Gransnet forums

Chat

Well done Amazon.

(38 Posts)
annsixty Thu 25-Jun-20 19:06:09

I make no apology for using Amazon, I can’t get out to shop and they are a lifeline.
This morning at 10:30 my GD told me I had bed head.
It has grown so much so I looked on Amazon and ordered some hair bands.
They were delivered at 6:30pm.
What service.
The fact that they look dreadful and don’t suit me is a drawback.

rubysong Thu 25-Jun-20 19:13:41

Not long now Annsixty. The hairdressers will soon be open again and we can get back to looking respectable. DH looks like a wild creature and I look like a shaggy sheepdog.

Sparklefizz Thu 25-Jun-20 19:20:19

I could not have managed during lockdown without using Amazon as I have a large number of allergies and food intolerances and buy a lot of weird and wonderful health foods which aren't stocked by the supermarkets. With all small health shops shut, I only had Amazon to rely on while I am shielding.

I am not keen on them normally, but credit where it's due. I signed up for Prime and have had the speediest deliveries ever, plus I've been able to watch films etc on Prime too.

PinkCakes Thu 25-Jun-20 19:22:30

I absolutely love Amazon (I've used it for years), and I've had everything from nail polish, hair colourants, to curtains and cat food. I pay so much a year (£78?) for Amazon Prime and certainly get my money's worth.

Kate1949 Thu 25-Jun-20 19:24:33

I agree ann I did the same. My hair system (I have alopecia) can't be maintained in lockdown and I am in a mess. Hairbands ordered from Amazon to the rescue. I look ridiculous in them but they are hiding my disastrous head smile

BlueSky Thu 25-Jun-20 19:35:26

Love Amazon, it has been even more valuable during lockdown. Speedy delivery, collection of returns if needed, hassle free refunds. Whatever you need look on Amazon!

quizqueen Thu 25-Jun-20 21:51:00

Yes amazon are very good at deliveries, morally though on the tax scene, I've read that they are not so good.

ladymuck Thu 25-Jun-20 21:58:17

I've been very impressed by Argos. My kettle gave up the ghost, so I went on-line and ordered a new one. This was at 10:am. Two hours later, it was delivered.

V3ra Thu 25-Jun-20 22:01:32

My son took a temporary job at Amazon while on furlough from his proper job. He was really impressed with the organisation, training and measures put in place for the current situation.
His friend has worked for them since last year and says they have been busier than ever during the lockdown.

merlotgran Thu 25-Jun-20 22:03:33

Amazon has been our lifeline during Lockdown. Much to our surprise we were able to find a spare part for our ride on lawnmower that even the local agricultural merchants couldn't locate.

We've had three or four deliveries a week. All manner of goods!

MiniMoon Fri 26-Jun-20 00:24:54

Just had my latest order from Amazon delivered today (well, yesterday now). A bedspread and pillow cases to match. I thought it might be cooler than my summer weight duvet. I like a bit of weight, and just a sheet over me is a bit flimsy.
Delivery date given was as 30th June, so it's four days early.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 26-Jun-20 07:42:19

They have been brilliant , all their delivery drivers have been polite and smiley, I know that due to Tax reasons we shouldn’t be using them but they are employing a lot of people.
If other companies were as good, then I would use them instead, but they aren’t We pay 7.99 a month which includes all deliveries, mostly, and we get Amazon Prime on TV, so it’s a bargain plus we are keeping our cars off the road.
Only 1gripe, sometimes the items are over packaged.

sodapop Fri 26-Jun-20 07:47:21

They can afford to do all this because they withhold taxes, conditions and pay for workers are poor also.
They have been useful in this crisis of course but at what cost.

Iam64 Fri 26-Jun-20 08:00:57

I tried to avoid using the evil empire because of the workers terms and conditions, the tax avoidance etc but - during lockdown I've found it invaluable.
The drivers are friendly, well trained in social distance and customer service.
I was isolating throughout lock down and only managed a supermarket priority 7 or 8 weeks in to this crisis. Amazon has been great.

