Gransnet forums

Chat

How can they do this to people

(86 Posts)
Sar53 Thu 02-Jul-20 14:44:56

I haven't seen my eldest daughter and family, SIL and three granddaughters since February. They live about a three hour drive away. A couple of weeks ago my daughter told me that they had booked a night in a local hotel to us, part of a big chain, for the Saturday after next. They would arrive Saturday morning and go home Sunday afternoon and we would spend time together, mainly outdoors. Everyone was really looking forward to seeing each other and making plans.
Yesterday lunchtime my daughter received an email from the hotel saying that they were not now opening. There are two hotels near us, part of the same group and neither were opening. No explanation was given.
As there are five of them they need two rooms and all that are available locally are incredibly expensive just for one night.
To say we are all disappointed is an understatement.
The journey to them and back in one day is just too long and tiring for any of us and my DH and I are not keen at staying in a hotel just yet.
I think my daughter will be sending a very strongly worded email to whom it may concern. I'm sure that they are not the only family that are unhappy.
I don't understand how they can say they are opening, take bookings and then suddenly decide to shut up shop again.

rowyn Fri 03-Jul-20 10:27:16

I'm with LucyBelle. Haven't seen my daughter and family since before Christmas2019 and have been in Lockdown on my own . They also live about a 3 hour drive from me. I see no prospect of when I will next see them but I would rather they stayed safe than make a risky journey. We've just got to grin and bear it.
I'm quite sure the hotel would open if it could - they're losing money otherwise.

knspol Fri 03-Jul-20 10:28:23

So disappointing for you. Haven't seen my family and GD since Christmas. They were due to stay in May but that was cancelled of course and now due to stay in August but as DH is on the shielded list they are very concerned about even coming then. A real dilemma.

Nannan2 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:30:25

How about holiday cottages? Im sure if you google it, it will come up, then theres bound to be something on it.Be practical, instead of just moaning.hmm

jaylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 10:40:46

Disappointing, but as the "advice " from the government changes almost hour to hour, it seems, I am not surprised.
Maybe it's a case of the hotel jumping in too soon and assuming that something was going to be allowed when it isn't or maybe it comes down to staffing, or the fact that some hotels are currently being used as living accomodation for the homeless - this use has been extended in some areas until the end of August at least.
The meeting half way is a good idea - at least in England , from tomorrow, you will be able to meet up and have a meal in a pub and go to a park, I believe.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 03-Jul-20 10:40:58

Sar53
You can't understand etc etc You and me both.
No excuse given and hotel no doubt running around like headless chickens comes to mind and the ones to suffer are the public.
The hospitality trade was a no go zone from day one of this virus and the hotel was wrong in making promises they could not keep. Has your D thought of compensation ?after all if the role were reversed .and D had made a last minute cancellation, could be a different ball game ??

Esmerelda Fri 03-Jul-20 10:46:52

I hope that now you've got over your initial disappointment (and read some of the sensible replies to your post) you will realise that you really have nothing to be aggrieved about. There are much worse things happening right now and you can be sure this wasn't done deliberately by the hotel chain. They (and their workers) will be far more desperate to open (and keep their jobs) than you and your family are to see each other.

As someone has already said, it's not the end of the world. Just be thankful that you and your family are all well and no-one has had a vital operation cancelled, as has Struggling's husband and many others I'm sure. Save any strongly worded complaints for something serious and pray it never happens and you never need to write them.

ExD Fri 03-Jul-20 10:50:31

Is camping allowed yet? Do you have a garden large enough to accommodate a couple of tents?
Toilet arrangements would be your biggest problem, and if(like me) you only have one loo everyone will have to tramp through your house to use it. But you could get a takeaway meal and all eat al fresco (weather permitting) it could be quite fun.

grannybuy Fri 03-Jul-20 10:53:01

Struggling2dol - I can imagine how concerning that is ( my DH also has Parkinson's). I hope you get another app before too long. It does put things in perspective!

2mason16 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:56:55

We are in the same position. Son and family 3 hrs away. Haven't seen them since New Year. We aren't taking any chances and hope to meet half way soon in a nice park and just picnic in the sun!

threexnanny Fri 03-Jul-20 11:00:43

Just heard that a large privately owned hotel near us has gone into administration due to lack of cash flow in recent months. I doubt they will be the only ones unfortunately.

