Gransnet forums

Chat

Embarrassing noisy neighbours

(146 Posts)
Grandma24 Fri 26-Jun-20 20:18:54

I would like some advice please if anyone has any suggestions. My neighbours possibly early 50s live in the house at the bottom of our garden . Twice now I have heard loud grunting noises coming from their windows.I don’t want to go into detail but I hope people on here can get the gist! I really don’t know what to do about it as I don’t want our guests/grandchildren listening to it. Should I shout up and tell them to shut the windows? I’m at a loss what to do.Help!

JuliaM Sun 28-Jun-20 17:28:58

Maybe a sound recording of the couples antics, date stamped and posted through their door, maybe with a simple title of 'Your latest Performance' and with a date and time stamped on it would alert them into the need for more privacy on these occasions?

JaneBD Sun 28-Jun-20 17:52:09

Yes we have the same problem with a couple two flats up from us! It goes on for ages and she moans and screams much like the cattle by the river! It's so loud she wakes us in the night.The boy upstairs laughs and recorded it.I don't really mind as I use earphones and music but my daughter finds it embarrassing!

jerseygirl Sun 28-Jun-20 18:30:26

I remember those days!! I am very jealous.

talula Sun 28-Jun-20 18:51:34

I agree with Lemongrass it could be Hedgehogs.

soozieee Sun 28-Jun-20 19:54:00

Post it, she must know their address

GrauntyHelen Sun 28-Jun-20 21:34:34

oh for goodness sake a couple in their own home are having sex get over yourself!

susie14 Sun 28-Jun-20 22:17:58

A couple of years back, we had the same problem. We’re on a main road and one of the rented flats opposite was the problem. The first time I heard the noise, I thought a woman was being murdered. A couple of nights later, the noise started, three girls walking home also thought a murder was happening as one started dialling the police. When she realised, she shouted up to them. This went on for a while. I was talking to one of the neighbours who said I looked tired so I explained delicately how the noise had kept me awake, they too had heard it and been disturbed by it. I ended up closing the windows and buying a fan and still the screaming could be heard.
So I wrote them a note, explaining it was great that they were having a good time but some of us liked our sleep and could they shut the windows etc. Gave the letter to hubby to post through the door after dark. Watched as he returned with the letter. Apparently there was more than one letterbox so we posted it to “Front flat”. A couple of weeks later I realised the noise had stopped. We think they eventually moved out.

Hubby said if we received a letter like that, he’d display it in pride of place.

I hope you find a solution that isn’t awkward for you or your neighbours.

Callistemon Sun 28-Jun-20 22:25:59

You could suggest magnesium tablets.
They help to alleviate cramp and cramp can make you grunt and shout.

Chewbacca Sun 28-Jun-20 23:01:07

grin Callistemon daft beggar! grin

Namsnanny Mon 29-Jun-20 01:41:44

Funnily enough Callistemon, many many years ago my H and I were staying at MIL's after a night out. When we came home the house was full of this rhythmic groaning!
We thought MIL and FIL were making the most of the empty house blush
We were so concerned not to embarrass them we stayed downstairs for the rest of the night!
Our excuse in the morning was we had one over the eight and didnt want to be far from the bathroom (which was downstairs!)
I always thought his mother clicked the real reason though, because she said at breakfast how she suffers with cramp in the night a lot.
Now you've got me wondering if she actually did!

Kryptonite Mon 29-Jun-20 07:53:31

Yet another reason we don't have neighbours. For anyone who finds the 'enjoyment of their home' being spoiled by noise, there's a lot more you can do these days: www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=70. And no, people cannot do whatever they like just because they're inside their own home. Either the couple don't realise their noise levels are carrying or they are exhibitionists.

Bumboseat1 Mon 29-Jun-20 08:49:18

Maybe you could post a letter of your concern though there letter box . Give it a go

JenniferEccles Mon 29-Jun-20 09:38:37

Am I the only one who thinks this is a wind up?

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 10:25:51

Chewbacca

grin Callistemon daft beggar! grin

You may laugh ...

Millie22 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:47:52

Actually we heard lots of howling last night but we're fairly sure it was foxes but now I'm not so sure ... defo think this post is a wind up but it's fun!!

annodomini Mon 29-Jun-20 12:23:41

Some people across the road had a dog outside in a kennel which barked loudly. probably when a cat passed by. I got very irritated by this. So I found out their phone number and rang them up when the barking started - at 2am, I said I would wake them if the dog woke me. They took the hint. Do you know the phone number of these 'active' neighbours? I'm not sure how you could put it, but I'm sure it would stop them in their tracks - as it were.

Grandma24 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:55:25

I assure everyone this isn’t a wind up. I am in a row of 4 detached houses, with the house in question built sideways to us, all we see is the side of the house with the bathroom window. Our patio is only one metre away. I put this post on for some sensible solutions.
In fact only yesterday, one of the neighbours went round to the woman in question to complain to her. She had been shouting over the fence for my neighbour to stop her dogs barking.So she went round and said if you have anything to say come and knock on my door.But was met with abuse, which is why I don’t want to knock on her door.

hollysteers Mon 29-Jun-20 14:46:03

I read that all drive in motels in America have piped music in the rooms (whether you want it or not) for this very reason. Thin walls problem.
What about some background music of your own?

pengwen Mon 29-Jun-20 16:24:02

We used to hear loud strange noises and loud bangs from the house next door( 30 years ago!)
I took a letter that had been delivered by mistake to our house.
She invited me in, and to my astonishment her children ran and jumped on the sofa, making the same strange noises and bangs we had heard through the walls.??

Scooty413 Mon 29-Jun-20 17:22:44

I would go in the garden with a cuppa, or a stiff gin, with a friend or my other half. I'd sit near enough to their open windows and have a loud conversation about how noise travels and did my friend /OH know what I'd heard just the other day whilst in the garden. Go on to explain that you weren't sure if it was badgers or wild pigs or whatever hahaha.

I wouldn't dare do what smile lemongrove smile suggested in case they took me up on the offer! grinwink