Gransnet forums

Chat

Useful, Simple, Household Objects.

(36 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:13:38

Elegran I only seem to use it now when I buy cheap cans of anything- mainly tomatoes, which do not have a ring pull.

Elegran Tue 30-Jun-20 12:48:04

Charleygirl5 I used to have trouble with can openers,until I bought one that operated by moving a lever backwards and forwards instead of going round and round. It cuts by opening up the seam, not by cutting,so you don't get lethally sharp edges. It also has a hook for opening ringpulls - a very good buy.

(Spellchecker put lover instead of lever!)

chicken Tue 30-Jun-20 12:26:44

My trusty palette knife, bought 67 years ago while learning cookery . My teacher coveted it, but I had bought the last one in stock at a catering store. It has a beautifully fine tip which slides easily under biscuits etc, and a smooth wooden handle which fits my hand perfectly. I would be lost without it.

Charleygirl5 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:23:35

I have mega problems using a can opener- the type which sits on the side of the can and apparently with little effort, only turning a handle, the can is opened. Not in this house. Maybe because I am left-handed- who knows. What I do use is the old fashioned gadget which stabs into the can and I work my way around the can. It belonged to my mother and she has been dead for 40 years.

ninathenana Tue 30-Jun-20 12:21:49

Teetime I use the end of a spoon to leaver ring pulls.
A plastic pourer with a flip lid that screws onto milk cartons instead of the lid is one of my favourite little gadgets

Auntieflo Tue 30-Jun-20 12:16:23

Mine is my JarKey for loosening jar tops.

Elegran, I have one of those triangular opening thingy,
and I also have a very old, long slotted key for opening corned beef tins.

All so useful, but DH is good at finding new homes for them!

shysal Tue 30-Jun-20 11:27:02

My boiled egg decapitator.
Onion comb.
'Thumb' for holding my book in the bath.

HAZBEEN Tue 30-Jun-20 10:58:40

My clothes pegs! Beside using them for the obvious I use them when I change the duvet (see other thread!), some get used for closing bags of veg in the freezer, have been known to use them instead of pins when sewing, as paperclips when sorting filing etc. However invented spring pegs deserves a medal!

Elegran Tue 30-Jun-20 10:46:15

Before beer cans had ring pulls, you used to get a free thingy for punching holes in them - not as elaborate as a tin-opener, just a strong triangular metal point at the end, with a sort of hook near it to lever it into the can top. I still have several, many years old. Invaluable for punching holes in tins of evaporated milk.

Teetime Tue 30-Jun-20 10:33:20

I have a plastic thingy for getting hold of ring pulls on cans - its wonderful, cheap , efficient saves my sore fingers.

Calendargirl Tue 30-Jun-20 10:08:12

Setting off to do a bit of shopping this morning, I automatically used my trusty shoe horn to put my quite snug trainers on.
It’s black metal, with Salter’s for Boots embossed on the inside.
Inherited from my mum, probably my grandma before that.
Always been around throughout my childhood, always in use, just taken for granted.

A cheap little heirloom, but oh, so useful. It sits on its own little hook amongst the coats.

Wouldn’t be without it.

?????