Gransnet forums

Chat

Wrong...but oh so good..

(68 Posts)
farview Wed 24-Jun-20 16:40:50

I went in my sons garden this morning to see one of my younger grandsons...he turned 4today..and although i have seen him a couple of times during lockdown..its been at a distance...but today as i sat down in the garden he came running over and flung his arms around me...and i just held him so tight,eyes filled up..i felt so emotional..it was just so wonderful to hold him...tears streaming again as i write this...so i know i shouldn't have...but it just happened !

4allweknow Thu 25-Jun-20 10:13:03

There is a theory that there is a lot less risk from a hug than a handshake as long as there is no skin contact and you are not face to face. I think I will be fine with AC as they are all very tall even DIL. I will basically be hugging their chests! GC a bit of a challenge to not have skin contact but boy woukd I try.

Maggymay Thu 25-Jun-20 10:18:05

We have not seen our 3 month old DGD yet they live 3.5 hours drive away.
Will be going up in 3 weeks time when we will stay overnight and DS and DIL have said we can give her a cuddle can’t wait.

mbody Thu 25-Jun-20 10:28:21

Good for you, it’s about time we all did this.

NannyG123 Thu 25-Jun-20 10:38:40

Fairview, i can imagine the emotion cuddling your gs. Don't feel bad about it. It's a natural reaction. Can't wait to cuddle mine. Haven't seen him for 4 months. There's no way I'm not going to cuddle him when I see him.

Pippa22 Thu 25-Jun-20 10:39:07

Ooh Maggymay, how can you possibly wait another three weeks before seeing your new little one ? I would be there immediately, it’s not a long journey. It will be so good when you get there, who will you hug first ?

Harris27 Thu 25-Jun-20 10:53:56

Good for you i also have done this. My eldest grandson said ‘Boris can’t stop me now ; felt very emotional. He’s 13 .

allule Thu 25-Jun-20 11:00:14

The new rules sound as though have been made up by a big group of people each chipping in with:

....^and what about walking through house to garden? Lets make a rule...^

rather than starting off with basic principles and following them logically.

I think after all our discussions, our judgement is at least as good as the government's!

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:00:54

Well my GS has Down Syndrome, one of the traits is he likes his cuddles, so yes I was happy to oblige.

Disneyfan Thu 25-Jun-20 11:06:30

I went to my friends Mum's funeral last week. Not the sort of funeral you envisage for your mum. She was distraught and asked for a hug. I did not refuse. Who would..

TrendyNannie6 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:06:31

I can only imagine how you both felt, I bet you didn’t want to let go

PennyWhistle Thu 25-Jun-20 11:38:05

I did not feel at all guilty last weekend when my DGD aged 20 months was plonked on my lap for a cuddle by my DD. We were in their garden keeping to the distance rules and happy to be together again. I was tearful and just sooooo over the moon. I certainly did not want to let go!

Maggymay Thu 25-Jun-20 11:39:15

Pippa22 I wish we could go earlier , DILs parents will be first up and we are fine with that.
They have given us a date for July 14th and we are just so happy counting down the days.

Kim19 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:40:46

When the rules relaxed a little, I let my GC decide. One bulldozed me and the other resisted (and me irresistible!) and that was absolutely fine. Cuddles are wonderful but not essential. I'll settle for the underlying love which is undoubtedly there. Oh yes......

Nainijo Thu 25-Jun-20 11:43:11

That’s lovely ?

Kittycat Thu 25-Jun-20 11:44:39

The joy of it after 3 months or more! Can’t put it into words!
Good for you.xxx

Kerenhappuch Thu 25-Jun-20 11:47:37

Our son has just come to stay with us for a break and he's skipping round me trying to social distance, because I just don't see the point when we're sharing the same house! However, I'm respecting his instincts, which I think are to protect me as I have suffered from a lot of health issues over the last few years.

When/if I see the DGCs, I'll take my cue from their mum and dad - though I think they've already been seeing the grandparents who live nearby with quite relaxed social distancing. But if they want a hug, they can certainly have one. I received a letter last week from my 5 yo grandson, saying 'I wish you could come'.

icanhandthemback Thu 25-Jun-20 11:54:57

That is lovely to read. My grandchildren have been told to keep their distance if they are old enough and guarded if they are too young to know. It is instinctive to want to hug them and I certainly don't blame anybody giving in to it.

Funnily enough it is my eldest boy who is struggling with not hugging. He has always been a big softy who has hugged me even when his friend teased him about it when they thought they were too big for hugs. He just used to say to them that his Dad hugged his Mum when h saw her and if it was good enough for him, he wasn't going to argue. His friends soon gave up the teasing. His hugs got me through some very dark times.

bumblebee34 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:03:07

This has been so tough for everybody. I was used to looking after my almost 3 years old grandson 2 days a week before lockdown and of course hadn’t seen him for weeks.
Mum and dad have both been working from home but both jobs involve lots of client calls so life has been very hard despite them trying to arrange client calls so one of them was available for grandson at least some of the time during the day. Employers aren’t always sympathetic to childcare problems.

Anyway I went and looked after him at theirs on Tuesday to get back to helping out again and it was lovely, we were able to spend most of the time outdoors in the garden doing different things, he loved having a playmate who didn’t have to dash in for phone calls etc!

The thing that was really hard was when it was time to go, grandson got very upset and kept saying ‘do you need me nonna?..........do you need to take me with you?......you do need to take me with you don’t you’. I teared up and had a cry when I got into my car.

I think he coped well while not seeing me and just doing FaceTime stories etc but the strain obviously showed when physically seeing me again and then having to part as he probably thought it might be for weeks again despite me telling him I would see him in a few days, they have no concept of time do they. I just hope things settle down when he sees me more regularly now. This whole nightmare has had far reaching effects on us all I think.

BlueSky Thu 25-Jun-20 12:09:37

I don't want to mention this again but us long distance grans don't know when, or indeed if, we'll be lucky to see and hug our DGC and sons and daughters again...sad

MerylStreep Thu 25-Jun-20 12:32:48

I went along with the rules until Neil Ferguson and his married lover decided the rules didn't apply to them when they wanted to play Hide the Sausage.
From then on my attitude was: if it's ok for your girlfriend to come to your house, I'm going to my daughters.
If it's ok for him and his girlfriend to have skin contact ? it's ok for me to hug my daughter and grandchildren.
After that incident ( and many more) I said to them all ( metaphorically) well from now on you can all go and #**# yourselves.

BlueSky Thu 25-Jun-20 12:41:47

Meryl!!!grin

hapgran Thu 25-Jun-20 12:46:03

Sadgrandma- I think somewhere it says that from July 4th family members are allowed to provide childcare. What I don't get is that if, however, you are visiting or staying the night with one other household you still have to social distance. But you are obviously can't do that if you are providing the childcare. Confusing...?

Longdistancegrnny Thu 25-Jun-20 12:50:26

Here here BlueSky - my DD's area of Australia is reporting new cases and has gone a step backwards, wondering if that means even longer to wait before we can see them. But pleased for all you grans now cuddling away! My friend was able to form a bubble just in time for her DGS's 1st Birthday - it gave her so much joy.

Pippet Thu 25-Jun-20 13:22:21

❤️? Same my end. Take care

allium Thu 25-Jun-20 13:28:42

Can't see anything wrong.