage, but not your own? Do I have that correct?

I used to pride myself on my ability to grasp news ideas easily but this is confusing...is it me?

Kate54 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:49:51

In England second home visiting overnight will now definitely be allowed from July 4th. With or without another household. And owners will be allowed to let them out although there may well be some restrictions on this, yet to be revealed. Not much time to get organised.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 24-Jun-20 09:53:41

Yes all a bit of a confusing pickle but am pleased we can now have our provisionally booked 2 weeks at our caravan in July. That was another anomaly, I feel, eg sit in a self contained house with own toilet, shower etc and only go out for walks and supermarket was permitted, but previously not allowed to sit in our self contained caravan with own toilet, shower etc or go out for walks in a much less crowded environment and to another branch of the same supermarket chain!

0205s Wed 24-Jun-20 10:27:24

Please can anyone tell me if I can have a passenger in my car as some of my friends don’t drive? Also if I meet someone somewhere we have to take two cars
I would be grateful for any replies

Nannan2 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:29:47

I suggested to my 2 sons we go on a british hol as soon as open as it will be pristine clean then- so less risk - but NO, they said.So i tried "shall we hire a small campervan- surely thats safe enough?" Again a resounding NO- They've been scared witless too much to go out in the world till at least nxt year! Or till a vaccine! Theyre 17& 21 and i dont know what we'll do if at some point they've to go back to college and Uni? Older one does risk going to local shop very occasionally and to pick up a click& collect shop if we have to but then goes in all PPE & gets showered& changed immediately after.Dont know how they'll cope if theres never a vaccine found.hmm

Jellybean345 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:34:43

I’m confused re the rules for ones who are shielded .My 92 year old Mum will be shielded now until August.I ve followed the rules, a distance chat in the garden a distance walk out with just me from my household.From 6 th July Mum can have five others at a distance in the garden .I also read that she can form a bubble, two of us from one household only can be close to Mum ,the rest of the others 2 metres apart .So three of us close together , the others 2 metres apart outside is how I’ve understood it.However can the bubble meet inside then even though Mum is shielded ?Thought I d got it .Then further down the document it stipulates no bubbles for the shielded.So bubble inside or out or at all for the shielded ?Help !

jacalpad Wed 24-Jun-20 10:38:42

@0205s My understanding is that we can still only travel in our cars with members of our own household.

Nannan2 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:42:07

Moggie57- i was able to give one of my GC a quick hug last week as DD dropped something off.But my youngest son insisted i get changed after because of the risk and he didn't even come downstairs, or his brother- yes they've some health problems but if even the shielding are to be allowed out they both really need to get a grip on this, and try live a bit.But i fear now the rules are changed that my other DD will want to bring the kids and though ive greatly missed them i can see it freaking my sons out if they do?- its really very exhausting thinking& fretting over it allhmm

suziewoozie Wed 24-Jun-20 10:49:16

jelly shielded people can form bubble now in exactly the same ways as non-shielded people.

Everything now is guidance - there are no rules and no one knows what if anything would happen to anyone, especially businesses, who ignore them

My own ‘rule’ now based on what. I read and hear ( from a wide variety of trusted sources) is to do what is safe for me ( because I’m very cautious by definition this means it’s safe for others) I’m very risk averse and so it’s irrelevant for me what the guidance says for example about giving someone a lift in my car, I just won’t because I’m not prepared to take the risk, small as I accept it is.

Nannan2 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:49:29

I feel the gov't are deliberately making it hard to understand so that if any of them 'get caught out again' they will just say we 'misunderstood rules', like before with cummings! Its all turning into a bloody farce!

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:51:55

Until toilets are easily accessible, I won't be going anywhere!

suziewoozie Wed 24-Jun-20 10:52:42

Mam I think it’s extremely unkind to tell shielded people ‘to get a grip’. Shielded people are not an homogenous group either physically or emotionally and their choices should be respected. If we’re kind and understanding with those most concerned, that might help them eventually but either way, we should be gentle and kind

suziewoozie Wed 24-Jun-20 10:53:11

Nan I meant of course

Nannan2 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:53:38

I dont see how keeping vulnerable shielded so long then just letting them back out in amongst others is going to help them at all? Its just risking them anyway when we've kept them safe?hmmangry

Callistemon Wed 24-Jun-20 10:55:42

Jellybean I am confused too

It seems I can visit family far away over the border in England in a bubble if I wish but not those in Wales who live 7 miles away.
That is, not until Wales opens its borders to holidaymakers from England and elsewhere, when I will retreat behind my garden gate yet again.

EthelJ Wed 24-Jun-20 10:56:52

I read on the rolling news on the BBC that from 4 July family can provide childcare again. But I can't see any information on that does anyone know?

Nannan2 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:57:22

Suziewoozy i meant my OWN SONS to get a grip not everyone whose shielded the world over!

Callistemon Wed 24-Jun-20 10:57:47

Furret

That does sound crazy as I think you can go and stay in a holiday cottage, but not your own? Do I have that correct?

I used to pride myself on my ability to grasp news ideas easily but this is confusing...is it me?

grin
Although it's not a laughing matter.

I don't have a holiday cottage unfortunately but this is ludicrous.

Nannan2 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:58:29

Suziewoozie i meant, of course!

Gransing Wed 24-Jun-20 10:59:52

I agree. We don't have to visit these places.

Callistemon Wed 24-Jun-20 11:00:53

Gransing

I agree. We don't have to visit these places.

No, but some of us are longing for a change of scene.

Nannan2 Wed 24-Jun-20 11:07:24

And i meant they need to get a grip on the irrational fears that are escalating by the day- the younger folk seem to be more worried about going out in real world than older folk- now i can see why they said on news its affecting them mentally/emotionally as well, with being away from education- its a fine line, and of course im being understanding with them both, but if i allow fear/being irrationally freaked out to take over then im failing them as a parent- im trying to help them gently get back out there a bit.hmm