Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a national uprising against the lack of Zeds in our language or just a thing in my family or just my family.

(49 Posts)
boat Wed 24-Jun-20 11:31:49

Yesterday my favorite middle granddaughter (I've only got three GDs) texted that she would face time me,"Tomoz".

My son, who is in his 50's keeps saying, "Zos", when he sends me a text to say sorry for not keeping up.

Does anyone else get this?

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:17:10

My DD uses arvo (afternoon), Soz, and thanx - assume it's office talk!

Moggycuddler Thu 25-Jun-20 11:32:41

I hate it with a passion when people text (or say) things like "soz". It's meaningless and affected and there's a perfectly good real word - sorry.

allule Thu 25-Jun-20 11:34:39

Ooh...are all these z-words really accepted in WWF?
If so, I'll overlook their ugliness!

BBJS Thu 25-Jun-20 11:44:59

I particularly object to "I forgot my password" instead of "forgotton password" If we continue to replace one tense with another we should soon be unintelligable. There's a reason for tenses ! Think of " I've forgotton my false teeth", as opposed to "I forgot my teeth".. ??
Also, the plane will stop" momentarily" at Heathrow. Changes in vocabulary and tense change the meaning.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:53:24

Two points:

In Scotland in the 1950s we were taught that realise/ realize, visualise/ visualize were both correct. It was up to the user to decide which spelling to use, but that having made your choice you should stick to it and not use both spellings in the same text.

A lot of Scottish children were brought up to ask if they could go to, or use the bathroom, thus avoiding the controversey as to whether lavatory was rude and toilet polite, or the other way around.

Neither the s versus z business or the use of bathroom for toilet or lavatory were considered American usages.

As toilets are standard features of bathrooms, you were not left facing the dilemma if you had asked to wash your hands that I once did, as there was no wash-basin at the toilet, so I was shown to the kitchen sink and had in some embarrassment to say I needed to wee!

boat Thu 25-Jun-20 11:58:53

annodomini I really like that!

Coco51 Thu 25-Jun-20 13:20:54

Can’t you just be happy they are keeping in contact?

GreenGran78 Thu 25-Jun-20 14:35:21

@Gwenisgreat1 Arvo is an Australian shortform. They are very fond of O-ing almost everything. Fremantle is Freeo, a bottle shop(off-license) is a bottle-o etc

absthame Thu 25-Jun-20 14:52:00

Lazy sloppy Americanisms (only one z to ponder) I hate them, why do we Brits and especially the British under the age of about 35years, think that they need to subjugate themselves to Trumpania, USA if your in doubt angry angry angry

Callistemon Thu 25-Jun-20 15:03:55

FarNorth

Our government are a bunch of idiots, that's why they do stupid things including rushing into Brexit.

Baboom! Do I get a prize for being first to mention brexit on a non-brexit thread?

FarNorth
Surely it's BreggZit not Brexit?

I may have a sanger this arvo GwenisGreat!

But back to English in its correct form, Zounds and Gadzooks!

FarNorth Thu 25-Jun-20 15:13:09

No idea about Irish Gaelic boat soz. smile

Shakespeare campaigning against zed - that's shocking!

I like to chuck in an occasional silly slang word or abbreviation, but wouldn't do it in a text or email that was meant to be serious.

Bellanonna Thu 25-Jun-20 15:37:56

BBJS. Americans tend to use the imperfect tense of verbs where we would use the perfect tense (I have forgotten etc).

annodomini Thu 25-Jun-20 16:05:46

'I just did' instead of 'I've just done' is one feature of transatlantic English that really annoys me.

Bellanonna Thu 25-Jun-20 16:44:21

Couldn’t agree more anno

Romola Thu 25-Jun-20 16:59:28

Going back to the "bathroom" discussion, what is wrong with "washroom"? Lavs do after all have washbasins.
I suppose we'll never get rid of "I'm good" in answer to "How are you?"

LightAmber Thu 25-Jun-20 17:56:31

I use soz but regard it as being less sincere than sorry more like a jokey apology in a bantering style (bantz? wink)

I have also affectionately used cuz for my cousin.

However, I am pleased to see that the letter Z being referred to as Zed on this thread rather than the appalling Zee that a lot of people seem to use.

ChrisK Thu 25-Jun-20 21:12:22

Sorry but I love the english language and all these rubbish lazy abbreviations in texts and emails are completely unnecessary. They drive me crazy!

Bellanonna Thu 25-Jun-20 21:27:40

Abbreviations are a good idea in texts, which by their nature lend themselves to brevity.

Maremia Sat 27-Jun-20 16:45:29

Janeainsworth, that is fascinating about Tangier Island.

Sgilley Wed 01-Jul-20 17:07:59

Anyone noticed the custom of answering a question with ‘so’. .......,,

watermeadow Wed 01-Jul-20 20:27:42

FarNorth I think Breggzit is northern, along with eggzam for eggzample.
Down here we say Brexit, pronounced Brecksit.
Breggzit drove me potty back when we heard the damn word a hundred times a day.

Bellanonna Wed 01-Jul-20 20:31:13

I say Brecksit but I do say eggsam and eggzample. I am “down here” too.

FarNorth Wed 01-Jul-20 23:51:04

I say Brecksit as do others up here in the far north, but plenty of people do say Bregzit.
I think my pronunciation of exam and example are kind of mid-way between the two, iyswim. smile