Gransnet forums

Chat

Well now I ve got a dilemma

(269 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 30-Jun-20 22:37:22

My Victorian house has a fireplace in my bedroom one of those rather lovely old bedroom black lead fireplaces with a trapdoor
Well I m lying in bed hearing a lot of scuffling behind the trapdoor and realise a bird has fallen down the chimney so I pulled the curtains right back and opened the window then opened the trapdoor and there is a largish bird I can’t see its head just it’s legs and a bit of the body but the darned thing is sitting there not coming out I think it may be a rather large young seagull and I m a bit loathe to stick my arm in to get it out but I also can’t sleep with it sitting there
Watch this space

Squiffy Sat 08-Aug-20 14:40:10

I’m so pleased - and relieved - that Stephen’s still around. It’s thanks to your loving care BlueBelle. I hope he pops back from time to time when he’s a Proper Adult! This is a truly heartwarming saga ♥️?

SueDonim Sat 08-Aug-20 14:41:14

This article is in my local paper today.

MissAdventure Sat 08-Aug-20 15:05:25

smile
Oh, this is lovely! (Sort of)
It looks like it's Stephen back again.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Aug-20 18:44:24

I understand I shouldn’t be feeding him suedronin but he’s on a plastic roof there is nothing for him to peck or get any goodness from If I didn’t put food and water out he would perish
I see the mother very occasionally drop onto the roof for just a few moments but she never brings him any food
As soon as I know he can take off I will stop putting anything out for him he can find his own way but I can’t just let him die after all his adventures can I ?

SueDonim Sat 08-Aug-20 20:04:34

Oh, I wasn't implying you were wrong, Bluebell, far from it! smile He can’t get food for himself where he is so I think you’re doing a good thing. It was more that it said that mother seagulls don’t really feed their young at all, they have to fend for themselves from the start and that they jump out of the nest, too.

Stephen has done a good job in looking after himself - he’s got you well-trained! grin

SueDonim Mon 10-Aug-20 12:52:03

I was briefly at a seaside town yesterday, and observed the seagulls quite closely! grin Many of the babies seem able to fly now and lots of others can apparently swim. ?

I hope Stephen is flying now.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-20 19:08:00

If anyone is still interested Stephen had another adventure today, I came down for breakfast, got his sardines ready to take out but no sign of him, anyway his mum was around sitting looking left, right, up and down but not a sign of him I did my clucking noises, but nothing, I got ready for work and before I went I tried the garden again but same thing no sign he wasn’t anywhere his mum was still around on the chimney, then on the flat roof, turning her head one way then the other I presumed Stephen had had his maiden flight and took off and she was waiting for him to turn up
I went to work when I came back I went to have another look and I could hear some flapping noise went to where I heard it looking down into the neighbours ‘full of rubbish’ garden I could see two big wings in a kind of skip with all sorts of rubbish in it and there was Stephen, obviously fell off the roof into the rubbish bin and was flapping his wings to try and get out I stood on a big pot and managed to reach over into the neighbours garden,( hoping nobody was watching) I grabbed a wing as gently as possible and got my arms around his body and pulled him back onto the roof and he’s been there ever since
He definitely should be flying by now and I’m thinking perhaps when he fell off into the rubbish he may have been trying to take off anyway he’s back on the flat roof now and mum is nowhere in sight She’s obviously happy he’s safe
Hes had his tea tonight and he’s been playing with the feeding pot throwing it around
I ll be glad when he takes off I wonder if he’s later because he’s not got a mum to push him out the nest !

MissAdventure Thu 13-Aug-20 20:42:31

I wonder if he's a bit of a late developer because of being parted from his mum?

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-20 21:51:12

Yep that’s exactly what I think MissA he’s not got anyone to push him and also he’s a bit low down to get the necessary purchase to take off so I m hoping if I can keep him safe for anther week he should be strong enough
His wings were blooming big today when I grabbed him

seacliff Thu 13-Aug-20 21:55:38

Bluebelle to the rescue yet again! ha ha poor old Stephen, he needs a bit of help, so lucky you are there. Perhaps you should stand in the back garden flapping your arms and jumping up and down? grin

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 23:04:36

Some children take longer to leave home than others!

Squiffy Thu 13-Aug-20 23:29:53

BlueBelle I half expected to read that you reached over and ended up in the bin yourself! You deserve a ?for your kindness and perseverance!

I so hope that Stephen is going to make it and that you are able to watch him take his maiden flight.

SueDonim Fri 14-Aug-20 00:52:30

Oh Bluebelle Stephen Sebastian is leading you a merry dance, isn’t he? I’m beginning to think you’ve got a lodger for life. grin

BlueBelle Fri 14-Aug-20 05:25:48

I hope not suedomin he’s costing me about £2 a day ?as soon as I see him take his maiden voyage hes on his own haha
But he has been fun to follow for the last two months

seacliff Fri 14-Aug-20 06:27:32

This could make a great children's book. Imagine the illustrations.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Aug-20 08:09:19

I m thinking about it ......???

Come on Stephen you know you want to just that first flap and you’re up up and away

Susan56 Fri 14-Aug-20 08:25:33

I think Stephen doesn’t realise he’s a seagull Bluebelle!Either that or he likes his surrogate mum providing him with his food in a bowl everyday!

Squiffy Fri 14-Aug-20 10:37:01

He’s looking like a proper seagull now he’s lost his fluffiness!

Could you catch him and tie a string to him and try to fly him like a kite until he gets the idea of how to fly? *

* that is not a serious suggestion just in case anyone thinks it is!

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 10:41:03

He sounds like the Boomerang Kid.

Come on Stephen, get flapping.

SueDonim Fri 14-Aug-20 14:20:03

He looks quite magisterial there, Bluebelle! If he does decide to stay on with you, tell him to get a job and pay you board & lodging. grin

Bridie22 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:47:33

Sorry Blubelle, but you are going to have to get the ladder out, get on the roof and show him how it's done !!!
You have made him to comfy, after a few false starts and lots of sliding up and down the kitchen roof our late flyer has finally flown...so there is still hope for Sebastian.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Aug-20 19:30:57

I m so happy I ve just seen him on my shed roof,making a big grown up noise shouting at his mum, she shouted back he’s flapped his wings and flown off the roof
Hess up up and away whoppee
No more smelly sardines he’s on his own now

Have a happy life Stephen

SueDonim Fri 14-Aug-20 19:47:39

Hurrah! ? ? Well done, Stephen Sebastian, enjoy your world.

Thank you, Bluebelle for this entertaining thread, with all its ups and downs and a happy ending. ❤️

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 19:52:00

Actually, I just shed a tear.
I feel quite emotional.
How silly, it must be the glass of wine I had.

Au revoir Stephen, please call in from time to time to say hello!
Cheers! Here's to a happy and healthy future ?

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 19:52:20

Well done Bluebelle