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 08:25:00

I've used them too, despite reservations. I have used other firms as well.
My only gripe was that a puzzle I ordered for DH arrived poorly packaged, was bashed around and the actual puzzle was such dreadful quality that he gave up trying to finish it. Trying to complain was impossible.

Be careful, I got severely told off on GN for ordering online and told by another poster that I was putting people's lives at risk.
I thought I was helping to keep people in a job.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 26-Jun-20 08:31:26

Callistemon I’ve always found them very good with refunds, just got £11.55 refunded yesterday because the item hadn’t arrived, one item was damaged so they refunded the money and told me to keep the item, we managed to repair it and use it ( it was a bird feeder) , so fingers crossed it will continue that way.
Top Tip, press the Prime box, on the left hand side at the top When you do a search, that way it’s no hassle to get a problem sorted If you order via Prime.

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 08:47:43

I don't have Prime membership and normal channels of complaint seem to be shut down. It's all very odd, this item was offered by several companies but could all have been the same one based, I found out afterwards, in Wuhan; I put on a review but the item has been taken off Amazon now.
I lost the cost of that rubbish and had to order something else instead.

I'll try again, thanks Opsadaisy.

Maggiemaybe Fri 26-Jun-20 08:50:31

I’d been cutting down my Amazon use and doing more shopping locally before lockdown, but they have been invaluable. From DH’s Father’s Day presents and DGS2 and 3’s birthday presents and cards to little essentials like the desperately needed phone charger, toothbrush heads, a spider catcher and a couple of balls of wool when I ran out of all face colours for my dude dolls knitting. smile

Re working conditions, it’s good to read about your son’s experience, V3ra. They’ve had a lot of bad publicity around these, but many claims have been debunked. It’d be interesting to hear from others with actual experience of how they work. I certainly wish they’d pay more tax, and I think most of us would accept the increase to their prices this would inevitably cause. Wouldn’t we?

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 08:56:04

Would prices need to increase when the owner is the richest man the world? What does one person and his girlfriend do with all that wealth?
Although, as Dolly Parton said, "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap".

Maggiemaybe Fri 26-Jun-20 09:05:38

Well of course Jeff could take the hit and not notice the difference, Callistemon. But do you really think he would?

Susan56 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:11:17

Amazon have been our lifeline too during lockdown.

We have Amazon prime so free delivery and prime TV.I have just started a free trial of kindle unlimited and had some really good books.

V3ra Fri 26-Jun-20 13:10:57

I joined Amazon Prime when I needed silicone cupcake cases overnight for my granddaughter's birthday party last October.
Didn't intend to keep it going but have done as I like the e-books and TV channel.
There are some really lovely films of the Julia Donaldson children's books that we've been enjoying on a rainy day (last week!).

My son is back at his normal job now and is hoping the business recovers after lockdown, but says he would have no hesitation in applying to Amazon again if he needed to find another job.
He'd also been offered a temporary job at Ocado, but turned that down as Amazon pay so much more!

sodapop Fri 26-Jun-20 13:48:07

Amazon France had a court injunction to stop them trading for a time earlier this year in part due the poor working conditions of their employees.

allule Sat 27-Jun-20 10:47:08

I usually give grandchildren cash and a card for birthdays. Cash online is no problem now they all have their own bank accounts, but cards were a problem...getting someone to buy one and someone to post it. I suddenly thought...Amazon! Not a card, but a very small box of chocolates. With prime I did gift message, sent straight to birthday girl, cost not much more than card and postage, and more appreciated!

Amazon has been a lifesaver during lockdown with various medical supplies etc. available next day.

I have the same reservations as others, but all we can do is encourage the government to sort out the rules.

Galaxy Sat 27-Jun-20 10:56:31

Funky pigeon are good for cards online. I have used amazon a lot in lockdown but feel uneasy about it. Callistemon, after a couple of dodgy purchases I have found selecting items that are 'amazons choice' or best buy tends to avoid the more dodgy suppliers.