Gransnet forums

Chat

Useful, Simple, Household Objects.

(37 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 30-Jun-20 10:08:12

Setting off to do a bit of shopping this morning, I automatically used my trusty shoe horn to put my quite snug trainers on.
It’s black metal, with Salter’s for Boots embossed on the inside.
Inherited from my mum, probably my grandma before that.
Always been around throughout my childhood, always in use, just taken for granted.

A cheap little heirloom, but oh, so useful. It sits on its own little hook amongst the coats.

Wouldn’t be without it.

?????

Franbern Tue 30-Jun-20 18:44:52

Glass lemon squeezer,- had mine since I married in 1964,the second one belonged to my parents - gave to my eldest daughter. Easy to use, and works so well.

Wonderful Lakeland Zester, which is easy to use, does not scrape my fingers, and holds all the zest in its own container.

Charleygirl, many years back (in the 1940's) I can remember my Mother using one of those can openers, it slipped and she nearly completely lost her thumb. After that, only my Dad was permitted to open cans in our home, until the arrival of safety openers.

DanniRae Tue 30-Jun-20 18:55:54

My favourite kitchen things - my klippits for sealing any sort of bags from cereals to frozen peas to plastic bread bags. Brought from Lakeland years ago.
Also from Lakeland my metal tongs - so useful for turning hot things, serving hot things like chips, roast potatoes or spaghetti
Finally a metal tablespoon that was my mum's - the end is worn away from years of stirring. Every time I use it I have such happy memories of my mum! smile

Purpledaffodil Tue 30-Jun-20 19:10:06

Viners stainless steel tongs which were wedding presents x 2 more than 50 years ago, I think they were intended as salad servers as the ends are shaped like that. I use them as servers for anything and also for serving out sausages etc .

grandtanteJE65 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:22:54

I have ye original potato masher! It belonged to my grandmother, and I have always suspected it came from the hotel in Leith that her parents owned and ran.

Evie, it sounds as if you have the same bottle opener as the one my husband liberated from a boat club. He was gallant enough to say she resembles me!

DanniRae Mon 06-Jul-20 08:32:20

Ever since a Gransnetter recommended bags of frozen mashed potato (Sainsburys) I have no need of my potato masher. My home made mash was always lumpy anyway!! smile

Witzend Mon 06-Jul-20 08:49:30

I love my bog-standard old glass lemon squeezer, too.
Fancier ones that work no better cost £££.

I found a standard glass one for a dd in a small hardware shop - dept.stores don’t seem to stock them any more (I did look) - presumably not trendy or expensive enough.

Kittye Mon 06-Jul-20 08:58:50

Witzend John Lewis stock the glass lemon squeezer. They cost £8. I’ve got one that I’ve had for years but can’t remember where I bought it from or what it cost. Just love the look and feel of it. So much better than metal or plastic
I have a Jamie Oliver potato masher rather expensive but it does a good job..no lumps ?

travelsafar Mon 06-Jul-20 09:06:29

My electric can opener my mum bought me many years ago.

Like others, a circular piece of rubbery material which helps open bottles etc.

A small and pretty container for putting pills in for the day. It was my mum's. Sometimes forget if i have taken a pill or not. Each morning i put three into it , take one and the others are for lunch time and teatime. smile

Chewbacca Mon 06-Jul-20 09:14:45

Potato peeler. Does the usual job but has also come in useful as a emergency small screwdriver when a pan handle had worked loose. I've also used the pointy end of a spud peeler to prise out heavy duty staples in a cardboard box.

Framilode Mon 06-Jul-20 09:45:59

I mash my potatoes with an electric hand mixer, a la Delia. Smooth potatoes and quick and easy.

Calendargirl Mon 06-Jul-20 09:55:29

£8 for a glass lemon squeezer!

Strewth!

Bet you can buy one for 50p in a charity shop or car boot sale.