Gransnet forums

Chat

When was your last cuddle?

(94 Posts)
Daftbag1 Thu 02-Jul-20 21:04:25

When did you last have a cuddle, and be held tight?
I was just thinking, I'd love my husband to hold me tight and make me feel safe from the world. He won't, not because he doesn't love me, he does, but because he's not a 'cuddles' person. Neither of us are physically demonstrative, we missed out on the cuddles as children, and grew up two damaged souls. Just occasionally, I really wish I could be held tight, not in a sexual way, but just a 'let go of all my worries', way, to feel that I don't have the world on my shoulders!

DillytheGardener Fri 03-Jul-20 02:47:05

Before the lockdown, so I guess three months? My mathematics isn’t great.

kittylester Fri 03-Jul-20 07:32:06

Lots of times each day from dh! Far too long ago from our children and grandchildren.

DD1 and her children came on Wednesday and it was very difficult not to hug them.

Ii think lots of families were unhuggy when we were growing up.

Annie ((((hugs)))) - not the same, I know.

Marmight - I cant imagine it! sad

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jul-20 07:54:08

I don’t think families were so buggy in our time growing up although I never had any doubts about being loved perhaps I was Hugged and don’t remember I do remember one granddad was a very cuddly one
I don’t remember my last hug, the grandkids are all grown and nearly flown so it would only be on seeing then which isn’t very often now and of course no hugs at all with lockdown (They ve all been working and out and about etc) so probably my birthday beginning of march

I always greet friends with a hug and I miss that it, it feels so cold now

fevertree Fri 03-Jul-20 08:18:31

Evie smile your colleague sounds lovely!

BlueSky Fri 03-Jul-20 08:35:13

I never hug anybody apart from DH so this non contact period hasn't made much difference. DC and DGC abroad so last hug with them two years ago. But with DH yes we hug whenever we feel like it through the day for no special reason!

Feelingmyage55 Fri 03-Jul-20 08:43:59

Not since lockdown. I didn’t realise how much I would miss that.

ToadsMum Fri 03-Jul-20 09:05:25

I am very tactile and also seem to attract hugs BUT my husband is Adult Diagnosed Aspergers. We love each other very much but hugging not part of it unless I ask. Not usually a problem as friends hug and definitely DS and DDIL . But over three months? Top of my bucket list.

Coconut Fri 03-Jul-20 09:05:53

We were not cuddled as children, so I rectified that with my 3 and they were all eaten alive ! Am lucky enough now to live in the granny annexe of my DD house, so I get a daily hug from her and 13 year old GS .... plus a rhubarb and ginger gin from SIL ??

Juliet27 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:11:58

The last cuddle was this morning from the dog. He really does snuggle and would hug if he could.

winterwhite Fri 03-Jul-20 09:15:15

Afraid I rather dislike the word cuddle as now used, and esp as a noun. Times change. Like many on here, DH and I hug often, and also like many on here I can't remember my own parents doing the same. Bear hugs from my 3DD and older DGC are lovely, but I don't consciously miss them, and I certainly hope that social kissing and hugging all and sundry doesn't return.

Flakesdayout Fri 03-Jul-20 09:15:28

I've never been a cuddly type, think it was my upbringing, and my partner is the opposite, but we do not often cuddle. My sons are the same and we admit we are not an overly demonstrative family. My youngest will put an arm round me if I am upset or when I got bad news about my illness. I know they are different with their wives. Its a shame and I do wish things were different.

user2058 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:20:20

At the risk of sounding daft....... When REALLY desperate for a cuddle I lock the bathroom door, wrap my arms around myself and hold on for a couple of minutes.

Stoker48 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:25:54

I haven’t been hugged since lockdown either ....
Can I ask you non huggers if, deep down, you’d really like to hug?
I’m quite a tactile person and enjoy a heartfelt hug. I have two grown up sons. One is big on hugging, the other doesn’t seem to like it. Whenever I see him ( he lives 40 miles away and is quite a private person who keeps his cards close to his chest) doesn’t do hugs at all. I hug him when I see him but he stands there like a limp rag. I’ve asked him, on occasion, if he could put his arms round me when we hugged. He did but in a very half hearted way.
I love them both dearly. Wonder why both do different?

BBbevan Fri 03-Jul-20 09:26:33

With my DD , just before lockdown. With my DS ,DiL and DGDs , just before Christmas. They were all going away ,with the other GPS, over Christmas, and we didn’t manage to get to see them when they came home. Of course I have a cuddle with DH most days ?

Sugarpufffairy Fri 03-Jul-20 09:27:47

Marmight - I am in the same position as you. My parents and husband died. My parents didn't go in for lots of hugs but I always knew I was loved. My husband was not from a huggy family and also was very thin and boney but he did do the most marvellous hugs when he did hug me. He died 9 years ago. My DC have been so involved with their own lives that they have not noticed or understood my loneliness. I was rushing around helping them but when I became ill they had no time for me as I could not babysit.
9 years without a hug is hard going.

Aepgirl Fri 03-Jul-20 09:30:50

My ex-husband and I were great cuddlers, so since he left me in 2006 I have missed that more than anything. And now of course I haven’t had a cuddle from my family since the beginning of lockdown.

CassieJ Fri 03-Jul-20 09:43:20

I honestly can't remember, it is many, many years since I was last cuddled.
My adult child lives with me and he isn't a hugger.

I have had hugs off my parents [ not since lockdown ], but no cuddles for a very long time. I do miss that contact.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jul-20 09:44:48

I'm a non hugger, stoker and I really wouldn't like to.
It makes me thoroughly uncomfortable and anxious.

Elainecoley1957 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:46:10

I haven’t seen my granddaughters for 6 months! One is in Hong Kong and I won’t see her until December ?
My other baby is finally coming to Gloucestershire tomorrow from Preston! I cannot wait. She is only 18 months- it will be like meeting her for the first time. She is now talking and is a beautiful toddler. My arms are itching to hug her, talk to her, read her a bedtime story and share a few golden hours with the family.
My 5 children are my life. We lost 2 close family members during lockdown and a hug from Emily will be the best thing ever- a ray of eternal hope during a time of darkness for many.
Bring on the cuddles ?????

Alexa Fri 03-Jul-20 09:52:18

I like cuddling only when it is genuine. When I have been at a church and they do that do that cuddling thing half way through it's not spontaneous.

I just cuddle my dog now but have to be careful she does not put a paw in my eye.

Beanie654321 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:55:18

This morning. My DH always gives me a hug, well at least 3 daily so I think I may have had your share over past 40 years. Also of men of that age find it difficult to show affection, but still love another. Xxx

Purplepoppies Fri 03-Jul-20 10:01:13

I got great hugs from my dd and granddaughters last week and will get more at the weekend ?

Nortsat Fri 03-Jul-20 10:05:46

Yesterday evening ... as we passed in the hall ...

Marthjolly1 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:26:53

OH and I are very affectionate to each other and will peck and/or hug a few times during most days. We hold hands through the night. There was never any physical contact at home when I was young but once I left home I found myself easily hugging people. One daughter still loves a cuddle, the other suffers it or shrugs me off. The GC hugs are the best. Cant wait til I see them again, it's been 6 months now.

BeenBizzy Fri 03-Jul-20 10:31:47

Lost my darling after 51years nearly two years ago. My son who visited me every week gave me a big hug when he was leaving. Covid 19 has put a stop to that.
The end of July if all restrictions are lifted he will be back. ??????