Lancslass1 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:05:06

It is very disappointing for you but perhaps when you find out why the hotel is not opening you may understand better..
Many of us with children and grandchildren who live thousands of miles away haven't seen our children and grandchildren for years.

Nannan2 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:06:06

Not mean to be harsh but todays my birthday and not seen most of AC& GC for months- most of them live almost 2hrs drive away..(including brand new GD)my only nearest one seen for 4 mins as she dropped something off last month, (since march)..so ive short shrift today for something that probably was beyond the hotels control.sorry..im sure they can rebook in a couple of wks maybe? A lot of places hospitality-wise are re-opening 16th.hmm

Nannan2 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:11:13

Asking for compensation will probably make the hotels situation worse, so DONT do that.im sure the deposit or balance repaid will suffice..

Nannan2 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:17:50

Struggling2dol, i do sympathise with you & your husbands situation.i hope things may improve (hospital appt-wise) and they may then move his op forward again.flowers for you both.flowers

icanhandthemback Fri 03-Jul-20 11:18:15

Struggling2do1, that must be gutting news and I hope they sort something out for your poor husband soon. flowers

I know it is really hard, Sar53, to not to have seen family but I'm afraid that this sort of thing will happen more and more as the Government play WhackaMole where there are peaks of the C19. Along with different bits of guidance that commercial ventures receive, they have to consider so many things and it is better for them to not open than have lots of criticism on review sites about how unprepared they are.
Whilst it is disappointing, it is surely better to have this cancelled rather than to be at risk. Maybe you will find another way but if not, things will move towards more normality and you will get to see your family.

focused1 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:30:27

I would write to CEO and make them aware that their website in incorrect . I wouldn't want to stay at any hotel at the moment . The linen , pillows , mattresses etc . I think what others have suggested - meet in the middle is a great way forward.

darbycall Fri 03-Jul-20 11:32:48

maybe they don't want to go the way we did here in the US. be in a rush to open and then the cases of the virus skyrockets. so disappointing though.

Millie22 Fri 03-Jul-20 12:01:59

What a fuss about a hotel booking. We're all having to wait to see our loved ones and just be patient. Having an appointment for a year ahead for surgery is unbearably cruel.

Hithere Fri 03-Jul-20 12:22:57

I understand the disappointment about the cancellation.

It doesnt mean this family reunion cannot happen.
Look for other accommodation options

I think the email complaining about it is an over reaction - we are still in the middle of a pandemic and the closure may have had to do with it.

I won't get into whether this trip is a good idea or not.

Juicylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 13:11:49

I think when government guidelines were made re hospitality they all were eager to open their doors, but then looking realistically what they need to do to keep people safe they’ve realised it’s a bigger task than first thought and with reduced staff. I know it’s disappointing but at least they are attempting to keep there customers safe by not just grabbing the money. What about Airbnb for the night there are some great ones about.

Chezabella Fri 03-Jul-20 13:41:05

Just a suggestion, is there a Youth Hostel you could all meet up at? Some are open and they usually have an assortment of room choices.

emmasnan Fri 03-Jul-20 14:43:41

They may have had a good reason for the cancellation. Its possible someone working there tested positive and so they have had to cancel to prevent infection spreading.
Many people haven't seen there family since February or before, be pleased that your family are all well and you will hopefully see them again soon, many will sadly not be able to do that.

Peardrop50 Fri 03-Jul-20 16:09:09

Gosh, how disappointing for you all but I'm afraid I agree with BlueBelle and others, these are difficult times for so many, a little sympathy and kindness to all, including the bigger companies, who are struggling to stay afloat wouldn't go amiss. Please don't write an angry letter.
You and your family have your health and haven't lost any money, for now we have to be grateful for small mercies and when you do get together it will be amazing.

Peardrop50 Fri 03-Jul-20 16:17:54

Struggling2dol and all others in such a worrying situation, hang in there and I hope things improve for you very soon.

chrissyh Fri 03-Jul-20 16:38:44

My friend lives 3 hours from her DD & family and they met halfway at a National Trust property. They took a picnic and, although the house was closed, enjoyed a nice day in the grounds. Perhaps this is something you can think of doing.