Gransnet forums

Chat

Useful, Simple, Household Objects.

(36 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 30-Jun-20 10:08:12

Setting off to do a bit of shopping this morning, I automatically used my trusty shoe horn to put my quite snug trainers on.
It’s black metal, with Salter’s for Boots embossed on the inside.
Inherited from my mum, probably my grandma before that.
Always been around throughout my childhood, always in use, just taken for granted.

A cheap little heirloom, but oh, so useful. It sits on its own little hook amongst the coats.

Wouldn’t be without it.

?????

Teetime Tue 30-Jun-20 10:33:20

I have a plastic thingy for getting hold of ring pulls on cans - its wonderful, cheap , efficient saves my sore fingers.

Elegran Tue 30-Jun-20 10:46:15

Before beer cans had ring pulls, you used to get a free thingy for punching holes in them - not as elaborate as a tin-opener, just a strong triangular metal point at the end, with a sort of hook near it to lever it into the can top. I still have several, many years old. Invaluable for punching holes in tins of evaporated milk.

HAZBEEN Tue 30-Jun-20 10:58:40

My clothes pegs! Beside using them for the obvious I use them when I change the duvet (see other thread!), some get used for closing bags of veg in the freezer, have been known to use them instead of pins when sewing, as paperclips when sorting filing etc. However invented spring pegs deserves a medal!

shysal Tue 30-Jun-20 11:27:02

My boiled egg decapitator.
Onion comb.
'Thumb' for holding my book in the bath.

Auntieflo Tue 30-Jun-20 12:16:23

Mine is my JarKey for loosening jar tops.

Elegran, I have one of those triangular opening thingy,
and I also have a very old, long slotted key for opening corned beef tins.

All so useful, but DH is good at finding new homes for them!

ninathenana Tue 30-Jun-20 12:21:49

Teetime I use the end of a spoon to leaver ring pulls.
A plastic pourer with a flip lid that screws onto milk cartons instead of the lid is one of my favourite little gadgets

Charleygirl5 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:23:35

I have mega problems using a can opener- the type which sits on the side of the can and apparently with little effort, only turning a handle, the can is opened. Not in this house. Maybe because I am left-handed- who knows. What I do use is the old fashioned gadget which stabs into the can and I work my way around the can. It belonged to my mother and she has been dead for 40 years.

chicken Tue 30-Jun-20 12:26:44

My trusty palette knife, bought 67 years ago while learning cookery . My teacher coveted it, but I had bought the last one in stock at a catering store. It has a beautifully fine tip which slides easily under biscuits etc, and a smooth wooden handle which fits my hand perfectly. I would be lost without it.

Elegran Tue 30-Jun-20 12:48:04

Charleygirl5 I used to have trouble with can openers,until I bought one that operated by moving a lever backwards and forwards instead of going round and round. It cuts by opening up the seam, not by cutting,so you don't get lethally sharp edges. It also has a hook for opening ringpulls - a very good buy.

(Spellchecker put lover instead of lever!)

Charleygirl5 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:13:38

Elegran I only seem to use it now when I buy cheap cans of anything- mainly tomatoes, which do not have a ring pull.

Lucca Tue 30-Jun-20 13:19:04

This plastic disc for opening jars. Invaluable.

Cabbie21 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:36:13

I struggle with ring pulls, even with a gadget. I would welcome a gadget that really works.
I have the same gadget as Elgran and Auntieflo, really useful.

Also useful is the remains of an old palette knife which I use to scrape spills off the ceramic hob.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:41:21

I've got a little hook which I can use to hang my handbag on the edge of a table instead of the floor - when I'm allowed out again. I'm sure I git it at a garden centre.

Your plastic disc, Lucca can also be used if you go abroad as a 'plug' if the sink is without one - I found that very useful in the days when we went camping.

You know those little brushes that men get with their electric shavers - which they hardly ever use? They're small enough to put in a toilet bag to brush your nails as they take up very little space.

Trisha57 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:42:08

My mum's "thingy" for blending fat and flour when I make pastry. Wooden handle with attached wires to cut through the fat. She bought it just before she got married at the Ideal Homes Exhibition in 1948! I remember using it when I was a child and am still using it regularly smile

aggie Tue 30-Jun-20 13:42:47

Oh Lucca I had one of those in green , but it has gone walkies, how I miss it and keep forgetting to buy another

NfkDumpling Tue 30-Jun-20 13:47:31

A good nailbrush. And my old bottle/jar opener which opens most things. It’s showing its age but I can’t find another like it.

Elegran Tue 30-Jun-20 13:53:43

I've bought one of those pastry blenders. Very useful, I don't get my fingers clagged up now when I make pastry.

shysal Tue 30-Jun-20 15:31:10

I read about the Zyllis manual pull food processor on GN. It is so much easier than the electric full size one, for small quantities.

gillybob Tue 30-Jun-20 15:38:41

I love mine shysal I bought it after seeing the Hairy Bikers using one on a TV program . Since then I have bought one each for my DS and DD . They are marvellous little gadgets.

JenniferEccles Tue 30-Jun-20 16:28:20

What a lovely manicured thumbnail shysal !

Nortsat Tue 30-Jun-20 17:20:26

Lucca I have two of those purple circles for getting the tops off jars. They are marvellous.
My cousin bought them for me, after she tried them herself.
They are from Lakeland.

My egg slicer belonged to my lovely mother and it must be 50 years old. It still slices and dices boiled eggs perfectly and is in regular use.

Fernbergien Tue 30-Jun-20 17:34:26

Elegran-I have one of those things. Mine also has a curved end as well with lever under. So good for loosening jar lids when trusty purple circle did not work.

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:41:23

shysal

My boiled egg decapitator.
Onion comb.
'Thumb' for holding my book in the bath.

You must have the neatest onions shysal ( I had never thought of combing them)?

I have an egg slicer bought for me by my Grandma nearly fifty years ago, at the time I thought ‘what the!’ But actually I have used it loads over the years.

Evie64 Tue 30-Jun-20 18:09:08

My MiL gave me a lovely brass bottle opener in the shape of a naked lady. I know it sounds odd, but it's beautiful and looks like something from the 1920s